Was I expecting too much, or was I unlucky?

Old March 2nd 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

Default Was I expecting too much, or was I unlucky?

I have skied about 8 years, but never out of NYS. Skied at Squaw Valley on
Thursday and Alpine Meadows on Friday.

Thursday there was 60mph wind and everything west of the KT22 chair was
closed. That was a little cutting, but the problem was the snow. At
opening there was about 4" of sludge. I fell repeatedly because my skis
just sorta got stuck in it when I tried to turn. Within a hour it was skied
down and at least skiable, if not particularly pleasant. A guy on the ski
lift told me to be thankful, because Wednesday was even worse.

Friday was much much better. It was firm, but not icy. It was pretty
comparable to a good day in NY. While I guess that was okay, I was expecting
something special, and it just wasn't.

The friend I went to CA to visit said that Thursday was the worst snow he
had seen in his 2 years in CA, but Friday was pretty average.

If that was average then it isn't all that much better than NY, then I am
not sure what the big deal is; I mean, Whiteface has much more vertical than
Squaw or Alpine, and I have had better snow there. Okay, all the Tahoe
trails are steeper then what the same grade in NY, but other than that...

So, was I expecting too much, or did I just get lousy days?

Old March 2nd 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Tom wrote:

So, was I expecting too much, or did I just get lousy days?

Maybe both.
It's all just skiing.

Snow in the Cascades and Sierras varies from powder to cement,
depending on when and exactly where I am skiing.

I can improve my odds by waiting on conditions,
or often by picking a less popular run.
Sometimes getting on an airplane to Utah helps.

-- Mike Treseler
Old March 3rd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Tom wrote:
I have skied about 8 years, but never out of NYS. Skied at Squaw Valley on
Thursday and Alpine Meadows on Friday.

Thursday there was 60mph wind and everything west of the KT22 chair was
closed. That was a little cutting, but the problem was the snow. At
opening there was about 4" of sludge. I fell repeatedly because my skis
just sorta got stuck in it when I tried to turn. Within a hour it was skied
down and at least skiable, if not particularly pleasant. A guy on the ski
lift told me to be thankful, because Wednesday was even worse.

Sounds like technique issues? Sierra Cement permits no sideslipping
literally. You must carve the ski along it's length without attempting
any lateral movement; otherwise you fall - only two choices. That said,
sometimes the old standby Austrian heel-thrust technique from 40 years
ago can get you through some major nastiness. Modern wider, shorter skis
should handle cement pretty well - if I ever get old I'm going to get
some of those wide stubby things. Meantime the slivers were working OK.

Friday was much much better. It was firm, but not icy. It was pretty
comparable to a good day in NY. While I guess that was okay, I was expecting
something special, and it just wasn't.

We keep all the special offpiste up along the ridges and cirques.

The friend I went to CA to visit said that Thursday was the worst snow he
had seen in his 2 years in CA, but Friday was pretty average.

If that was average then it isn't all that much better than NY, then I am
not sure what the big deal is; I mean, Whiteface has much more vertical than
Squaw or Alpine, and I have had better snow there. Okay, all the Tahoe
trails are steeper then what the same grade in NY, but other than that...

So, was I expecting too much, or did I just get lousy days?

I don't know what you were expecting, but Youtaw powder we don't get. We
do got lots of snow, steeps, challenges, long seasons, warm sunny days,
exploring; we also get Sierra cement - famous for it, in fact.

FWIW, Thursday was a little cementy, Friday was nice, and
Saturday/Sunday were fun, except for the public cluttering up the slope.
Today was cement again. (FWIW, Monday and Tuesday last were even heavier.)

Most Sierra storms follow the same pattern - high winds over the ridges
closing some lifts, warm temps making for heavy cement, gradually
cooling to some pretty decent pow. By this coming Thursday the slope
temps will be much colder, the fresh snowfall lighter, and the skiing
will change again. I'm looking forward to it.

Life is what happens while you wait for perfect days. A skier's GOT to
ski what nature provides. (Manmade doesn't count, BTW.) You just go out
and ski whatever snow's on the terrain, daily.

Hope you can give it another try someday.
Old March 3rd 09, 09:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:49:33 -0500, "Tom" wrote this
crap:

If that was average then it isn't all that much better than NY, then I am
not sure what the big deal is; I mean, Whiteface has much more vertical than
Squaw or Alpine, and I have had better snow there. Okay, all the Tahoe
trails are steeper then what the same grade in NY, but other than that...

So, was I expecting too much, or did I just get lousy days?

Well, you are obviously one of the worst skiers I've ever heard about.
Real skiers could ski anything with just cafeteria trays duct taped to
their feet.

Try to be better. Strive for excellence. And teach others to be
their best. We are talking about leadership.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 3rd 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

"A mighty Hungarian warrior" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:49:33 -0500, "Tom" wrote this
crap:

If that was average then it isn't all that much better than NY, then I am
not sure what the big deal is; I mean, Whiteface has much more vertical
than
Squaw or Alpine, and I have had better snow there. Okay, all the Tahoe
trails are steeper then what the same grade in NY, but other than that...

So, was I expecting too much, or did I just get lousy days?

Well, you are obviously one of the worst skiers I've ever heard about.
Real skiers could ski anything with just cafeteria trays duct taped to
their feet.

Not particularly good perhaps, but hardly one of the worst. I did a bunch of
blacks at Squaw and Alpine just fine; my problems were on a green at Squaw
first thing Thursday. (admittedly, I was very unhappy to mistakenly do a
double black at Alpine... That was over my skill set.)

It beats the heck out of me how you carve that crap. I guess I am used to
slipping on ice; no matter how good you are, you are going to slip a bit on
an icy black.
Any tips? (not that I will be back any time soon; just curious.

Old March 3rd 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Tom wrote:

Any tips? (not that I will be back any time soon; just curious.

Several. Mostly contradictory.

Feet locked together, weight well forward - make a wide stable platform
that will ride up and out of the cement at the end of a turn so you can
extend legs back into the cement already properly positioned for the
next turn. Works good, looks good, and done properly doesn't tire you
too much, but requires exceptional balance.

Heel thrust, weight centered, load outside ski - at the beginning of
each turn drop the outside ski well back pushing through the heel. That
will load up the shovel which will then come around putting you in
position for the next turn. Repeat. Also works in desperate situations
in slush and spring crud. Done properly it gets you through most any
tough situation, but looks sloppy and is tiring.

Wide skis - this is what those wide skis everybody is snatching up are
made for. Problem is those skis aren't much good for anything else and
most people seldom ski conditions where they provide an advantage;
instead the owners are unknowingly disadvantaging themselves for all
other conditions in their pursuit of the latest gadget-ski.
Old March 3rd 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Tom wrote:
[...]

Take a lesson or 10.
Old March 3rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
[...]

Thats just great advice. Taking a lesson on ice to learn how to ski on
concrete. Why didn't I think of that?

Old March 3rd 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Tom wrote:
"BrritSki" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
[...]

Ummm. Maybe you could take a lesson when you get to problem conditions? And then
practice it a lot.

Try dropping western skiers on eastern ice and see how they do. When I moved to
Washington, I'd hear people warning about ice, but I couldn't find it. Of course
I'm spoiled now.

Old March 3rd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:14:59 -0500, "Tom" wrote this
crap:

Well, you are obviously one of the worst skiers I've ever heard about.
Real skiers could ski anything with just cafeteria trays duct taped to
their feet.

It beats the heck out of me how you carve that crap. I guess I am used to
slipping on ice; no matter how good you are, you are going to slip a bit on
an icy black.
Any tips? (not that I will be back any time soon; just curious.

Good question. To carve on ice, you have to be aggressive. Most
people are timid when the going gets tough. Keep your feet shoulder
width apart, and your hands out, not in front. Dig your edges into
the ice. Your skis will do what you require.

I grew up in the Detroit area, and I learned to ice skate at a young
age. I find skiing on ice to be thrilling. Much better than slush or
powder.

Ice skates are hollow ground, and have edges just the same as skis.
Perhaps you should practice ice skating.