Honest snow reports for Keystone and Breck

Old December 1st 03, 06:22 PM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in message ...
H. R. Bob Hofmann wrote:
I'm hoping to get to Breck and Keystone the end of next week for about
9 days of skiing, first use of this seasons 3-mountain pass. The
Keystone and Breck web sites are pitiful in their non-descriptions of
amount of terrain and lifts that are open. I sent them (Vail Resorts)
a nasty gram complaining about this, but that won't help me get
accurate info in the meantime. Does anyone have a Chester
Bullock-like report on Breck and/or Keystone conditions. Vail Resorts
should take lessons from the A-basin web site.

As of last Thursday and Friday, Breck had the Peak 9 lifts open, only. I
heard that Peak 8 was to open something like the 13th. Where they have made
snow, the coverage is 100% but gets scraped to icy spots in just a couple
of hours. Pretty dang crowded, too. Hit it early and fast.

Mike...

Thanks to everyone who posted. I was afraid that things weren't too
great, based on the Breck and Keystone webcamera sites. They showed a
mob at 10-mile Station at Breck, and no one visible anywhere on Peak
8. Also no one comning down off peak 10 which you can just barely see
in the background of the 10-mile Station camera. At Keystone, there
was no one on Mozart, so I assumed that only the front mountain, or
parts of it, was open.

I blasted both web sites again today when I called their 800 number.
If you want to give them some grief, the phone number for all of Vail
resorts is 1-800-842-8062. I think you have to wait for prompt 6 to
speak to a human. Tell them their web sites for Breck and Keystone
need to give open trail and lift information, and for Keystone, to put
up a simple trail map like the one that is on the Breck web site.
Maybe if they get enough complaints they will do something before
closing next Spring.

Thanks again to everyone, I think I will wait until Jan 3 or so to
come out based on what was posted, unless they get a couple of major
dumps in the next few days.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Old December 15th 03, 05:05 PM
danko

(snoig) wrote in message . com...
(H. R. Bob Hofmann) wrote in message om...
I'm hoping to get to Breck and Keystone the end of next week for about
9 days of skiing, first use of this seasons 3-mountain pass. The
Keystone and Breck web sites are pitiful in their non-descriptions of
amount of terrain and lifts that are open. I sent them (Vail Resorts)
a nasty gram complaining about this, but that won't help me get
accurate info in the meantime. Does anyone have a Chester
Bullock-like report on Breck and/or Keystone conditions. Vail Resorts
should take lessons from the A-basin web site.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Well, conditions are fairly mediocre. We're supposed to get some snow
in the next day or two so check back after that. I think Breck and
Keystone are delibrately keeping terrian closed to get Front Rangers
to go to Vail where there is more terrian open with more snow.

snoig

Just got back from Breck yesterday. I'll second the mediocre
conditions. Peaks 8 and 9 were somewhat open. 7 and 10 had no
lifts/runs open. When we left there were ~10 lifts open. On 8 & 9
most of the green, and a good portion of the blue runs were open.
Only one blue-black run was open that we found and I could not find a
single open black. Snow condition was good, but thin. Foliage was
showing through in many spots. About half the open trails were being
groomed daily. A number of the blue runs (briar rose for example) had
some bumps where I didn't remember bumps from previous trips. This
might be becuase of the lack of regular bump/advanced runs. My wife
and I spent three days skiing and hit every open run multiple times.
Temps were around 20 degree highs each day. Not bad but it was pretty
windy at the tops. Crowds were not bad dispite the limited amount of
open terrain. Lift lines at peak 8 were much worse than 9. I was
pretty bummed about the lack of advanced terrain open, and was iching
to try the new blue runs at the base of peak 7. They were not open
however.

-danko

Old December 15th 03, 05:39 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 17:05 GMT, danko penned:

[...]

Huh. I skied down Callie's Corner?, which is a short black, yesterday.
It had a warning sign about exposed terrain but was open, with better
snow than just about any other run. There was one tiny brown spot, but
the rest was fluffy, and since it had a warning sign, it was empty.
Yum!

We took a lift over what looked like a nice little jump park, too. I
didn't check it out, but that seems like it might have provided a little
zest.

Briar Rose sucked yesterday. The moguls didn't upset me, but I hit a
rock just about every other turn.

My s.o. saw a sign at Breck that greens and blues are groomed daily,
which he took to mean that blue-blacks are "blue steepness but not
necessarily groomed." Certainly the blue-blacks did not seem very
challenging from a steepness perspective. Anyone have thoughts on that?
--
monique

Old December 15th 03, 05:48 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

My s.o. saw a sign at Breck that greens and blues are groomed daily,
which he took to mean that blue-blacks are "blue steepness but not
necessarily groomed." Certainly the blue-blacks did not seem very
challenging from a steepness perspective. Anyone have thoughts on that?

If you want a steepness challenge at Breck, you have to go to the double
diamonds.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 15th 03, 07:02 PM
lal_truckee

Chester Bullock wrote:
Speaking of which, good
article in yesterday's Denver Post about why Colorado ski visits are
down, and how it could be worse without season pass wars.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...?search=filter

What it doesn't say is that Colorado deliberately screwed themselves by
approving all the hocus-pocus phony stuff around their destination
resorts; once you re-define skiing as a theme park where skiing is only
incidental, which they did, there's really no difference where you go.
All the "Destinations" offer the same crappy "good dining" and sleigh
rides and entertainment, so go where you want. If they would have
focused on skiing, they might have remained the place to go for all
those winter vacationers.

Old December 15th 03, 07:52 PM
Chester Bullock

lal_truckee wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

Speaking of which, good article in yesterday's Denver Post about why
Colorado ski visits are down, and how it could be worse without season
pass wars.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...?search=filter

What it doesn't say is that Colorado deliberately screwed themselves by
approving all the hocus-pocus phony stuff around their destination
resorts; once you re-define skiing as a theme park where skiing is only
incidental, which they did, there's really no difference where you go.
All the "Destinations" offer the same crappy "good dining" and sleigh
rides and entertainment, so go where you want. If they would have
focused on skiing, they might have remained the place to go for all
those winter vacationers.

I think that all the other stuff they added brought more people. Which
in turn became part of the problem. More people != quality. Silverton
is proving you can focus on the ski experience and make a go of it. But
it will take several years for other places to figure this one out.
Especially the publicly traded places, which are relying on real estate
sales to boost numbers.

Old December 15th 03, 07:52 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 19:02 GMT, lal_truckee penned:
Chester Bullock wrote:
Speaking of which, good article in yesterday's Denver Post about why
Colorado ski visits are down, and how it could be worse without
season pass wars.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...?search=filter

What it doesn't say is that Colorado deliberately screwed themselves
by approving all the hocus-pocus phony stuff around their destination
resorts; once you re-define skiing as a theme park where skiing is
only incidental, which they did, there's really no difference where
you go. All the "Destinations" offer the same crappy "good dining"
and sleigh rides and entertainment, so go where you want. If they
would have focused on skiing, they might have remained the place to go
for all those winter vacationers.

Speaking of "good dining," I'm jonesing for the mac n cheese at A-Basin.

I never understood all this resort hoopla. I'm there for the snow. If
I've done it right, I'm too tired to go to a bar, dress up for a fancy
meal, etc. Just crash early so that I'm ready for the next day ...

Pretty much why I have finally dropped my Ski Magazine subscription.
There's too much fluff and not enough stuff. I used to enjoy the
pictures when I lived nowhere near any decent skiing, but now it's just
kind of silly.

--
monique