Folding "shaped" climbing skins

Old December 10th 03, 12:53 AM
Scott Grothe

Default Folding "shaped" climbing skins

My "shaped" climbing skins are asymetrical...tips wider than the tails with
the waist not in the center of the skin length...probably the case for all
"shaped" skins. Putting one or two folds in the skins to carry one in each
pocket on the trail leaves a lot of glue exposed to pocket material, lint,
snow, etc. I assume over time the glue in this area will fail prematurely,
leak snow between the base and the skin and cause more failure of the glue.
I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier storage
in pockets if separate.

Is this an issue I should worry about? Any suggestions? Or should I just
fold each skin once or twice and forget about them?

Old December 10th 03, 06:13 AM
Hal Murray

[skins for shaped skis]

snow, etc. I assume over time the glue in this area will fail prematurely,
leak snow between the base and the skin and cause more failure of the glue.
I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier storage
in pockets if separate.

Is this an issue I should worry about? Any suggestions? Or should I just
fold each skin once or twice and forget about them?

Plastic bags?

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old December 10th 03, 10:02 AM
Ulrich Hausmann

Scott Grothe wrote:

My "shaped" climbing skins are asymetrical...tips wider than the tails with
the waist not in the center of the skin length...probably the case for all
"shaped" skins. Putting one or two folds in the skins to carry one in each
pocket on the trail leaves a lot of glue exposed to pocket material, lint,
snow, etc. I assume over time the glue in this area will fail prematurely,
leak snow between the base and the skin and cause more failure of the glue.
I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier storage
in pockets if separate.

Is this an issue I should worry about? Any suggestions? Or should I just
fold each skin once or twice and forget about them?

Why not one skin on to the other? Or am i getting something wrong here?

Greetings,

Ulrich
--
reply to: uhausmannATbluemailDOTch
Old December 10th 03, 11:41 AM
Martin Thornquist

[ Ulrich Hausmann ]

Why not one skin on to the other? Or am i getting something wrong here?

You're missing this:

Scott Grothe wrote:

I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier storage
in pockets if separate.

I'd say it's a valid concern, though I mostly carry shovel, probe and
wind sack in a backpack when using skins, and so put the skins there
too. My skins fold pretty good in halvf, but then my skis (Salomon
Teneighty) are more symmetrical than many other, and my skins aren't
quite as wide as the skis' tips.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old December 10th 03, 01:10 PM
Ulrich Hausmann

[ Ulrich Hausmann ]

Scott Grothe wrote:

I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier storage
in pockets if separate.

So, sorry!

I'd say it's a valid concern, though I mostly carry shovel, probe and
wind sack in a backpack when using skins, and so put the skins there
too. My skins fold pretty good in halvf, but then my skis (Salomon
Teneighty) are more symmetrical than many other, and my skins aren't
quite as wide as the skis' tips.

I've 2 skins, a shaped one (for the old Stormrider) and a straight one.
IMHO you're skinning fine even though the edges and parts of the surface
aren't covered well. When/if you're starting to slide (with that setup),
in my experience and for my taste it's time to attach crampons ...

Greetings,

Ulrich

--
reply to: uhausmannATbluemailDOTch
Old December 10th 03, 01:52 PM
Dingus Milktoast

"Scott Grothe" wrote in message
ink.net...
My "shaped" climbing skins are asymetrical...tips wider than the tails

with
the waist not in the center of the skin length...probably the case for all
"shaped" skins. Putting one or two folds in the skins to carry one in

each
pocket on the trail leaves a lot of glue exposed to pocket material, lint,
snow, etc. I assume over time the glue in this area will fail

prematurely,
leak snow between the base and the skin and cause more failure of the

glue.
I don't want to stick the skins to each other on the trail...easier

storage
in pockets if separate.

Is this an issue I should worry about? Any suggestions? Or should I just
fold each skin once or twice and forget about them?

Dude, try this:

Fold a single shaped skin back on itself (not to the other skin). Start with
the tail. Match the tail width up with the same width on the shovel section,
as far toward the center of the skin as possible. Then just fold the tip
back over on itself (8 to 10 inches).

You don't try to stick the shovel section to anything on the tail section,
cuz like you said, its too wide. So you match it against itself. You'll
still have some peek over but in my experience if you store the skins in a
nylon bag, such as the one they come with, won't be too much of an issue.

Cheers
DMT

Old December 11th 03, 02:50 AM
Scott Grothe

Dingus Milktoast wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I thought about that one myself. Tried it, but the skin's rubber tail
strap prevents the doubling over of that 10 inches. I'll probably just
slap a piece of plastic on this last bit-o-skin and call it good for the
pockets.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Old December 11th 03, 02:29 PM
Dingus Milktoast

"Scott Grothe" wrote

Yeah, I thought about that one myself. Tried it, but the skin's rubber

tail
strap prevents the doubling over of that 10 inches. I'll probably just
slap a piece of plastic on this last bit-o-skin and call it good for the
pockets.

Tail strap? I use the Ascension skins with the rubber thingie on the tails.
I fail to see how that prevents anything. I just lift it up and lay the
front part of the skin down and the rubber thingie flops back down on top. I
honestly don't see the problem here, but I'm glad you found a solution that
works for you.

DMT

Old December 12th 03, 06:28 PM
David Eyre

"Scott Grothe" wrote in message link.net...
My "shaped" climbing skins are asymetrical...

Is this an issue I should worry about?

No, its not a problem. Just fold them the way you fold a straight skin.

David