World Cup Biathlon in Lake Placid

Old February 20th 04, 12:06 PM
Bob Maswick

Default World Cup Biathlon in Lake Placid

Greetings All! -

On Februray 27, 28 & 29 Mount Van Hoevenberg is hosting a stop on the
World Cup Biathlon circuit. In an effort to encourage attendance, we
are giving away free day passes at Van Hoevenberg on the days you
attend the competition and passes for downhill skiing at Whiteface
Mtn.

This is all free and tickets are not required, but if you print one
out each day you will be entered in a number of raffles. If you write
my name on the top line, I get brownie points! For all the details,
see -
http://www.orda.org/wc.biathlon.spl.pg.htm

You get to see world class competitors, ski on the same trails used in
the Olympics, and maybe get your face captured on Euro TV - all for
free! Hope to see you all there!

- Bob
Old February 20th 04, 04:55 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bob Maswick wrote:

Greetings All! -

On Februray 27, 28 & 29 Mount Van Hoevenberg is hosting a stop on the
World Cup Biathlon circuit. In an effort to encourage attendance, we
are giving away free day passes at Van Hoevenberg on the days you
attend the competition and passes for downhill skiing at Whiteface
Mtn.

Hey, this is exciting! I'm going to see if I can get out there for
this. Any other RSNers likely to be there?

Complicating factor is my wife will be out of town that weekend so I
have childcare duty. But our au pair (from Estonia) thinks she'd like
to see the races, too. (What American babysitter would want to tag
along to an event like this!?) Brother-in-law is thinking about going
with his family, too.

A few questions, if you have time to respond, Bob, or anyone else who
can answer:

1. Lodging: I'm thinking Holiday Inn because they have an indoor pool,
which would be interesting for the kids. Any other choices with indoor
pool? This is the only one I'm aware of. Are there any places that
include breakfast (NOT continental, thank you, a real breakfast) in
the room rate? (Like Embassy Suites, et al.)

2. Is the speed-skating oval still open for public skating in the
evenings? (It's been several years since I've been to LP, so I don't
want to assume past memories will directly map to current realities.)

3. A bit of confusion from reading the biathlon web page. Am I reading
this correctly? We can get free passes to the ski trails but if we want
to do any spectating out on the trails during the WC events, we have to
buy trail passes and they are extremely limited? So free trail passes
are just for those who do their spectating at the firing range, for the
benefit of the TV cameras?

4...

You get to see world class competitors, ski on the same trails used in
the Olympics, and maybe get your face captured on Euro TV - all for
free! Hope to see you all there!

Do we have a better chance getting the kids on TV if we paint their
faces with American flag or Estonian? :-)

-Mitch

Old February 20th 04, 06:38 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

A few questions, if you have time to respond, Bob, or anyone else who
can answer:

1. Lodging: I'm thinking Holiday Inn because they have an indoor pool,
which would be interesting for the kids. Any other choices with indoor
pool? This is the only one I'm aware of. Are there any places that
include breakfast (NOT continental, thank you, a real breakfast) in
the room rate? (Like Embassy Suites, et al.)

After an e-mail interchange with Eddie Luban it's now clear that it
was Howard Johnson's I was thinking of when I said Holiday Inn.

The other related question I'm wondering is if there are any places
with suites rather than standard rooms. (Oh, and of course a waxing
room, too!) (Yeah, right.) I probably need to call the Convention
Bureau to sort this out.

-Mitch

Old February 20th 04, 10:54 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 20 Feb 2004 10:38:51 -0800, (Mitch
Collinsworth) wrote:

The other related question I'm wondering is if there are any places
with suites rather than standard rooms. (Oh, and of course a waxing
room, too!) (Yeah, right.)

You can wax at the cross-country lodge at Van Hoevenberg.

JT
Old February 23rd 04, 12:33 PM
Bob Maswick

(Mitch Collinsworth) wrote in message mr.cornell.edu...

1. Lodging: I'm thinking Holiday Inn

Like Eddie suggested, the HoJo's is a great choice - kind and
thoughtful staff, pool, great restaurant, access to the Brewster
Penisula trails, PLUS it is right across the street from the Carribean
Cowboy - our new fave restaurant!

2. Is the speed-skating oval still open for public skating

Yes, shared w/ speedskating from 4-6 pm, then open public skating.

3. A bit of confusion from reading the biathlon web page. Am I reading
this correctly? We can get free passes to the ski trails but if we want
to do any spectating out on the trails during the WC events, we have to
buy trail passes and they are extremely limited? So free trail passes
are just for those who do their spectating at the firing range, for the
benefit of the TV cameras?

Absolutely and totally correct - there is a definite push to build the
crowd in the Biathlon stadium area for the Euro TV cameras. What I
have heard is that the IBU (Int'l Biathlon Union?) requires a minimum
"crowd" to be considered for a stop on next year's circuit.

And yes, face painting is definitely encouraged!

Sorry for the delay in replying - it was Empire State Games weekend
here in LP. We got to see a lot of the biathlon teams practicing as
they are there now. If you get a chance, check out the team rooms - a
gazillion pairs of skis for each racer and every wax known to man!

- Bob
Old February 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

Well my wife had already made other plans, but when I told her about
this she informed me I'm not going without her. Looks like we'll be
there. I just made a non-cancelable reservation at the Holiday Inn.
(HoJo was apparently already full up.)

We'll be the ones pulling the 3-year-old twins in the red and blue
pulks. Say hi if you see us. Will be looking for John T. on Saturday.
Anyone else here going?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Bob Maswick wrote:

2. Is the speed-skating oval still open for public skating

Yes, shared w/ speedskating from 4-6 pm, then open public skating.

Good. If my memory is right, Holiday Inn is a short walk from the
skating oval.

Absolutely and totally correct - there is a definite push to build the
crowd in the Biathlon stadium area for the Euro TV cameras. What I
have heard is that the IBU (Int'l Biathlon Union?) requires a minimum
"crowd" to be considered for a stop on next year's circuit.

Wow. Never heard anything like that before but I guess I understand
the logic driving it.

And yes, face painting is definitely encouraged!

A skill I know nothing about. Will have to get a crash course. The
kids might or might not enjoy spectating at their age but they'd
certainly get into this. :-)

I remember a ski-O world cup race once in a small town in Norway called
Os. It was on a weekday and the school let the kids out to attend the
race. There were hoards of kids there, all with Norwegian flags painted
on their faces. They were running around asking everyone for autographs.
Pretty fun. Unfortunately I broke a ski that day. :-(

Sorry for the delay in replying - it was Empire State Games weekend
here in LP. We got to see a lot of the biathlon teams practicing as
they are there now. If you get a chance, check out the team rooms - a
gazillion pairs of skis for each racer and every wax known to man!

Yep. Seen it on the ski-O circuit. Rather intimidating to a small team
that has to do their own skis! :-)

-Mitch

Old March 1st 04, 02:36 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

It was great seeing this level of competition up close. I watched the
women's pursuit in the stadium Saturday and it was great. Uschi Disl
and Sandrine Bailly's skiing are wild -- so fast. Disl gained like
six places in the last 2.5K and seemed to come out of nowhere..

We were standing right behind American Rachel Steer on her last shoot
and she got them all -- as she had done during the other three shoots.
There was a big roar from the crowd when she left the stadium in 6th.

Today I watched the men's race mainly from a hill on the course. The
intensity of the leaders was impressive. My wife was most impressed
by how smooth the top guys look. One of the Norwegians (not
Bjoerndalen or Andresen so I'm not sure who) went skiing by us on
Saturday and she couldn't stop talking about how stable and focussed
the guys skiing was -- no wasted motion.

I hope they can get a World Cup again in Placid in a few years.

I saw one weird thing this morning. A couple of the German women were
walking around parts of the Flatlander loop --- I guess just taking a
nice walk on a nice day. What was odd was the hat one of them was
wearing -- it was one of the hats they wore in ceremonies at the
Olympics like on this page http://www.andrea-henkel.de/ (it wasn't
Henkel though).

JT