Skis

Old December 18th 03, 03:58 PM
Gary S.

Default Skis

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:45:17 GMT, "Geoff Jennings"
wrote:

Now I'm moving to Reno, I'm thinking about buying skis. New to Tele, but I
love it. (skied Alpine for years, pretty well)

Anyone have recommendations for skis for the 240# crowd. Pretty strong,
probably I'll end up skiing pretty aggressively. Initially it'll probably
be in the resort, till my skills grow a bit, but eventually I'll want to
upgrade. So recommendations? And does anyone know good sites for good
deals on gear?

Since you are new to tele, I would suggest renting the first few times
out, perhaps trying different gear.

Aggressive lift-served tele and backcountry skiing may call for
different gear. All skis are strong, but weight and style will
interact with the stiffness of the ski, which also varies with length.

Saving money on gear may be less important than getting fitted
properly. Going to a local shop for your first set of gear would be
well worth the tiny added cost. Buying technical or complex things
over the Net makes more sense for those with more experience with the
activity and equipment.

The newsgroup rec.skiing.backcountry would be more productive for this
question, and I have added it to followups to this message.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old December 18th 03, 04:10 PM
Geoff Jennings

Thanks. I mostly posted at rec.climbing because I know the people, know
there are some skiers here, and generally feel comfortable knowing who is
likely to spray crap they don't know about, but thanks for pointing me to
rec.skiing.backcountry, I for some reason hadn't seen that group when I
searched.

Geoff

Old December 18th 03, 04:12 PM
Geoff Jennings

So my other question would be...

Where can I rent Tele gear near big bear? (going there in two weeks with
friends) and where can I rent it near Reno? Good shop recommendations with
knowledgeable staff?

. ..

Old December 18th 03, 04:46 PM