S.W. Utah

Old August 7th 04, 01:36 PM
Aliant

Default S.W. Utah

After years and years of going to tradeshows in Vegas, some of which are in
January, I finally realized that S.W. Utah is very close. A heck of a lot
closer than going up to Royal Gorge (which I have done on occassion).

I've done a google on resorts in the region, and have some hits like Brian
Head. I'm looking for the group's recommendations for skiing in this area.
I don't think I want to go any further than the Cedar City region. What
about the National Parks? Do they groom and maintain trails? Is there a
nordic centre a bit closer than Brian Head?

thanks,
-Scott.

Old August 7th 04, 08:29 PM
sknyski

Maybe - but most of SW utah is probably way too low to hold snow.
I've been to Brian Head once, in the summer, and all I remember about
the place was the splitting headache and pathetically slow running
pace that was the result of being up at 9,000ft. Makes the Gorge feel
like sea level.

bt
Old August 8th 04, 04:14 PM
Aliant

.... and speaking of the Gorge, any idea if they have rebuilt the Wilderness
Lodge yet?

-Scott.

m...

Old August 8th 04, 11:14 PM
sknyski

No clue. Truckee Mark would probably know better than me. I did,
however talk to a few people up there who opined that it probably
wouldn't be done by this winter, because of the remoteness of the
location and the general unwillingness of local contractors to bust
their ass for the owner, who is considered a "charachter"

bt
Old August 9th 04, 02:16 PM
Chris Cline

Hi Scott-
The "southwesternest" corner of Utah (St. George area)
is where the entire state falls off the edge of the
Colorado Plateau, and is about 2,000 ft. lower than
the rest of the state. The St. George area is
actually the "northesasternest" corner of the Mojave
desert. So, bring your golf clubs year round.

As you go north towards Cedar City, you climb those
2,000 ft plus some. And then the mountains above
Cedar City (Brian Head, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon)
rise above that. As someone mentioned, Brian Head is
at almost (if not over) 10,000 ft.

There are years when it seems that most of our storm
systems either drop to the south, or come from the
south (relative to the Salt Lake City area). In those
years, the snowpack on the southern plateaus and
mountains can be very good. But it's pretty hit or
miss, which is why ski resorts like Brian Head (the
only one still in existance), Elk Mountain and Mt.
Holly (both gone), are not the "world class" resorts
you hear about.

The Brian Head area might be the only potential
candidate for skating, in a good snow year. But they
don't have a nordic center. Instead, you might find
some nice skating on some of the snowmobile roads that
are groomed up there. Probably the closest one (to
Las Vegas) that I can think of is the Navajo Lake
area, which is between Cedar City and Highway 89 to
the west (Orderville is I think the nearest town if
you're looking on a map). The Navajo Lake area is
basically on the top of the plateau, and there is a
lot of rolling terrain with forest service roads. I
think they groom one or two of the main roads for
snowmobiles. You might try googling "snowmobiling
southern Utah" to see what you get in terms of trail
info.

The very closest nordic center you will find to Las
Vegas is the Sundance outfit, about 40 minutes east of
Provo. Provo is only about 3.5 hrs from St. George--
maybe 5 total from Vegas?

contact me off list if you have other questions-
Chris Cline
SLC, Utah

http://mail.yahoo.com

Old August 9th 04, 03:48 PM
Bob

Hi Scott,
RG is having trouble with their insurance company over the fire. I don't
know what the issues are in the fight but I'm told they carried business
interruption stuff in addition to cost of the structure. They have plans for
the new one, including plumbing in every room (!). But until they reach an
agreement with the insurance co, nothing is happening. So, forget about
"wildy" for 04-05 season.

I just checked their web site http://www.royalgorge.com and don't see
anything about the fact that wildy is just a pile of masonry, now. In fact,
they still have the panoramic shots of the inside of the old one. There's
even an list of rates for the 04-05 season... But then, their web site never
has had timely info.

Bob

"Aliant" wrote in message
... and speaking of the Gorge, any idea if they have rebuilt the

Wilderness
Lodge yet?

-Scott.

m...

Old August 9th 04, 06:38 PM
dware

They are still dealing with insurance issues and will not be open at
wilderness lodge for at least another year. Royal Gorge is itself
still open, but the lodge is what makes it so special.

Dave

Old August 9th 04, 06:43 PM
sknyski

The very closest nordic center you will find to Las
Vegas is the Sundance outfit,

Sundance is one of the prettiest places I have ever skied.

bt
Old August 9th 04, 08:18 PM
Aliant

Oh, now there's an incentive. I will go waaaaaaaaayyyy out of my way for
scenery. That's why I started skiing all those years ago. Thanks for the
insight. I'm going to guess that going to Sundance and going to RG may be
about the same from Las Vegas.

-Scott.

om...