So IS anybody home?

Old April 27th 05, 08:34 PM
klaus

Gary S. wrote:

In various Italian specialty shops, and a few of the large
supermarkets in the area, they carry a brand called Amore.

Amore sells small tubes (like toothpaste) with various pastes:
sun-dried tomato, pesto, garlic, olive, and double concentrated
tomato. maybe others. 2.8 oz tube, no refrigeration until opened.

Refrigeration will not be a problem. Keeping it from freezing will be
a bigger issue. Your water bottles freeze if you don't sleep with them
in intimate fashion.

Lots of options with these.

Yes! I like that.

Try Googling rec.backcountry as the topic comes up there quite a bit.

Will do. Thanks!

Besides freezedried, there are quite a few supermarket items which
work well. The Lipton Noodles 'n Sauce, Pasta 'n Sauce, Rice 'n Sauce
are a staple for many, a great base for other meals.

Yes. Bear Creek Kitchens makes some good soups as well, but there's
the gas issues, which can get ugly in close quarters. For three days
at a time. Although, sad to say, you get used to it.

The same companies which sell freezedried meals for backpackers sell
similar foods in large quantity for the survivalist market, and they
also sell components (freeze dried chicken or veggies).

Yah, we're buyiing a lot in bulk. $8 a meal is a bit much when buying
small salty meals. You could easily spend $80 a day. Multiply by 30,
and it's a significant chink of change. Bulk is the way to go.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 08:41 PM
VtSkier

klaus wrote:
(snip)

Yes. Bear Creek Kitchens makes some good soups as well, but there's
the gas issues, which can get ugly in close quarters. For three days
at a time. Although, sad to say, you get used to it.

I got just one word for you...
Beano
It works. 1 or 2 oz bottle lasts for months.

(snip the rest)

Old April 27th 05, 08:46 PM
klaus

VtSkier wrote:
klaus wrote:
(snip)

Yes. Bear Creek Kitchens makes some good soups as well, but there's
the gas issues, which can get ugly in close quarters. For three days
at a time. Although, sad to say, you get used to it.

I got just one word for you...
Beano
It works. 1 or 2 oz bottle lasts for months.

I hadn't really thought about it, but damn, good idea. Although we
have banished the worst culprit to his own tent.

Symphonie Flatulance, 2nd Movement.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 08:56 PM
VtSkier

klaus wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

klaus wrote:
(snip)

Yes. Bear Creek Kitchens makes some good soups as well, but there's
the gas issues, which can get ugly in close quarters. For three days
at a time. Although, sad to say, you get used to it.

I got just one word for you...
Beano
It works. 1 or 2 oz bottle lasts for months.

I hadn't really thought about it, but damn, good idea. Although we
have banished the worst culprit to his own tent.

Symphonie Flatulance, 2nd Movement.

-klaus

Well, there are those for whom there is no help. You also
don't put him/her at the front of the line, do you?

Old April 27th 05, 09:42 PM
klaus

VtSkier wrote:

Well, there are those for whom there is no help. You also
don't put him/her at the front of the line, do you?

Depends which way the wind in blowing.

-klaus

Old April 27th 05, 10:57 PM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

MattB wrote:
For staples I usually just bring rice and pasta dishes for my main meals
and supplement it with jerky for protein.

That's the basic plan, but when it's a month, you crave variety.. and
anything you're missing.

In Paris I craved peanut butter, but wasn't about to pay what they wanted for
the imported American delicacy.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old April 27th 05, 11:02 PM
MattB

klaus wrote:
snoig wrote:

"klaus" wrote in message

Not so concerned about buzz per gram. We're taking 100 dollar per
liter scotrch and tequila. It has great barter value.. And tastes
great. You rarely take more than a sip anyway, unless you have some
really atrractive company.

Or maybe some really unattractive company but YMMV.

hahahah That's what Canadian Club is for.

-klaus

Canadian Club for HER, and fill your own cup with the Patron or McAllan
(or whatever your definition of the good stuff is).

If you were really concerned with buzz per gram, I think LSD is your
best bet. Of course that could complicate other things significantly,
but you'd certainly be able to pack light in terms of "buzz weight".

Matt (the buzz per weight ratio was something I worked on in college for
backpacking trips and I was also broke)

Old April 28th 05, 02:01 AM
pigo

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
EOM

Well, OK, I guess an obski is in order... ****, I don't have one.
Maybe next
year...

I'm home, for now. Just getting my **** packed to head off to work.

Old April 28th 05, 02:03 AM
ant

Gary S. wrote:

Besides freezedried, there are quite a few supermarket items which
work well. The Lipton Noodles 'n Sauce, Pasta 'n Sauce, Rice 'n Sauce
are a staple for many, a great base for other meals.

couscous is a good rice alternative, it cooks faster and I think it is a bit
lighter in weight, too.

ant

Old April 28th 05, 02:03 AM
ant

MattB wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Well, OK, I guess an obski is in order... ****, I don't have one. Maybe
next year...

It's mountain biking season now! Although I got snowed on riding the
other day the biking is definitely better than the skiing right now.

I think I'm done skiing for the season. I even moved my skis to their
summer storage location.

It is the Indian Summer from hell here. Winter starts in June, and today the
forcast is for 27 C which is summer temps. April is headed to be teh hottest
april on record. Anyway, winter arrives tomorrow apparently so I'm off to
buy a ute-load of firewood before they put the prices up. The bloke reckoned
they don't even have their main yard open yet, as no one is interested.

I'd better get the duct-tape off my skis (to stop them moving in my bag and
wrecking all my fancy new patagonia and marmot thermal underwear loot) and
put some wax on them, ready for June.

ant