Flying with ski gear.

Old March 23rd 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
stenor1

Default Flying with ski gear.

Starting to think about planning a ski trip out of my local region for next season. Wondering a bit about the logistics of flying with ski gear. Anyone ever fly with a Transpack boot/helmet bag and take it as carry-on ? Were you allowed to & did it fit in the overhead bins?

I understand that, with most airlines, when you travel with a ski & boot bag, the boot bag plus the ski bag counts as one checked bag, but the boot bag can contain only the boots, so I guess a Transpack with helmet inside would not qualify, so figuring we'd take it as a carry-on ...

Anyone done this and how did it work out?

Thanks. --Scott
Old March 23rd 15, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:41:45 -0700 (PDT), stenor1
wrote this crap:

Starting to think about planning a ski trip out of my local region for
next season. Wondering a bit about the logistics of flying with sk
i gear. Anyone ever fly with a Transpack boot/helmet bag and
take it as carry-on ? Were you allowed to & did it fit in
the overhead bins?

I understand that, with most airlines, when you travel with a
ski & boot bag, the boot bag plus the ski bag counts as one
checked bag, but the boot bag can contain only the boots, so
I guess a Transpack with helmet inside would not qualify, so
figuring we'd take it as a carry-on ...

Anyone done this and how did it work out?

Thanks. --Scott

No problem, Scott. (I wouldn't admit to that name around here.) I
have an oversized gym bag which I put my boots in and my personal gear
and clothing which I carry on. I have a custom made ski bag which I
check. This ski bag is big enough to put clothing in, too. But be
sure to put a cloth or canvas bag over the skis when you put them
inside the checked bag or the ski edges might cut up your clothing.

Another tip is to bring old clothing and underwear when traveling. You
can throw out the old stuff after wearing it and buy new stuff to take
back. Who doesn't like to have a new sweatshirt to show off after you
get home? I've got sweatshirts from all over the country, and some
from Europe.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old March 25th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/22/2015 10:41 PM, stenor1 wrote:
Starting to think about planning a ski trip out of my local region for next season. Wondering a bit about the logistics of flying with ski gear. Anyone ever fly with a Transpack boot/helmet bag and take it as carry-on ? Were you allowed to & did it fit in the overhead bins?

I understand that, with most airlines, when you travel with a ski & boot bag, the boot bag plus the ski bag counts as one checked bag, but the boot bag can contain only the boots, so I guess a Transpack with helmet inside would not qualify, so figuring we'd take it as a carry-on ...

Anyone done this and how did it work out?

Don't check your boots. You can rent skis and even helmets but you
can't rent ski boots. Those things they offer to newbies to put on
their feet are not ski boots - it is impossible to ski in those things,
just look at how people in rental boots move - that is not skiing, it's
flailing uncontrollably.

Bring everything you need for the first day in carry-on. Boots, ski
pants, parka, gloves, base layers, mid layers, helmet, etc. That way if
your checked baggage is delayed you can rent skis while you wait for it
to arrive.

I have a small-ish soft sided bag that holds my boots, parka, pants,
base layers, etc, and a small backpack that holds my helmet, gloves,
goggles, etc. The bag with boots goes in the overhead, the backpack goes
under the seat. No problem, even with the small overheads on the
regional jets.

You will need to check your emergency rum flask. That's the one
essential you may have to do without for a day.

--
//Walt
Old March 25th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:49:28 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

You will need to check your emergency rum flask. That's the one
essential you may have to do without for a day.

You can always buy another emergency rum flask if your baggage is
late.