Technique Comparisons: Nordic Combined & You

Old November 3rd 03, 03:13 PM
Dell Todd

Default Technique Comparisons: Nordic Combined & You

We all try to emulate the creme de la creme. Watching videos of Bjorn
Daehlie, Ulvang, Alsgaard, etc. This is probably a good thing, just to
know where we should be headed. However, most runners don't break down
the technique of the Kenyans & try to run like them ! Most runners
realize that these athletes are really on a higher plane, and have
such capabilities that make it very difficult for the citizen athletes
to emulate stride, pace, even workouts to some degree. We learn what
we can from the Kenyans, but mostly we can't relate to a stride like
that. Not without a frame like theirs. And genes. And talent. And...

Is skiing different ? Can guy who trains only 450 hours per year,
works fulltime & has a family, and has no Olympics in his resume
emulate a guy who has been to the Games & WC, has no kids & his job is
to ski, and he trains 800 hours per year, as he has since he was 17 ?
Frankly after the Aalberg clinic, none of us will ever look like John
Aalberg, but some of us are a lot closer.

I like to look at videos of the Nordic Combined & the Biathlon skiers.
These skiers are actually teaching me more about where I should take
my skiing. I have no idea how much time Johnny Spillane gives up to
Carl Swenson on a SoHo 10k on snow skis, but I can see myself more in
Spillane & Lodwick. Sure, I want to be Kris Freeman too. I also want
to be Tiger Woods. But I will have to go Hindu & be reincarnated in
order to do so. It isn't going to happen in this lifetime. I will
never have the power that a Swenson or a Freeman or an Aalberg have in
their kicks. When I see the Combined skiers stroking a V2, they look
like they are developing less max power than the Nordic Teamers but
they look smooth & fast. I think I can do smoother & fast, in due
time.

I also notice that Freeman likes Ole Einar Bjorndaelen. I do too. I
realize he is a past champ on the Nordic circuit, but he is one SMOOTH
Biathlete. Poetic to watch. Does not appear to be making much power,
and yet, he is smokin'.
Old November 3rd 03, 04:33 PM
Jeff Potter

It seems like the best skiers, and our role models, and those we want to
look like, are mostly the SMOOTHEST and easiest and most relaxed skiers.
They look like they're not working.

When I see guys even on the local circuit who I want to ski like it's
because they're smooth and easy as well.

When I see the frothing, attacking hammerheads, maybe their fitness would
be cool to have but there's nothing about their skiing that I'm after or
want to imitate.

So maybe there's more to this skiing perfectly stuff than I tend to
think. Maybe I should spend more time going slow---maybe I should at
least start out every workout going way slow. Maybe I should spend more
time doing balance and relaxation drills. Well, I think I'll start out
workouts this way from now on.

When I've gone faster in the past I know that I use what appears to
others to be an easy style. And I know that as I dial in my technique on
snow and in races that my main goal is to find a stable platform to rest
off of as I ski. So relaxation and the stability that lets us relax is
already a big part of my skiing. I need to add it better to my training.

--

Jeff Potter
****