Bulgaria

Old September 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Lyndon Barrie

Default Bulgaria

Hi.
Planning a ski trip to Bulgaria as the prices are low!
Has anyone any experience with the amount of snow? or quality of
accomadation?
any feedback appreciated on any other topics too.

Thanks.
Lyndon

Old September 21st 04, 02:15 PM
John Elgy

Lyndon Barrie wrote:

Hi.
Planning a ski trip to Bulgaria as the prices are low!
Has anyone any experience with the amount of snow? or quality of
accomadation?
any feedback appreciated on any other topics too.

Thanks.
Lyndon

I used to work in Bulgaria a bit about 8 or 9 years ago and we used to
go skiing whenever possible. Even though we worked in Sofia my Bulgarian
colleagues would take me to Borovets, rather than the local hill,
Vitoshen, because the skiing was much better there. We once even went
south to Bansko near the Greek border (a very beautiful village).

The snow was usually a bit patchy with the lower slopes unskiable, but
the upper ones were OK. The Balkan range is an old mountain range, well
denuded, so there are few steep slopes to entertain more advanced
skiers. It is a very under populated region and there are allegedly
bears in the woods and there are a lot of woods.

The main telecabine out of Borovets had some huge queues but they were
very good natured and you were even allowed to leave the queue for a cup
of coffee and come back to your place. Once out of the town there were
no queues to speak of.

The accommodation was fine, though scattered about the resort. We always
needed to drive into the resort centre. I found the food, not exactly to
my taste. It always seemed to be a luke warm mixed grill with chips. The
wine, however, was excellent.

In recent years I have heard some stories of thefts from hotel rooms in
Bulgaria so I would advise to be on your guard and put valuables in the
hotel safe. Actually this is probably good advice for everywhere.

I find the Bulgarians very nice people who make a great effort to be
friendly and always enjoyed my time there, but, probably, would not
actually use my limited holiday time to go there for the skiing.

John
Old September 21st 04, 04:15 PM
PG

"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Lyndon Barrie wrote:
|
| Hi.
| Planning a ski trip to Bulgaria as the prices are low!
| Has anyone any experience with the amount of snow? or quality of
| accomadation?
| any feedback appreciated on any other topics too.
|
| Thanks.
| Lyndon

Glynis who runs www.devonshirelodge.com in Bansko might be able to
advise you!

Pete
SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old September 21st 04, 05:52 PM
John Elgy

For a really in depth discussion see the message boards posted at
http://www.bulgariaski.com/cm_en.php...0in%20Bulgaria
and similar th eother Bulgarian resorts. It appears that views are quite
mixed.

John

Old October 5th 04, 12:00 PM
Abairsty

forget Bulgaria, poor snow, terrible piste maintenance, not a great deal of
terrain to ski. Why not try andorra?
Old October 5th 04, 04:22 PM
Enotrio Pallanzo

forget Bulgaria, poor snow, terrible piste maintenance, not a great deal
of
terrain to ski. Why not try andorra?

LOL

EP