What to do in a whiteout?

Old June 18th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Default What to do in a whiteout?

A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest trail
I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I couldn't
see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?

Old June 18th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Jun 18, 7:42*am, "Kevin" wrote:
A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. *Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). *I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest trail
I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. *I couldn't
see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?

I've been it that situation at Alta. It was before I knew the mountain
like the back of my hand (or like trunky knows the front of his! :-
o ). It wasn't windy as I remember but was just snowing so hard that
there was no difference between dimensions. I had one at Vail too. But
it was wind driven and progress could be made between gusts. It helped
that I had a million vertical there by that time in the season too.

We were on a traverse and just felt our way along. But there were
times when I thought I was turning downhill when I went up!

I don't know that "falling down" would have been to bright. You could
have been there for a LONG time.

I think that the only thing you can do in a situation like that is to
be aware of you surroundings by taking a look around if you are in
unfamiliar territory, wait out the gusts, and make your way down as
best as possible.
Old June 18th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

I don't know that "falling down" would have been to bright. You could
have been there for a LONG time.

I think that the only thing you can do in a situation like that is to
be aware of you surroundings by taking a look around if you are in
unfamiliar territory, wait out the gusts, and make your way down as
best as possible.
---------------
Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.

Old June 18th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Jun 18, 8:47*am, "Kevin" wrote:
I don't know that "falling down" would have been to bright. You could
have been there for a LONG time.

I think that the only thing you can do in a situation like that is to
be aware of you surroundings by taking a look around if you are in
unfamiliar territory, wait out the gusts, and make your way down as
best as possible.
---------------
Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. *It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. *But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.

Kevin,

This is why focusing keenly on your surroundings is critically
important. Given a sudden loss in visibility, you should still be
able to know which direction to go. If you don't, in some mountains
out west, you can get into rather serious trouble.

If you're saying you were already in motion when the visibility
plummeted, you need to slow or stop as fast as possible. If you were,
at that point, still uncomfortable you can always side-slip your way
down most stuff. I dunno, that's at least what I woulda done.
Old June 18th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Kevin wrote:

Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

Stop and wait.

-- Mike Treseler

Skier's Code:

1. Always stay in control and be able to stop or avoid other people
or objects.
Old June 18th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Jun 18, 8:24*pm, Mike Treseler wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

Stop and wait.

Sideslipping can work too if one knows the way.

Old June 18th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Kevin wrote:
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got
white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

Stop and wait.

Sideslipping can work too if one knows the way.
---------------------
I would have stopped and waited, except I was pointed straight down the hill
moving very fast in the middle of a turn. Coming to a dead stop without
completing the turn is outside of my skillset. If anyone can do it, I
haven't seen it.

Old June 18th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:42:38 -0400, "Kevin"
wrote this crap:

A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest trail
I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I couldn't
see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

You did good, if you had stopped you would have risked getting hit
from behind.

Many times my crew an I were out on patrol on our boat, and a fog
drifted in. It's hard to navigate when you can't see. We send a hand
up to the bow to look for light, obstructions, or whatever. We use
sounds, such as horns or whistles to make sure others hear us and we
listen for others to whistle.

And remember to vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old June 18th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:33:27 -0400, "Kevin"
wrote this crap:

---------------------
I would have stopped and waited, except I was pointed straight down the hill
moving very fast in the middle of a turn. Coming to a dead stop without
completing the turn is outside of my skillset. If anyone can do it, I
haven't seen it.

It's not hard. As you do the turn, just keep turning until you are
pointed slightly uphill. You will slow and stop. With a little
practice it becomes quite easy. Just don't turn too far or you will
find yourself going backwards down the slope.

Do your best and tell others to their best, that's leadership and I'm
always teaching leadership.

And remember to vote for Palin-Ahhhnold in 2012, dude.

Old June 19th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Jun 18, 9:47*am, "Kevin" wrote:

Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. *It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. *But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.

OH! Sorry Kevin. I misunderstood the situation. I was thinking of the
kind that last for extended periods of time. Those can be really odd.

There are all kinds of visibilty problems like the one you describe.
Flat light, foggy eyewear.......I suppose that putting your butt down
is an option but you learn to ski through them as well. Do what feels
best to you.