Custom boots - Any shops in the Bay Area?

Old January 3rd 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Serena[_2_]

Default Custom boots - Any shops in the Bay Area?

I went skiing for the first time in about 6 years last Spring. I went
to Alta and it was wonderful except for the fact that my boots left my
feet numb after the first day. I don't remember my feet hurting like
that the last time I went skiing. I suppose my feet could have changed
over 6 years but it's not as though I'm a growing child. I do have
rheumatoid arthritis even though I'm 30. I've had it for 21 years and
it only limits me from doing the bumps.

If I want to keep skiing comfortably, I think it might be a wise
decision to invest in custom made boots. The boots I have were molded
in a certain area but it feels as though I need something more at this
point. I live in San Francisco. Does anyone know of a good and
reputable ski shop where I can find custom boots?

Thanks. Oh, and I heard on the news that the Sierras are in for a huge
dumping this weekend. The Bay Area is going to get pummelled with high
winds and rain and the Sierras will gets lots of snow. Happy Skiing.

Serena
Old January 3rd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Serena wrote:
[...]

Several points:
1) You don't mean "custom ski boots" - for that you need to deal with
DaleBoot (google it) - you mean "customized" or more accurately "fitted
by a bootfitter."
2) If you're in the East Bay (or even any bay area) you can try
California Ski Works on Gillman in Berkeley for good bootfitting
locally. Avoid chains who hire transient boot salesmen (NOT bootfitters.)
3) If you're in the Bay Area why are you going all the way to Alta to
ski for a first revisit to skiing? We've got some of the best mountains
& snow in the world in the Sierra and it's a lot easier to sort out
bootfitting, etc, if you ski a few days nearer home before a big trip.
4) If you ski North Tahoe you can get your boots from and adjusted by
Cosmo in Tahoe City - one of the best boot-fitters in the world. Does
the local Olympic and World Cup skiers as well as regular humans.
5) Dam right we're getting some snow tomorrow. On the other hand, I've
been skiing fresh more than compact all year even with the slow year -
come on up anytime.
Old January 3rd 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Serena[_2_]

Thanks for the good info. I went to Alta because my dad invited me. I
had the time so decided to join him. I would agree that Tahoe is a lot
closer and sadly, I've been in SF for 5 1/2 yrs and though I've been
to Tahoe I've never skiied there. Now, it looks like I'll be moving
back to NYC in August, so I'm making it a priority to ski there before
I leave.

I thought I would have a better bet finding customized boots in the
city rather than at the mountain since I thought it might be pricier
there and if I need to return for alterations, it'd be more convenient
to find somewhere here in the city. I will start with California Ski
Works. Thanks again.
Old January 3rd 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
(snip)
come on up anytime.