Mass Starts

Old January 1st 12, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

Default Mass Starts

I Love Them. When they were introduced in WC races in the mid 80's there
was a lot of opposition from some skiing countries and raised voices at
Team Managers meetings but that seems to have gone now.

I'm away from home and today watched on a small screen TV the Skiathlon
events in the Tour de Ski at Oberstdorf. In the mens race there was one
magic TVshot which I'd love to have as a still photo.
Taken from near the top of the last climb all the elite racers in the
Tour were in a group skating together and that just epitomises all the
developments in our sport, such as bonus points and team tactics.
If anybody has a way of capturing that shot I'd be happy to pay for a print.
DD
Old January 2nd 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'm not sure if quiet after some years is agreement. The skiers,
especially those who've been around for awhile, still seem to
appreciate individual start distance races.

Gene

Old January 6th 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

On Jan 3, 3:28*am, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" wrote:
wrote:
I'm not sure if quiet after some years is agreement. The skiers,
especially those who've been around for awhile, still seem to
appreciate individual start distance races.

Most plain mass start events, particularly skating where drafting helps
even more, tend to become rather boring.

It is just our luck that Petter N should turn up just at the time when
being able to sprint after (or in the middle of) a long race has become
so crucially important, but something like the men's 50k last year in
Holmenkollen had just two interesting questions:

1) Would Petter avoid any accidents/falls?

2) Who would end up in the second/third place?

It must be said that the TdS mass start version, with many bonus
points/seconds to be had in the middle of the race, is much better at
keeping the speed up.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

I must say that Petter's performance in the most recent TdS race was
rather disappointing in that he didn't help the other 3 guys at all
and then flew by at the end. That's his normal MO, but I don't see
how this can be satisfying for him, and furthermore if he would have
helped out a bit he would have helped his own position in the TdS vs
Cologna.

Jim

-Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

I must say that Petter's performance in the most recent TdS race was
rather disappointing in that he didn't help the other 3 guys at all
and then flew by at the end. That's his normal MO, but I don't see
how this can be satisfying for him, and furthermore if he would have
helped out a bit he would have helped his own position in the TdS vs
Cologna.

Petter never said anything about this, but the Norwegian head coach said
on NRK that the waxing crew had managed to give him bad skis twice on
this tour, including this race.

As we all know it is _really_ hard to drop Petter, particularly on a
skating race like this, so I believe that by the time Petter actually
gave up, he was pretty much wasted. To me it looked like he had more
than enough to do just to hang on to the end of the group that caught him.

Blowing past them on the final sprint is just being Petter, that doesn't
seem to have anything to do with form or ski glide. :-)

OTOH, Cologna did look a _lot_ fresher than Petter on all the sprint
rounds the day before , including the final. Thomas Alvsgaard on NRK was
quite worried at that time, and less surprised when Dario managed to
drop him on the long uphill.

Anyway, this tour is all wrapped up, the only remaining excitement in
the men's class is who will join Dario on the final podium?

Among the women we probably won't see any resolution before atleast
halfway up the final hill.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

And the season starts... [email protected] Nordic Skiing 15 November 23rd 10 06:32 AM
FIS WC starts tomorrow!!! Marty Alpine Skiing 0 October 26th 07 09:35 PM
Lovemaking starts at Snowland Suzieflame Alpine Skiing 1 September 25th 07 10:26 PM
Mass, Help Mike Alpine Skiing 1 December 16th 05 04:56 PM
Mpeg Races: Biathlon Mass starts Janne G Nordic Skiing 0 January 27th 04 10:21 AM