Helx Question

Old March 1st 05, 03:08 PM
Dave Mayo-Kiely

Default Helx Question

This is to anyone that has a fair amount of experience with Helx.

Friday afternoon before the Birkie, I had my skis all prepped to put Helx
Cold on. Had a friend watching as I was saying how easy it is and that you
are supposed to get around 10 applicaitons per can and this is only my 3rd
maybe 4th application. After I sprayed one pass on one ski I went back to
do a few touch ups and nothing came out of the can, then a few drops. I was
stunned and my mind was racing. Do I drive to New Moon and buy a new can?
How would it work to have one ski with Helx and one with out? Where did all
the Helx go? I put the other ski up on the bench and as I worked the nozzle
in any direction it would go, a few drops started dripping out. I then
started spreading these around with my finger. Finally the nozzle began to
work again but still not that great. I ended up with good coverage,
probably more than was needed. But it was quite the panic. I have always
kept the Helx in its own ziploc and as I said have only used it 3 maybe 4
tiem prior to this Birkie. So my real qustions a

How many applications can you get out of a can (I know there will be some
fluctuation in terms of how much you put on)?

Do the nozzles clog and if so how do you fix that?

Is there anyway to know how much is left in the can? In telling the story
to a friend after the race he said he started next to a guy who had a can
run out after one ski and that is how he skied the Birkie, no end report
though.

Do temp fluctuations have an effect on the bottle? It was in my car fo rmy
drive over Friday but had been in a warm house for about an hour prior to
application.

Is there any good way to rip the nozzle off and get the Helx out without it
spraying all over the place?

Is my bottle just deffective and can I get a new one?

In the end, my skis were good and I was happy I used the Helx I just wish I
could have avoided the mass panic.

Thanks

Dave

Old March 1st 05, 11:41 PM
telewhacker

How many applications can you get out of a can (I know there will be

some
fluctuation in terms of how much you put on)?

Seems like ten is the norm, ymmv.

Do the nozzles clog and if so how do you fix that?

Yes they do, remove and soak it in hot water to clear.

Is there anyway to know how much is left in the can?

Shake it, there should be sloshing fluids.

In telling the story
to a friend after the race he said he started next to a guy who had a

can
run out after one ski and that is how he skied the Birkie, no end

report
though.

Sounds kind of urban legendish: "friend of a friend."

Is there any good way to rip the nozzle off and get the Helx out

without it
spraying all over the place?

just pop it off and clean it.

Old March 6th 05, 06:26 AM
lghtnquik lghtnquik is offline
Junior Member

Too much HelX is the worst thing to do. Spray them fast a few seconds does the ski length. Never, never go back and touch them up. Too much it gums to a point not that you can see but it does and what it does is pull all the wax out of your base. A friend of mine learned that the hard way in this Birkie. The Toko rep told me that you should get 15 pairs from a can.