Rollerski poles

Old October 18th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Rollerski poles

Anyone heard of or tried these? I was picking up an order for my team
at Nordicskater earlier this year and was told we could get some new
type of rollerski poles for demo's, but i never heard back from the
store. now it looks like they're on the site (the excels with shock-
absorbing capabilities). would the spring-loaded poles also create
tougher training by absorbing your force, or would this hurt your
technique? I guess it depends on how much force they absorb (more or
less than on snow poles), anyone had experience?

Old October 18th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

almost forgot, www.nordicskater.com/poles

Old October 21st 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Any pole that reduces impact force in this way will also be wasting
energy. Yes, you might be less injury prone, but at the same time you
will go slower. There is no need to buy stiff poles with a spring tip
to reduce inury. Just buy some cheap fiberglass poles that are super
flexy and you'll get the same thing. The physical way to reduce
injury would be to increase the time of the impact force of the pole
hitting the ground. The spring in the tip would do that, yes. But so
would the pole flexing (in the shaft).

I admit that I have never used these tips, however I have tried
trekking poles with a spring in them and the same thing happens.
Maybe less injury, definitely energy lost.

mg
www.bendbikensport.com

Old October 21st 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I don't know. I guess you can spin it both ways. Usually performance
means more stiffness - performance bike shoes, bike frames, car
suspensions, etc - and less comfort. I remember hating my flexy cheap
ski poles, and I never looked back when I got rid of them.

Old October 21st 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'm the same, using about the stiffest poles around, and the difference
is big when I compare. For me, over the years injury prevention has
been tied to technique (not banging the poles) and finding the straps
that work best for my hands and pole grips, given the amount of force
applied.