3 Vallees Lift Pass

Old January 17th 04, 11:10 AM
Mike_Chapman

Default 3 Vallees Lift Pass

I'm visiting Val Thorens on 31st Jan and need a lift pass for 8 days
for the whole 3 Vallees area.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit in waiting until I get to the
resort to buy the lift pass?

In my experience, the French have not fully grasped the concept of the
free-market, so I am expecting that the price will be pretty much
fixed (rigged?) wherever it is sold. However, I would obviously be
interested if anyone knows otherwise.
Old January 17th 04, 11:59 AM
Rob White

If you buy in resort you will at least not be paying a tour operator mark-up
if you pre-pay through them. I'm not aware of a discount for buying direct
in advance.

Rob
om...

Old January 17th 04, 06:04 PM
Steve Haigh

Mike_Chapman wrote:

In my experience, the French have not fully grasped the concept of the
free-market, so I am expecting that the price will be pretty much
fixed (rigged?) wherever it is sold. However, I would obviously be
interested if anyone knows otherwise.

Given that I can think of about a dozen resorts off the top of my head
which are as good as or better than the 3 valleys I'd say it was pretty
much a free market. They are competing against resorts across the world,
so even if the French did try and rig ski lift prices it wouldn't do
them a lot of good. I'm sure the 3 valleys keep an eye on the Espace
Killy, Pardise Ski(?), Grand Massif and Portes du Soleil prices, but
it's going a bit far to claim the prices are fixed.

For what it's worth the French prices seem to be cheaper than comparable
Swiss and US resorts - Verbier and Jackson Holes charge more than the 3
Valleys. Not checked recently thought so exchanges rates may alter that
a little, especialy with regard to the US.
Old January 17th 04, 08:07 PM
Ian

Mike_Chapman wrote:
I'm visiting Val Thorens on 31st Jan and need a lift pass for 8 days
for the whole 3 Vallees area.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit in waiting until I get to the
resort to buy the lift pass?

In my experience, the French have not fully grasped the concept of the
free-market, so I am expecting that the price will be pretty much
fixed (rigged?) wherever it is sold. However, I would obviously be
interested if anyone knows otherwise.

Just returned from 8 days in Courchevel 1550 - lift pass price from
Crystal rep (on the bus) was 241 euro, the same as advertised on the
official website.

Ian W.

Old January 17th 04, 08:27 PM
Bill Seddon

"Ian" wrote in message
Mike_Chapman wrote:
I'm visiting Val Thorens on 31st Jan and need a lift pass for 8 days
for the whole 3 Vallees area.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit in waiting until I get to the
resort to buy the lift pass?

In my experience, the French have not fully grasped the concept of the
free-market, so I am expecting that the price will be pretty much
fixed (rigged?) wherever it is sold. However, I would obviously be
interested if anyone knows otherwise.

Just returned from 8 days in Courchevel 1550 - lift pass price from
Crystal rep (on the bus) was 241 euro, the same as advertised on the
official website.

Ian W.

How much of the pass could you use? Looked to be a lot closed due the
avalanche risk on the websites. Did you get into any of the other valleys?
Would a Courchevel only pass have been enough? Did the reps give you any
advice?

Wish I was out there now, planning an Easter trip.

Bill

Old January 18th 04, 11:09 AM
pete devlin

In message , Steve Haigh
writes
Given that I can think of about a dozen resorts off the top of my head
which are as good as or better than the 3 valleys

I take it you're an alpine building spotter then? You can't be talking
about skiing area. It's in the top 5, no question.
--
Pete Devlin (To email - press reply, remove Garbage Sifter)
Lossiemouth RUFC http://www.lossiemouth-rufc.co.uk
Old January 18th 04, 12:04 PM
Ian Spare

pete devlin wrote:

I take it you're an alpine building spotter then? You can't be talking
about skiing area. It's in the top 5, no question.

You must be joking, even the most partisan observer would accept it's
pretty subjective. For example, it's my opinion that many of the pistes
in the 3v tend to motorways and are unchallenging, there's certainly
some good runs and some interesting off-piste though.

Ian

Old January 18th 04, 12:29 PM
Ian

Bill Seddon wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Mike_Chapman wrote:

Just returned from 8 days in Courchevel 1550 - lift pass price from
Crystal rep (on the bus) was 241 euro, the same as advertised on the
official website.

Ian W.

How much of the pass could you use? Looked to be a lot closed due the
avalanche risk on the websites. Did you get into any of the other valleys?
Would a Courchevel only pass have been enough? Did the reps give you any
advice?

Wish I was out there now, planning an Easter trip.

Bill

Was there first week of Jan so we missed most of the problems associated
with the fresh snow/rain. If the snow had been in tip top condition I
probably would have been happy with just a Courchevel pass (196 euro)
possibly getting a 1 day extension for 19 euro.
But the snow wasn't great at the start of the week so a full 3 valleys
pass made things more interesting.

Ian W.

Old January 18th 04, 12:53 PM
pete devlin

In message , Ian Spare
writes
You must be joking,

No

even the most partisan observer would accept it's pretty subjective.

Of course.

For example, it's my opinion that many of the pistes in the 3v tend to
motorways and are unchallenging,

they get you to the good stuff very quickly!

there's certainly some good runs and some interesting off-piste
though.

The size, vastness and variety make it one of the best. There is so much
off piste it is unreal. Going back to my original point, I can't think
of 12 better ski areas. Can you?
Old January 18th 04, 02:51 PM
Steve Haigh

pete devlin wrote:
The size, vastness and variety make it one of the best. There is so much
off piste it is unreal. Going back to my original point, I can't think
of 12 better ski areas. Can you?

I said about a dozen "as good as or better". Here's my personal choice
of places I would choose before the 3V, for various reasons, primarily
decent off-piste. (no particular order).

.. Flaine/ Grand Massif
.. Espace Killy
.. Verbier
.. Whistler/Blackcomb
.. Jackson Hole
.. Fernie
.. Banff (Sunshine and Lake Louise)
.. St Anton
.. Chamonix

a few I have not skied but intend to very soon:
.. Alta/Snowbird
.. Monterosa
.. Portes du Soleil
.. Wengen

There are plenty more I'm sure. For me there is no point in having 300
miles of pistes (or whatever it is) if 90% is motorways.

Anyway, whether they are better than 3 valleys is not really the point,
my point was that there is no evidence of price fixing in lift pass
prices, and even if a resort did try and fix up some sort of cartel
they'd have to do it on a huge, worldwide scale. It just isn't happening.