ski poles 46"

Old March 23rd 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

Default ski poles 46"

Sorry to intrude with something about skiing here but I have to buy new
poles. Had a cheap pair of the 'goode' brand but if you ask me they're not
so 'goode'. The rubber basket's actually screw on or push on, mine fell off
a few times and I'm not going to buy them again. The leke's I looked at were
lighter and made of graphite. What's better composite or graphite ? Should I
worry about the graphite poles breaking or does the fact that they're a tiny
bit lighter make them better ? The thing I didn't like about the lekes was
the strap loop is real tight, bothered me when putting my hands in & out of
the straps, you would think they would make the strap loops long enough to
allow a little more room. The rossignols had cheap looking leather grips
that would have shredded in 1 season with the abuse I would have given them.
Ad to that I only want to spend about $50 and buying a pair of poles is
becoming a burden. I know they're only poles but I guess I'm putting too
much thought into this.

Old March 23rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

$.50 aluminum from the bin at a swap meet. Poles are everywhere, often
free - just look around.

50 cent aluminum, $50 composite (epoxy with some kind of fiber for
strength), $100 graphite (epoxy with graphite fiber for strength) -
you'll never know the difference. Until you snap a pair of the fiber
poles up on the steep by getting them stuck in some buried rocks and
have to ski down with one pole; versus bending an aluminum pole in the
same circumstance and bending them back so you can ski down with two poles.
Old March 23rd 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

If I may ask,
Why are you buying poles in a retail store?

Go to a used sporting good shop if you need them immediately, if you
don't, go to a ski swap.

Also, check with lost and found at your local ski area and see if anyone
has found your lost poles.

My poles started out as some ultra-light European poles that I thought
would break the third time I used them. I traded with a friend who had a
pair of the original Goode poles. These were intended as rentals and had
a lifetime warranty and were adjustable for length. I had them extended
out to 48" (I'm 6' tall). A female ski buddy had an identical pair
except they were 48" when the handle was all the way down and she really
needed 44" and so we traded. This last trade was in 1998 and I still
have the same poles. I also have my theft-resistant pair. One orange
shaft, one green shaft with similarly mis-matched handles. Aluminum.

Ron, I've read your TR's and you seem like someone who skis, not
postures. Don't spend (much) money on poles. Think of all the beer you
can buy with that $50. Use crap poles. Replace them every year or get
indestructible ones and use them forever.

Basically poles is poles. You can used to any weight regardless of how
they feel in the store with the retail droid selling you on low swing
weight. Mine are so heavy I can break a snowboarder's knees with one blow.
Old March 23rd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes, but this needs to be the cheap aluminum
variety. The expensive aluminum that are super
light will snap even quicker than the composite.
Old March 23rd 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Ron - NY wrote:

Sorry to intrude with something about skiing here but I have to buy new
poles.

My $.02

If you just use the cheap poles they're less likely to get stolen, and
you won't feel so bad if they do.

I would never ski the east (i.e. anywhere within a four hour drive of
NYC) with expensive poles. I always lock up my skis, but I haven't
figured out how to lock up my poles yet.

//Walt
Old March 23rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:57:55 -0400, "Ron - NY"
wrote this crap:

Sorry to intrude with something about skiing here but I have to buy new
poles. Had a cheap pair of the 'goode' brand but if you ask me they're not
becoming a burden. I know they're only poles

My advice is to go the cafeteria, plunder the cashbox, and use the
loot to buy the best poles you can get.

Go to the ski store, and always remember that when dealing with
merchants, have a sack of gold in one hand, and a mighty sword in the
other. If the merchant deals fairly he shall acquire the gold. If
not, plunge your sword into him.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 23rd 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:11:05 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Basically poles is poles. You can used to any weight regardless of how
they feel in the store with the retail droid selling you on low swing
weight. Mine are so heavy I can break a snowboarder's knees with one blow.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Whatever you have in your hands
can be used a weapon. Train your men that way. That's what
leadership is all about.

How are you with hitting accordion players?

Old March 23rd 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Ron - NY wrote:

The leke's I looked at were
lighter and made of graphite. What's better composite or graphite ?

I don't think I could raise
my butt out of the snow with either of those.

The thing I didn't like about the lekes was
the strap loop is real tight, bothered me when putting my hands in & out of
the straps, you would think they would make the strap loops long enough to
allow a little more room.

I don't use the straps.
It takes too much time.

The rossignols had cheap looking leather grips

I prefer the cheap plastic grips.

-- Mike Treseler
Old March 23rd 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

It has more to do with comfort than anything and If I don't like a product I
go out of my way NOT to buy it again. I take my straps on & off a LOT ,
because I ski long days with lots of runs. I HATE fumbling around at the top
of the mountain trying to get my gloves through the straps. The 2nd problem
was, I have a hard enough time skiing moguls as it is, but when you plant
your pole into a mogul and the pole goes into a soft spot and dissapears
into the mound about 3 feet, picture the scenario, you have to yank the
sucker out which breaks your momentum, spins you around and crash bang. Then
you have to chase your skis, put them back on, take your gloves off and try
to put the little basket piece back on. Except one day the little sucker
gets lost in a mogul and you can't find. Plus you have to listen to your
girlfriend saying , cmon , cmom old man, your wasting time , let's go let's
go. Then you have to ski the last few runs of the day with 1 1/2 poles
wondering if the pole is going to plant right. Sorry you asked ? :-)

Old March 23rd 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Ron - NY wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Ron - NY wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need wider baskets - couple of decades ago baskets were
wider; another advantage of old cheap poles. These days you seldom see
wide baskets in shops except on backcountry poles.

Re your lost basket, when I have a basket that's prone to departure I
tear some duct tape to about 1/2 in width and wrap that around the pole
under the basket; never lost a basket that's so treated, and they can
still be removed if need be.