Great day in the Jackson Hole backcountry

Old March 8th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Great day in the Jackson Hole backcountry

I had a great ski yesterday at Jackson Hole. This year's trip was
better than last, because the snow held up all day. Jackson Hole is a
great area, with lots of terrain for everybody. It was fun to bomb the
groomed blue and black cruisers, and there were lots of them that
dropped steadily for almost 3000'.

But the highlight of the day was skiing the backcountry with an expert
guide.

Jeff Davis was a wonderful and gracious host, as he took me back into
Cody Basin and Rock Garden. It's great to have all that expertise in
skiing, avalanche and mountaineering. He regaled me with stories about
Jackson and Denali as we swapped mountaineering stories.

He's a geat skier. He showed me one trick and within 15 minutes my
skiing improved immensely. Use the same technique on groomers, moguls
and backcountry powder. Lifting the inside ski and having almost all
the weight on the outside ski, I could really feel the parabola of the
carve, and the skis did more work for me. It worked great for me in
the pow, the chowder and the groomers.

He pointed out all the local legendary routes, and found one between
two notorious avalanche-prone areas, that had never avalanched and
probably never would. He also pointed out some inbounds areas on the
lower mountain where people had been killed, and where one buried a
condo-to-base chairlift.

He also told stories about friends who had made the winter first Grand
Traverse, stories about his days with the guide service, and other
local legends.

All in all, it was a great day!

Bert
Old March 8th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 8, 3:59 am, Harry wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:38:02 -0800 (PST), wrote
this crap:

He also told stories about friends who had made the winter first Grand
Traverse, stories about his days with the guide service, and other
local legends.

All in all, it was a great day!

Bert

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."

I see old "inflatable" still has a need to go out trolling.
Old March 9th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Harry Weiner wrote:

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. Bert has
never caused you harm. When you publish offensive insults out of hand it
questions the veracity of anything you publish.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old March 9th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 9, 12:23*am, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
In article ,

Harry Weiner wrote:

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. *Bert has
never caused you harm. *

Skied 55 years and doesn't know how to lift the inside ski?

When you publish offensive insults out of hand it
questions the veracity of anything you publish. *

Wrap that up and sent it to Scott.

Old March 9th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Jeff Davis wrote:

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years.

holy cow, I'm having a Travis Bickle moment...

But anyway, yeah, Bert has some ski history, and has occasionally posted
historical memoir, in which I for one am interested. I for one wish he'd
post more early skiing reminisces ... and less of the other stuff ...
Old March 10th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 9, 4:23 am, Harry wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 07:23:57 -0000, (Jeff Davis)
wrote this crap:

In article ,
Harry Weiner wrote:

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. Bert has

No I'm not. Truth is all I speak.

never caused you harm. When you publish offensive insults out of hand it
questions the veracity of anything you publish.

You don't even know what, "veracity," means. Wait... I'll use it in
a sentence. "When I'm driving real fast, my car is at High Veracity."

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."

Just for the record:

On Mar 9, 4:23 am, Harry wrote:
You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. Bert has

No I'm not. Truth is all I speak.

Sure sounds defamatory to me. If anybody ever took anything you say
seriously, it could even be actionable. But you're safe with the
"idioit's defense."

Bert
Old March 10th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Harry Weiner wrote:

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. Bert has
never caused you harm.

Skied 55 years and doesn't know how to lift the inside ski?

Wrong again, Richard. In the old days of wooden skis, that was the
only way to plow through "Snoqualmie Powder" (a.k.a. liquid cement).

Bert
Old March 10th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 9, 8:10*pm, wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:36 am, Richard Henry wrote: On Mar 9, 12:23 am, (Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ,

Harry Weiner wrote:

Did your wife work the truck stops, again, to pay for the trip?

You are denigrating a 63 year old man who has skiied 55 years. *Bert has
never caused you harm.

Skied 55 years and doesn't know how to lift the inside ski?

Wrong again, Richard. In the old days of wooden skis, that was the
only way to plow through "Snoqualmie Powder" (a.k.a. liquid cement).

You're going to break Jeffie's heart.

Jackson Hole Ernie Alpine Skiing 1 April 5th 07 01:29 AM
Jackson Hole...here WE come slownlow North American Ski Resorts 2 January 20th 05 09:10 PM
Jackson Hole Sam North American Ski Resorts 2 November 21st 04 10:04 AM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM