Cheap pass to Park City Utah?

Old January 6th 04, 12:01 AM
Ted

Default Cheap pass to Park City Utah?

Anyone know where to get discounted passes to Park City or The Canyons in
Utah?

TIA

TED

Old January 6th 04, 09:06 PM
paul m

REI on 3300 South sells park city passes for $55 and canyons passes for $49.

here's a link to their website:
http://www.rei.com/stores/saltlakecity/index.html

um, if you have your heart set on those two resorts, then cool, but if you
want this locals opinion, forget about those two resorts and go to snowbird,
alta or brighton instead. all three are cheaper and a *lot* better.

Old January 7th 04, 09:20 PM
Ted

Ted wrote:

Anyone know where to get discounted passes to Park City or The Canyons

in
Utah?

TIA

TED

I live in Midway... its closer to home... and I have been to all of those
and work agree to some degree with you. Thanks!

Old January 7th 04, 11:08 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
paul m wrote:

um, if you have your heart set on those two resorts, then cool, but if you
want this locals opinion, forget about those two resorts and go to snowbird,
alta or brighton instead. all three are cheaper and a *lot* better.

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton? We are talking about the one in Utah
owned by the Boyne family, not the one just south of I-96 in Michigan,
you know. (Even bw won't go to that one.)

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 8th 04, 12:02 AM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

paul m wrote:

um, if you have your heart set on those two resorts, then cool, but if you
want this locals opinion, forget about those two resorts and go to snowbird,
alta or brighton instead. all three are cheaper and a *lot* better.

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton?

Have you been there? The one in Utah, I mean?

Old January 8th 04, 01:30 AM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton?

Have you been there? The one in Utah, I mean?

Yeah, I have. Too much loose snow, and not nearly enough of the extra
firm(TM), but otherwise a pretty good hill. Less crowded than PCMR.

Definitely the Brighton to ski if you have to ski a hill named Brighton.

--
// Walt
//

Old January 8th 04, 05:32 PM
paul m

Walt wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton?

Have you been there? The one in Utah, I mean?

Yeah, I have. Too much loose snow, and not nearly enough of the extra
firm(TM), but otherwise a pretty good hill. Less crowded than PCMR.

Definitely the Brighton to ski if you have to ski a hill named Brighton.

i dunno where lal truckee is going with this, but brighton, utah is a
kickass resort. period.

yes, its small, and has shorter runs (1750' vert) compared to all the other
resorts mentioned, BUT it has good fall line (reins, clarks, millicent bowl,
hidden canyon), lots of kickass tree runs, tons of backcountry access and
good variation. it certainly has its limitations...i'd rather be at the
bird or snowbasin on a dump day, but brighton has the ability to hold snow
for a week or more after a storm, when the bird or the canyons has long
since been tracked out completely. the backcountry access is great. i love
the short hikes to good turns (10420', snake creek, pioneer, twin lakes,
etc).

funny side note... as a detroit boy, i learned to ski on the *other*
brighton. the one in michigan. the one with 250 vert. the one where my
first ski experience was marred by my best friend breaking his leg on the
way UP the tow rope the first time.
i went back there with my board last year and even tho i had told myself not
to think about it in the same way i judge resorts out here, i was amazed.
10+ lifts in such a little space and alllll those people!!! oh my heck! i'm
glad i live here now!

oh and ted, i'm sorry but i just kind of assumed that you were a tourist.
if i lived in midway, i'd ride in park city too.
paul

Old January 8th 04, 05:50 PM
BoftheW

In article , lal_truckee says...

Walt wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

paul m wrote:

um, if you have your heart set on those two resorts, then cool, but if you
want this locals opinion, forget about those two resorts and go to snowbird,
alta or brighton instead. all three are cheaper and a *lot* better.

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton?

Have you been there? The one in Utah, I mean?

Though not my favorite Utah resort, It still has good terrain (although too many
dudes) IMO, it beats just about all of the Tahoe resorts with the exception of
Sugar Bowl & Kirkwood, particullarly in snow.

BoftheW

Old January 8th 04, 07:06 PM
BoftheW

In article , lal_truckee says...

BoftheW wrote:

In article , lal_truckee says...

Walt wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

paul m wrote:

um, if you have your heart set on those two resorts, then cool, but if you
want this locals opinion, forget about those two resorts and go to snowbird,
alta or brighton instead. all three are cheaper and a *lot* better.

Brighton???!!!

So what's wrong with Brighton?

Have you been there? The one in Utah, I mean?

Though not my favorite Utah resort, It still has good terrain (although too many
dudes) IMO, it beats just about all of the Tahoe resorts with the exception of
Sugar Bowl & Kirkwood, particullarly in snow.

OK, you guys have me convinced - geological processes move at Hollywood
speed there in the BCC, and an acutal mountain, with slopes and
everything, has up-thrusted under Brighton since I was last there.
Excellent. Plus Brighton does keep the boarders occupied, another _Good
Thing_ ...

It's possible that the recent earthquake in the Jackson Hole area also caused a
tectonic uplift right under Brighton. I think I heard something about a new
2000+ feet of vertical added recently.

BoftheW