Patagonia wants your smelly capilene underwear!

Old September 14th 05, 02:34 AM
The Real Bev

Default Patagonia wants your smelly capilene underwear!

No kidding...
http://www2.pasadenastarnews.com/business/ci_3023552

In case the link dies:

"While many Southland companies struggle to recycle the most basic paper
products, Ventura-based Patagonia Inc., famous for its environmental leanings
and bold, green-friendly policies, is preparing to recycle the polyester
undergarments it already sells into new Patagonia clothing.

"The program, named "Common Threads," is intended to help conserve the use of
national resources by using existing, worn clothing to produce new,
ready-to-wear items.

"On Monday the company's Pasadena store began accepting older versions of its
polyester Capilene line, which typically retails for $29 to $63, depending on
the item. Alan Burt, who manages the site at 47 N. Fair Oaks Ave., said he had
received several inquiries about the recycling program from customers, but
none had donated garments by midday Monday.

"It's still in its infancy at the moment, but the word is beginning to spread,
and the response has been enthusiastic from the customers," Burt said. "We
haven't had anything come in at this point in time, but we're sure we're going
to receive a bunch of old underwear in the next couple of weeks."

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 14th 05, 03:29 AM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

we're sure we're going
to receive a bunch of old underwear in the next couple of weeks."

I'd give my 20 year old undies if they'd bring back the Wallace Beery
expedition wt top. Til then, I'm hanging onto em.
Old September 14th 05, 03:30 AM
Chriggity

lol...I dunno why they Eff with stuff that's not broken. It's just
underwear...Not like we're all yearning for the next revolution in
underwear (besides not wearing any).....I keed, I keeeeed.

Old September 14th 05, 03:34 PM
Bill Tuthill

lal_truckee wrote:

we're sure we're going
to receive a bunch of old underwear in the next couple of weeks."

I'd give my 20 year old undies if they'd bring back the Wallace Beery
expedition wt top. Til then, I'm hanging onto em.

You want mine? Size L, color Teal, recently washed, only one hole
in the left arm from a campfire spark.

I prefer Polartec mesh fleece for warmth, PowerDry for ventilation.

Old September 14th 05, 03:48 PM
Walt

Bill Tuthill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

we're sure we're going
to receive a bunch of old underwear in the next couple of weeks."

I'd give my 20 year old undies if they'd bring back the Wallace Beery
expedition wt top. Til then, I'm hanging onto em.

You want mine? Size L, color Teal, recently washed, only one hole
in the left arm from a campfire spark.

I think they're only accepting white - rumour has it that they're trying
to re-make this advert:

http://www.searchmont.com/media/index.html

//Walt
Old September 14th 05, 05:03 PM
lal_truckee

Bill Tuthill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

we're sure we're going
to receive a bunch of old underwear in the next couple of weeks."

I'd give my 20 year old undies if they'd bring back the Wallace Beery
expedition wt top. Til then, I'm hanging onto em.

You want mine? Size L, color Teal, recently washed, only one hole
in the left arm from a campfire spark.

Sure - next time you're in the neighborhod drop by for a spot of skiing
and donate to the cause of timeless functionality.
Old September 14th 05, 05:12 PM
Ron - N.Y

phfff yah that will work , they don't even offer a pitiful incentive like
maybe reimbursing shipping or maybe 10 % off your next purchase , nothing .
So I'm supposed to send them my old underwear , find a box , pack it up ,
make out the label , go to the post office , wait on line and pay shipping
for the peace of mind of knowing that I'm helping Patagonia save material
and make more money , yep that will help me sleep better at night .....

Old September 14th 05, 05:26 PM
bdubya

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:12:53 -0400, "Ron - N.Y"
wrote:

phfff yah that will work , they don't even offer a pitiful incentive like
maybe reimbursing shipping or maybe 10 % off your next purchase , nothing .
So I'm supposed to send them my old underwear , find a box , pack it up ,
make out the label , go to the post office , wait on line and pay shipping
for the peace of mind of knowing that I'm helping Patagonia save material
and make more money , yep that will help me sleep better at night .....

Or drop it at one of their stores. Of course, that only makes sense
if you live within striking distance of one of their stores. I do,
but I'm not going to abandon a perfectly serviceable set of long johns
just so I can upgrade (at full price) to a newer-generation Capilene;

Combine the difficulty with the relatively low # of people who happen
to have Capilene gear that has outlived its service life laying
around, and this doesn't look like it's going to Save Planet Earth.

bw
Old September 14th 05, 07:53 PM
The Real Bev

"Ron - N.Y" wrote:

phfff yah that will work , they don't even offer a pitiful incentive like
maybe reimbursing shipping or maybe 10 % off your next purchase , nothing .
So I'm supposed to send them my old underwear , find a box , pack it up ,
make out the label , go to the post office , wait on line and pay shipping
for the peace of mind of knowing that I'm helping Patagonia save material
and make more money , yep that will help me sleep better at night .....

Man, I bet if you lived in NO you'd pick the pockets of the flood victims!

It did seem a bit cheesy. They probably even get some sort of tax writeoff,
the *******s. SUE 'EM!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 15th 05, 02:13 PM
ant

They can bugger off. I got my first patagonia long johns in early 97 and
have worn them very regularly (2 winters per year) since then. The care
labels disintigrated long ago, but the gear looks like new. And it's not
smelly!

I got a boxful of various weight longjohns mailed to me when in the US last
season. That variable weight stuff is pretty good. Never could work out what
the silkweight stuff was in aid of though.

I notice that they now print the care info straight onto the clothing.

--
ant