Newbie

Old December 25th 03, 06:27 AM
Christian

Default Newbie

Hello,

I moved to a country with snow and mountains and want to learn snowboarding.
Unfortunatly if you go to stores and don't know anything they usally try to
sell you the most expensive equipment they have and for somebody who has not
much experience a second hand board will probably do?
Now (unfortunatly), I am 2.5m/6.9 feet tall and have a shoe size of an
american 14 and read that the height of the board is not that importend but
widht is.
I would be great if I could get an oppinion on the measurements of a board
that would fit me.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Chris

Old December 25th 03, 03:45 PM
Christian

Thanks a lot that will help me.
Chris

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
news:slrnbul98s.4dv.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:27:37 -0500, Christian said (and I quote):

I moved to a country with snow and mountains and want to learn

snowboarding.
Unfortunatly if you go to stores and don't know anything they usally try

sell you the most expensive equipment they have and for somebody who has

not
much experience a second hand board will probably do?
Now (unfortunatly), I am 2.5m/6.9 feet tall

I hope you mean 2.05m, not 2.5m.

and have a shoe size of an
american 14 and read that the height of the board is not that importend

but
widht is.

No, the height is also important.

I would be great if I could get an oppinion on the measurements of a

board
that would fit me.

OK. You need a wide board, the widest you can get. You need this so
that your big feet don't hang over the edges too much (or at all).
The widest boards I've heard of are about 28cm wide at their
narrowest point. The only one I can think of off the top my head is
the Donek Sasquatch, which you can only buy over the web at
http://www.donek.com

There are many boards that are marketed as being "wide" that are
about 26cm. These will still be too narrow for you.

The height of the board is somewhat determined by your weight, and
because you are so tall you probably weigh a lot. This means you'll
need a longer board than normal. BUT, usually a shorter board is
easier to learn on. There's a trade-off there. If you're the
athletic type who thinks you'll learn quickly, get something long
(maybe 165 or longer), but if you think you'll be at the beginner
stage for a while, go for something a bit shorter than that
(160-165).

Those are some rough guidelines for buying a board. But don't spend
too much money on the board if you can help it. It might even be
best to buy a second-hand board. Spend your money on a good pair of
boots that fit you well. Don't economise on the boots! The most
important thing is fit! Everything else is secondary.

Once you've bought the boots you can then buy the bindings. Get
something that matches (ie, fits) your boots well.

Good luck!
--
A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Old December 25th 03, 03:45 PM
Christian

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
[...]

A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Old December 25th 03, 03:46 PM
Christian

Thanks
that will give me an idea on what to buy.
Chris

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
[...]

A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Newbie Question Will Snowboarding 3 December 11th 03 10:58 PM
Help for a newbie fanatic Savage Snowboarding 6 November 14th 03 01:59 PM