aero 125's...what's the deal.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:09 PM
birkebeiner

Default aero 125's...what's the deal.

Help

What's the deal with Aero 125's.... I bought a pair and had wheel
problems..received new wheels (not the split rim but older versions
that were tested)..I only have 10 km (after two summers)on them
because I don't trust them (plus the first summer I had to wait until
the new wheels arrived) and now I've discovered they aren't road
worthy for someone over 165 lbs...I weigh 185. I've tried to contact
Jenex...keep getting an undeliverable address message...I hate to see
them just sitting there in the basement..but I love my Marwe's...If
anyone has the e-mail address for Jenex please post it.
thanks
Old September 23rd 03, 05:01 PM
Fitzgerald

Call them @ 877 825 3639

Old September 23rd 03, 09:47 PM
Douglas Diehl

I weigh 178lbs. and I've had all sorts of tire problems with the new Aero
SR125. Of course it's my fault according to Jenex. Under-inflating, improper
technique, not talcing the tubes, no o rings, bad tubes, to heavy, ect. The
explanations are endless. I got a flat a week after purchasing the the
roller ski. I was inflating the tires on every run. I used the Aero 150's
for 3 seasons with no flats, so this is a heck of lot different. I'm
constantly switching out flats and worn tires. It's a juggling act. I
sympathize with you.
om...

Old September 24th 03, 02:36 AM
Marsh Jones

Weelllll, that may be from Jenex' standpoint, but from mine the jury is
still out. I'm very disappointed that I had to purchase the split rim
wheels at retail, had to mix & match my collection of tires and tubes to
get some that were fairly round and held air, and very disappointed to
learn, after I've shelled out 300+ bucks on a pair of skis that the
manufacturer *used* to recommend for us hefty 190lb people, only to find
out that I'm too heavy for the wheels, and that if I want to get 150s,
I'll have to shell out another 100 or so for them. In some communities
this would be called lawsuit. In my mind, it's just a lesson learned.

Now all that said, I still like the skis a lot, and plan to keep skiing
the 125 splits. The range of pavement I can ski safely is, I think,
much wider than the hard wheel skis allow. I haven't had a flat since I
put the splits on, and haven't had the tires start to warm up and deform
off the rims like the old ones. I think I'm OK with that. I do wish
Len would post 'care&feeding' instructions for assembling the splits.
Since he didn't, here's mine.

In short, you need a 9/64 allen wrench, a little smaller than a 10mm
socket, a little thing of talc, and a bottle of slime. Talc the tube -
I use a small plastic bag, put the tube in it with some talc, and shake.
Push the air out of the tube, put the deflated tube in the tire, put the
tire in one half of the rim, put the other half on, and make sure you
don't pinch the tube. Make sure the tire sits squarely on the rim - some
of the old ones were a bit ovoid. Make sure the valve stem fits in
cleanly. Assemble the nut, bolt and washers with washers on both sides
of the assy on the bolts except for the two adjacent to the valve stem.
I found it balanced best with only one washer on the nut side of those
bolts. Tighten the bolts in a star-cross pattern like you would a car
wheel. Tighten them firmly, and inflate to 95psi, then let air out to
90psi. Put a bead of slime around the valve stem. This will keep it
from chafing and wandering as much. Make darn sure you have an accurate
pump and keep them inflated to 90psi. Also, don't use the speed
reducers any more than necessary - I think this does heat up the tire
and may be one of the causes of premature failure.

Roll on.

Marsh

Fitzgerald wrote:
I stopped at Jenex this morning to buy some ferrules and when I asked if
they were still having problems with the 125s Robin said," Problems?That was
a long time ago." FYI
Fitzgerald