Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe).

Old January 22nd 04, 08:58 PM
MP

Default Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe).

Just a few questions from a beginner-intermediate snowboarder.

1. Last Saturday I went snowboarding and I think I injured my wrist.
However, during the day I snowboarded I did not feel that I majorly hurt any
part of my body any more than regular (like falling down etc). Since then,
my right wrist (I am right handed) has been hurting more and more, yesterday
being the most hurt and least movable. I'm sure it's not broken as it hurts
only in certain directions that I move it, however, it hurts from inertia
(moving my whole arm from side to side) and this worries me. Any ideas? I am
going to go see a doctor in a few days if the mobility doesn't come back and
it still hurts; I'm assuming it's a bad sprain, I'm just confused about the
delayed reaction.

2. I would like to get some new pants, as the ones I have get soaked in the
ass and by the end of the day I'm cold and not enjoying myself. I have been
looking and Columbia sports wear simply because they have lifetime warranty
and have seen Convert pants (Geodesic and Edge Rider) that are made to be
waterproof with Omni-Tech material and so on. Can anyone that has these give
me some input as to how waterproof they are? Also, I am open to other
suggestions from users with personal experience (please don't tell me "I
heard this and that").

3. Also, this past Saturday, the tow rope in the skate park ripped both my
Kombi gloves that I really liked and were very warm and comfortable. I'm
looking to get a new pair, but I also want wrist protection. From what I've
read, most gloves with wrist protection built in seem to be poorly built and
inefficient. Should I get skateboard wrist guards to wear inside a larger
pair of gloves??

4. Finally, I started venturing into the half pipe, however, not coming too
far off the sides, maybe a few inches or so. Are there lessons available for
this kind of stuff? Where could I get some tips on how to get some air off
the sides. I'm a bit scared to go too fast and wipe out bad. Any tips on
making good turns and getting off the sides?

BTW: I'm ride goofy.

Thanks in advance,

Old January 22nd 04, 09:19 PM
Spiff

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:58:52 -0500, "MP"
wrote:

Just a few questions from a beginner-intermediate snowboarder.

1. Last Saturday I went snowboarding and I think I injured my wrist.
However, during the day I snowboarded I did not feel that I majorly hurt any
part of my body any more than regular (like falling down etc). Since then,
my right wrist (I am right handed) has been hurting more and more, yesterday
being the most hurt and least movable. I'm sure it's not broken as it hurts
only in certain directions that I move it, however, it hurts from inertia
(moving my whole arm from side to side) and this worries me. Any ideas? I am
going to go see a doctor in a few days if the mobility doesn't come back and
it still hurts; I'm assuming it's a bad sprain, I'm just confused about the
delayed reaction.

possible broken scaphoid(sp?) hurts like hell..little bone between you
thumb and forefinger....get in and get it looked at...if its a broken
bone they wont put a caste on if you wait more then 24-48 hours...

Spiff

Old January 22nd 04, 10:51 PM
paul m

MP wrote:

Just a few questions from a beginner-intermediate snowboarder.

1. Last Saturday I went snowboarding and I think I injured my wrist.
However, during the day I snowboarded I did not feel that I majorly hurt any
part of my body any more than regular (like falling down etc). Since then,
my right wrist (I am right handed) has been hurting more and more, yesterday
being the most hurt and least movable. I'm sure it's not broken as it hurts
only in certain directions that I move it, however, it hurts from inertia
(moving my whole arm from side to side) and this worries me. Any ideas? I am
going to go see a doctor in a few days if the mobility doesn't come back and
it still hurts; I'm assuming it's a bad sprain, I'm just confused about the
delayed reaction.

sometimes i tweak my thumb out in a fall or just pushing myself up wrong and the
pain feels somewhat like what you expressed. it could also just be little
muscles that you haven't used before hurtin in wierd ways. i get this a lot in
my legs at teh beginning of the new season.
or... it could be a sprain/break.
i agree with spiff... have it looked at.

2. I would like to get some new pants, as the ones I have get soaked in the
ass and by the end of the day I'm cold and not enjoying myself. I have been
looking and Columbia sports wear simply because they have lifetime warranty
and have seen Convert pants (Geodesic and Edge Rider) that are made to be
waterproof with Omni-Tech material and so on. Can anyone that has these give
me some input as to how waterproof they are? Also, I am open to other
suggestions from users with personal experience (please don't tell me "I
heard this and that").

okay, now something that i think i can answer authoritatively. or at least try.

foursquare makes a really good 20,000mm pant for cheap. i bought mine for just
over $100US. i wore them for 3 years until the ass wore out and i decided to
cough up the money for some burton AK's.
best thing i've done in forever. they rock! 38,000mm (i think) and very
durable. cost me $180US
burton makes the higher end pants in a 2L or 3L, with the 3L being the most
waterproof, and reading your post, that sounds like your number one concern.
i have no experience with the converts or columbia, except that my ex recently
upgraded from a columbia pant to burton ak's and was super happy.
oh... and my cousin reps for them. go ian!

3. Also, this past Saturday, the tow rope in the skate park ripped both my
Kombi gloves that I really liked and were very warm and comfortable. I'm
looking to get a new pair, but I also want wrist protection. From what I've
read, most gloves with wrist protection built in seem to be poorly built and
inefficient. Should I get skateboard wrist guards to wear inside a larger
pair of gloves??

yeah, don't buy the gloves that have wrist protection built in, if you require
wrist protection, per question #1, then buy each separately. i did some google
searches and couldn't find any companies making combined gloves that i would buy
from.
kombi makes a great glove, as does burton. i went with burton mitts this year
and i love them. i think they were the toaster model. my biggest concern is
making the overlap between my glove/mitt's gauntlet and my jacket snug and
tight. wrist protection might inhibit that. burton *does* make wrist guard, so
maybe they've engineered something that addresses this. *shrug*

4. Finally, I started venturing into the half pipe, however, not coming too
far off the sides, maybe a few inches or so. Are there lessons available for
this kind of stuff? Where could I get some tips on how to get some air off
the sides. I'm a bit scared to go too fast and wipe out bad. Any tips on
making good turns and getting off the sides?

in summary, here's how i got comfortable with the pipe:
i went to a smaller resort here in utah (powder mtn) on a weekday, early before
there was anybody at all in the pipe. and just hiked the pipe for 3 hours
straight. i didn't take the time to ride down to the lift, as i wanted to
maximize my time there. its good to go to a resort that has a pipe away from
the bottom of the resort, or thats harder to get to, as that obviously cuts down
on the number of people that will be there. i wanted a day all to myself, so
that a) i kept my ego intact and b) you don't have to wait for others to make
their runs.
i just started out hitting the walls with increasing speed until i gradually
came off the lip. then i made the conscious decision that when i came off the
lip to rotate with my upper body into a 90+ degree turn forcing my board back
down the wall at the same kind of angle i went up it. you don't have to do a
whole 180, as you're already coming up the transition with angle. you just have
to turn enough to come back down with angle.
i also had to forcibly teach myself to lean back into the center of the pipe as
i came up the transition. this was really important to me. it made travelling
with speed, coming off the lip, and rotating back down all smoother. but it was
scary, and required commitment.
two major things to remember... 1) when learning, always come at the lip with an
angle, *not* straight at it. every time i did this i would catch big vertical
air, but come down hard on the lip or transition and wreck myself. the angle
thing helps dramatically by naturally creating air, but in a position that you
can respond to. make sense? and 2) imagine the landing. this is still an
issue to this day. when i don't scope and concentrate on my landing, **** gets
sketchy quick. i don't know how else to say it but like this... imagine the way
you want your board to re-enter, and it'll come naturally. oh, one more
thing... don't step up too soon.
i've found that practicing the same trick again and again, before moving on, has
the best affect. it ingrains the thought in your head solidly. but thats how i
work. you could be different.

reading all that now, it all sounds so obvious and cliched, but thats honestly
the best way to explain it.

there's a todd richards video that teaches pipe technique. its available via
amazon and many other places. i have not personally seen it.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p_how-to_v...207_formatinfo

in addition, i noticed that the american association of snowbord instructors now
has a certification for instructing pipe technique. so its feasible that in the
near future you'll be able to take a lesson.
http://www.aasi.org/aasi2002/ppf.asp?mode=&item=2

hope this helps
good turns...
paul

Old January 23rd 04, 01:58 AM
Bob

"MP" wrote in message
3. Also, this past Saturday, the tow rope in the skate park

ripped both my
Kombi gloves that I really liked and were very warm and

comfortable. I'm
looking to get a new pair,

Make sure they have real leather in the grip area to survive the
rope tow. The fake stuff, which feels sort of rubbery, will not
survive.

Bob

Old January 23rd 04, 05:05 AM
Arvin Chang

"MP" wrote in message ...
Just a few questions from a beginner-intermediate snowboarder.
3. Also, this past Saturday, the tow rope in the skate park ripped both my
Kombi gloves that I really liked and were very warm and comfortable. I'm
looking to get a new pair, but I also want wrist protection. From what I've
read, most gloves with wrist protection built in seem to be poorly built and
inefficient. Should I get skateboard wrist guards to wear inside a larger
pair of gloves??

I used and recommend No-Gomer over the glove/mitt wristguards. I've
being using them for 6 years now (wow it's been a while). They are
designed specifically for snowboarders and I find them to be
excellent.

The upper and bottom splints are extra wide, which help absorb the
significantly great forcers involved in snowboarding compared to
rollerblading/skateboard. In addition, the bottom splint is designed
such that you never take the force of the impact on your palm like
more "kinked" rollerblade wristguards.

It's a little hard to describe, but the force of impact is redirect
along the length of the splints and through the straps (the guard will
slide a little). This dramatically reduces the impact as the force is
spread of over a significantly larger area and the slightly shift in
the guards lengths the impact absorption time, spreading out the time
of impact, which also reduces the force of the impact. That probably
didn't make much sense, let just say I think it works really well. Let
me know if you want me to try explain further.

Finally, they have a really good thumb protector that keeps you from
ever jamming or hyper-extending your thumb.

They used to sell for $45, but now are only $20 as Auclair now
produces them... here is a link where you can buy them.

http://www.reliableracing.com/Winter...&category=3000

I'll talk about riding the halfpipe another time.
--Arvin
Old January 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
MP

Thanks to all that replied. You guys are a good bunch here! I made an
appointment for Monday to go get my wrist checked out, although the pain is
going away and the mobility coming back, better be safe then sorry.

I will definitely have to wear wrist guards for every snowboard outing from
now on.

MP

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
m...

-----

Old January 25th 04, 09:16 AM
Mighty Gof

possible broken scaphoid(sp?) hurts like hell..little bone between you
thumb and forefinger....get in and get it looked at...if its a broken
bone they wont put a caste on if you wait more then 24-48 hours...

I broke my scaphoid (more like cracked it in two) a year ago boarding -
didnąt think too much of it at time although I had trouble fastening my
bindings cause of the pain, however later that day my whole arm was tingling
so I went to the hospital - spent 8 weeks in cast.
Still aches today - especially after a climbing or gym session and soemdays
it hurts so badly it is very uncomfortable carrying my kids around - go get
it checkout out asap m8 just in case.

On the boarding torusers - I always go for Westbeach - some real nice
boaridng pants out this season.

Gof

Old January 25th 04, 09:17 AM
Mighty Gof

On 23/1/04 7:16 pm, in article , "MP"
stubbed his toe writing:

Thanks to all that replied. You guys are a good bunch here! I made an
appointment for Monday to go get my wrist checked out, although the pain is
going away and the mobility coming back, better be safe then sorry.

I will definitely have to wear wrist guards for every snowboard outing from
now on.

MP

Check out the dakine wrist protectors - cost Ł15 usually and are very
flexible with great protection - much nicer than sk8 ones.

Gof