Marmot Lodge in Jasper, Alberta

Old June 17th 05, 12:02 PM
Slaughterhouse

Default Marmot Lodge in Jasper, Alberta

Good day, I will be heading to Jasper in the 2006 season and have put a
reserve on a room in Marmot Lodge in Jasper. Anyone have any opinions of the
place? Thanks!

Old June 21st 05, 09:54 PM
stuart

"Slaughterhouse" wrote in message
Good day, I will be heading to Jasper in the 2006 season and have put a
reserve on a room in Marmot Lodge in Jasper. Anyone have any opinions of
the place? Thanks!

Most of the hotels in Jasper are similar. It's got basic comfortable rooms
with TV, pool etc. Its right on the main street. Jasper is generally VERY
quite during ski season as the ski hill is located well inside a national
park. FANTASTIC ski area.

PS Don't tell your friends about Marmot Baisn ski area. We don't care for
line ups and rude Europeans, unless you are a really rude german skier.
they're funny as hell. You'll have a good time...

Old June 22nd 05, 12:03 PM
Slaughterhouse

"stuart" wrote in message

"Slaughterhouse" wrote in message
Good day, I will be heading to Jasper in the 2006 season and have put a
reserve on a room in Marmot Lodge in Jasper. Anyone have any opinions of
the place? Thanks!

Most of the hotels in Jasper are similar. It's got basic comfortable
rooms with TV, pool etc. Its right on the main street. Jasper is generally
VERY quite during ski season as the ski hill is located well inside a
national park. FANTASTIC ski area.

PS Don't tell your friends about Marmot Baisn ski area. We don't care for
line ups and rude Europeans, unless you are a really rude german skier.
they're funny as hell. You'll have a good time...

Hey, thanks! I've lived in Edmonton for 24 years and have not ONCE set foot
in Jasper (Born and raised in Calgary so it was always Sunshine, etc). This
is going to be a blast!!

Old June 22nd 05, 08:00 PM
stuart

"stuart" wrote in message

"Slaughterhouse" wrote in message
Good day, I will be heading to Jasper in the 2006 season and have put a
reserve on a room in Marmot Lodge in Jasper. Anyone have any opinions of
the place? Thanks!

Most of the hotels in Jasper are similar. It's got basic comfortable
rooms with TV, pool etc. Its right on the main street. Jasper is
generally VERY quite during ski season as the ski hill is located well
inside a national park. FANTASTIC ski area.

PS Don't tell your friends about Marmot Baisn ski area. We don't care for
line ups and rude Europeans, unless you are a really rude german skier.
they're funny as hell. You'll have a good time...

Hey, thanks! I've lived in Edmonton for 24 years and have not ONCE set
foot in Jasper (Born and raised in Calgary so it was always Sunshine,
etc). This is going to be a blast!!

Its my favorite ski hill. They have very dry powder when it gets snow. Last
year was very good. I would definitely check conditions beforehand, because
Jasper is in the lee side of the mountains and can have low snowfall
winters. They are also not terribly honest about reporting snow conditions
on their website. For example, "Good conditions, packed powder, some natural
hazards exist" means 'skiable snow between zillions of rocks'. In other
words, don't bother. I would not spend money to go there unless they have AT
LEAST 120 cm base and are reporting fantastic conditions. That means the
skiing can range from reasonably good to exceptional. The problem they have
is that Jasper has no radar coverage with Environment Canada, so they can
get a fabulous dump of powder overnight, and there is really no way of
knowing what's on the hill until 8am that day, or when you get there.
You will love the terrain...the night life in Jasper is 'OK' but not too
many choices...

Old June 23rd 05, 05:40 AM
Slaughterhouse

"stuart" wrote in message
newsrjue.79323$9A2.35020@edtnps89...

[...]

This is really good info! I went to Banff last season and it was great but
after what I heard Jasper was getting there was just no other option for
next season. We are heading up at the beginning of March on the basis of
what the rest of Alberta is doing for snow and also that by the beginning of
March there should have been enough snowfall already to make a somewhat
decent base. Sound about right to you or is Jasper an anomoly? Thanks Stuart
for you time with this!

Old June 23rd 05, 04:53 PM
stuart

"stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, March/April are generally the best months at Marmot. I was at Banff and
Jasper this past season and there wasn't a big difference in conditions,
albeit I was at Sunshine later in the season. Marmot basin is notoriously
bad for painting a much rosier picture regarding conditions because they are
so out of the way, and desperately need skiers. They can have fantastic
conditions and no skiers, which is great if you are the skier, but not so
good if you are the resort.
I remember the crappy seaon we had two years ago, when, just before X-mas
they were reporting "Vastly improved conditions" I decided to stop over
coming back from Kamloops, and I made the mistake of bringing my new Salomon
skis. I literally hit a rock every second turn and ruined the bases. It was
the most god-awful skiing conditions I had seen in over 40 years. I emailed
then and suggested they should have been ashamed of themselves for their
reporting. They replied that they wouldn'y want to paint such a picture as
to discourage folks from coming out. I can understand their sentiment, but
it bit them terribely later offset the damage to their credibility.
The following year when conditions were actually good, nobody believed them,
so they were saying things like "best conditions in 10 years!!!" on their
website to lure the skiers back.

Old June 24th 05, 12:59 PM
Slaughterhouse

"stuart" wrote in message
[...]

THAT explains the "best in 10 years" statement in all the articles! Thank
you very much!