ObSki: another run with flatboarding

Old May 22nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default ObSki: another run with flatboarding

On May 21, 5:43 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 19, 10:08 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
taichiskiing wrote:
On May 18, 8:01 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

Yes, pole-plant is used to "stop"/slowdown the [skis] downward
movement, so it reduces the skis' pressure on the snow--unweighting.

No, that's not what the pole plant does at all...

Up-unweighting is only to enhance that function. Yes, you can down-
unwieghting at this point, but not much, poles are in the way.

Not at all, actually.

Nevertheless, why you even pole-plant if all you want is
down-unweighting?

Timing, balance, extending into the new turn direction

That sounded like UP-unweighting, but let's look at what these actions
would do anyway.

Timing? Maybe. Balance? If you out of balance at this point, your
skiing is really in the bad shape. Extending? No, you cannot "extend"
your body when you pole-plant, if you do it after the "plant" you are
up-unweighting.

Will that be easier simply by moving the CM downhill--down-unweighting
(like in an elevator, when it goes downward, you weigh less), and then
let the skis catch up?

That sounds like my weight-shifting; no more pole-plant?
Still, what if you don't want to change direction but only
to reduce the amount of turning (changing the turn shape)?

Then change the pressure, or add a little pivot, or take a
little pivot off.

Oops, I thought I was talking about carving, where the de-edge to
change the turn shape without slipping and skidding is crucial.

"Weighed release"? That's PMTS, do you practice/ski it? Nevertheless,
"why you even pole-plant if all you want is down-unweighting"?

You'll have to translate that into English before I can answer it.

PMTS, Primary Movement Teaching System, or something like that. If you
don't know than you probably can't do it.

Show us some hard terrain...

...or leave everyone wondering why you never have.

Happy wondering.

IS

Old May 22nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article .com,
taichiskiing wrote:

PMTS, Primary Movement Teaching System, or something like that. If you
don't know than you probably can't do it.

That got to be a joke. "...or something like that. If you don't know
than..."

I looked at your super-pipe footage. That is comically lame. I mean
it's fine and good fun, but bleating about it like you've invented some
sort of new school of skiing that replaces ski poles with frantic hand
waving is just silly.

Dave
Old May 23rd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 18, 8:01 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
Yes, pole-plant is used to "stop"/slowdown the [skis] downward
movement, so it reduces the skis' pressure on the snow--unweighting.

No, that's not what the pole plant does at all...

Up-unweighting is only to enhance that function. Yes, you can down-
unwieghting at this point, but not much, poles are in the way.

Not at all, actually.

Nevertheless, why you even pole-plant if all you want is
down-unweighting?

Timing, balance, extending into the new turn direction

That sounded like UP-unweighting, but let's look at what these actions
would do anyway.

Timing? Maybe.

Definitely.

Balance? If you out of balance at this point, your
skiing is really in the bad shape.

Of course, so? Poles help you stay in balance in the first place.

Extending? No, you cannot "extend"
your body when you pole-plant, if you do it after the "plant" you are
up-unweighting.

Simply incorrect. By reaching down the fall line with your pole and arm,
you contract your legs and reach the point where your skis cross under
you.

Will that be easier simply by moving the CM downhill--down-unweighting
(like in an elevator, when it goes downward, you weigh less), and then
let the skis catch up?

Please don't think you have to explain down-unweighting to me. Unless
you're older than 35, I was doing it before you were born.

That sounds like my weight-shifting; no more pole-plant?
Still, what if you don't want to change direction but only
to reduce the amount of turning (changing the turn shape)?

Then change the pressure, or add a little pivot, or take a
little pivot off.

Oops, I thought I was talking about carving, where the de-edge to
change the turn shape without slipping and skidding is crucial.

Once again, don't try and teach the more experienced than yourself.

To change the shape of a carved turn, you can certainly do that as well.
A ski that is less on edge won't form as tight an arc under the same
pressure.

"Weighed release"? That's PMTS, do you practice/ski it? Nevertheless,
"why you even pole-plant if all you want is down-unweighting"?

You'll have to translate that into English before I can answer it.

PMTS, Primary Movement Teaching System, or something like that. If you
don't know than you probably can't do it.

No. You misunderstand (again).

To have put what you did in quotes implies that either I said it, or you
did. You

--
"I always read what is posted, as I don't share your habits." -- "Upon
rereading your original post, I see that I have been mistaken in what I wrote.
Old May 23rd 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Well, two posts posted this morning and this one didn't show, so
what's the deal, Walt?

On May 21, 12:38 pm, Evojeesus wrote:
On May 21, 8:00 pm, taichiskiing
wrote:

On May 21, 4:45 am, Evojeesus wrote:
On May 20, 9:57 pm, taichiskiing

If you believe that, you're dumber than yourself realized.

I've seen 4-year olds ski 14mph I think, and that's just about
what your other clips seem to average.

This kind of argument doesn't take you anywhere, only exposes you at a
lower intelligent level. Even 4-year olds learn from their mistakes.

"If you believe that, you're dumber than yourself realized."

Actually, most of time I was in terrain parks, do you do superpipe?

No, I'm too busy being one with the mountain to bother with
artificial slopes.

Really? unfortunately, the terrain parks are a part of mountain
nowadays, don't think you can be "one with the mountain" without it.

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/sk...superpipeh.wmv,
last two years I was into "straightlining" and line-skiing.

So why don't you post any cool lines instead of that
lame stuff we've seen so far?

It sounds like your lame denial. My "cool line" is going
straightlining with or without tight turns at 45mph, what's your "cool
line"?

Broaden your knowledge and open your mind may help.

Don't you understand standard English? It's your ability
to communicate that is lacking, nothing else.

When communication fails, first thing to do is checking your receiving
devise, do you have your ears on? Then your software, does it have
enough intelligent to decipher the incoming message? Then it's the
environment that you're operated in, is your ego generated too much
static that prevents you from receiving a clear signal? Yes, there are
a lot of things going on beyond your "nothing else," how do you
receive?

"Broaden your knowledge and open your mind may help."

"experts," eh? what makes you think that you are an expert skier?

I'm expert enough, sure there are tons of better skiers
but I think I'm solidly in the top 5%.

It's really shame that you don't have some "cool" clips to show us.

Can we have some video clips to see how you do? Please.

No. Besides, what difference would it make?

Figured, just another gaper. Yes, it makes tons of difference; it is
your creditability and your character integrity, so are your knowledge
and your critiques, on the line.

"No, I don't think that you have what it takes to
comprehend what you see." That's why.

I do. I have enough skiing experience to have a pretty
good grasp of how your type of skiing *feels*.

No, you only think you know, [but how do you know the "feeling"?]
What's the "feeling" of the flatboarding again?

That's why us humans have those
mirror-neurons you know. Some of the stuff you show is decent for
intermediate skiers and I don't have much against that, but please
show the more advanced stuff before acting like the resident guru.

As I said before, there's no more "advanced stuff" in skiing. Anything
you do extra generates more aerodynamic drags and frictions, which
undermine you're your performance. The real "advanced stuff" in skiing
is to eliminate or to reduce those drags and frictions, how do you do
it?

You may partition them, I don't.

I think I said that in off-piste I just ski. Anyway, please
convince me that your techniques work well in difficult snow
situations, steeps, couloirs, powder etc.

Probably not before you have some more [high level] skiing experience
first.

So your eyes failed you again. This guy is famous among the
Heavenly locals, he routinely skis at 40mph, and the trail
is Olympic Downhill at Heavenly, where the first WC (or the
forerunner of the WC) downhill was held. I estimated his
speed on this particular run was 35 mph.

How did you make your estimate? You can try to estimate the
distance he's doing in 1 second when passing the camera.

He has a little hand-held mountaineering gadget that measures the wind
speed, which he held on his hand when he skied (not on this run), it
can tell the average speed, or the maximum speed. Last time I skied
formation with him, he clocked the maximum speed at 45 mph.

Another interesting question is how you came up with 14 mph, and 20
mph figures?

Note the speed and carving backward toward the end of the
clip. (I lost him in the telephoto zoom, so I hurrying with
wide angle to catch up with him.)

The skiing in that clip is by far the fastest in your
collection. Anyway, it does not seem very fast, have you got
anything twice faster?

No, I haven't got a camera fast enough to catch my straightlining run
from the side, here's a 50 mph run (estimated),
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/sk...ghtliningh.wmv

If you don't understand than you probably don't know;
if you don't know than you probably not doing it.

You are remarkably arrogant for a person who has been training
martial arts for the long term. Just for the sake of
repetition: we don't understand your terminology and
unclear speech is often a sign of unclear thinking.

What you don't understand doesn't invalid a proven theory. The
arrogance is yours.

"Line-skiing" is to ski a line; that is, ski like driving a car on a
mountain road--the road turns, but the car turns little.

WTF? You seriously lost me there now. Well, I guess you never need to
really turn as you don't a) carve on the edges, b) go fast, c) ski the
steeps etc. If handwaving would make me want to straightline flat
themeparks for 120+ days a season I might just give it a try...or not!

I think is you who seriously lost yourself. Do you make "corner-turn"
within the line that you travel on? Maybe the RR-track skiing is out
of your league.

"Turn-skiing" is to ski a turn, then a turn, and then a turn, where
the turning is not necessarily for going places but
controlling the speed, even though the turns are linked.

I understand that you don't need to control your speed
in places where you're skiing.

Actually, that'll be a might fine technique if you can ski all-
mountain without controlling/braking the speed.

How do you ski in the trees (tree skiing), where you
cannot see the whole line?

I have to admit that I don't have much experience at all
in tree skiing.

Without "much experience at all in tree skiing," but you think that
you're an expert all-mountain skier, but I'm not? Your hypocritical
double standard shows.

Practically all off-piste skiing I do is above the tree-line.

What's big deal about off-piste skiing above timber-line? Without
trees as obstacles, skiing on an open slope is probably the easiest
upper level skiing of them all, it's not?

On the other hand my turns are linked into lines, if that's what you mean.

That's turn-skiing.

So your turns are not linked or you don't need to turn?

Line-skiing turns without turning,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/sk...ghtliningh.wmv

I may have invented the whole skiing terminology of my
skiing all by my self; however,

Fix your terminology then.

Try some dictionary may help.

My terminology is not perfect, but adequate; it has no jargons, and I
use standard English grammar structures that can be found in a grammar
book and with the words that can be found in an ordinary English
dictionary.

But you think that only "one" particular way to present an English
meaning?

most of my skiing terminology is based on the
scientific practice, i.e. it begins with definitions, along
with sound physics theory--Newton's Law of Motion. There's
no myth in science, however, the 'net bashers seem to have
difficulty to catch on.

Well, I'm a trained scientist with a degree or two in physics.
You're simply unintelligible.

What a wasted "a degree or two in physics," you remind me the
scientist who said that bumblebees shouldn't fly. Look beyond your
"ivory tower," you may find there's a bigger "all-mountain" out there.

IS

Old May 23rd 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

taichiskiing wrote:
Well, two posts posted this morning and this one didn't show, so
what's the deal, Walt?

What do you mean "this one didn't show"? I see it.

And how did you know that it didn't show before you posted it?

//Walt
Old May 23rd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 22, 10:03 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 18, 8:01 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
Timing, balance, extending into the new turn direction

That sounded like UP-unweighting, but let's look at what
these actions would do anyway.

Timing? Maybe.

Definitely.

Line-skiing, flows with gravity, turns on demand; without pole-plant,
there's no such timing issue.

Balance? If you out of balance at this point, your
skiing is really in the bad shape.

Of course, so? Poles help you stay in balance in the first place.

I meant if you still need the pole-plant to maintain your balance at
this stage of the turn, "your skiing is really in the bad shape." RR-
track skiing stays in the tracks and dynamic balanced on the two feet/
skis.

Extending? No, you cannot "extend"
your body when you pole-plant, if you do it after the
"plant" you are up-unweighting.

Simply incorrect. By reaching down the fall line with your
pole and arm, you contract your legs and reach the point where
your skis cross under you.

"contract your legs" is a "contraction" not "extending."

Will that be easier simply by moving the CM downhill--down-unweighting
(like in an elevator, when it goes downward, you weigh less), and then
let the skis catch up?

Please don't think you have to explain down-unweighting to me. Unless
you're older than 35, I was doing it before you were born.

Nevertheless, are you still doing it?

That sounds like my weight-shifting; no more pole-plant?
Still, what if you don't want to change direction but
only to reduce the amount of turning (changing the turn shape)?

Then change the pressure, or add a little pivot, or take a
little pivot off.

Oops, I thought I was talking about carving, where the de-edge to
change the turn shape without slipping and skidding is crucial.

Once again, don't try and teach the more experienced than yourself.

Yeah right, but you don't heed your own advise?

To change the shape of a carved turn, you can certainly do that as well.

So my way works?

A ski that is less on edge won't form as tight an arc under
the same pressure.

Yes, but it (a ski that is less on edge) skis a straighter line. So,
what's wrong with it?

IS

Old May 23rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Apparently, taichiskiing has blocked my posts, as he no longer
responds to them. I wonder what I said that offended him so. I was
really trying to understand what he has to teach, if anything.

It is interesting to see how often he can state the "superiority" of
his "technique", when he cannot effectively communicate what it is to
anyone, and when even someone who has skied with him cannot see a
difference. I have come to the conclusion that he is really just
another blowhard know-it-all with nothing to offer. If anyone ever
figures out what he is talking about, I hope I'll see it, but I don't
expect it.

Bob

Old May 31st 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

On May 6, 12:32 pm, taichiskiing
wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTcN2cGWUw

have fun,
IS

I think everyone is having fun telling you what a pile of **** this
is. Tell ya what-package the crap, incorporate, and see if any
frickin' idiot buys into it (like investors).
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 31st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTcN2cGWUw

have fun,
IS

PS-dummy, if I wanted to look at **** like this, I could go to
Mountain Creek in Northern Jersey on a Saturday and see 80,000 people
doing exactly the same thing in the beginner's area.