Pulk or Pack

Old December 3rd 05, 12:35 PM

Default Pulk or Pack

I am considering using a pulk sled for my next trip. In searching the
information highway, I've found comments varying from:

A sled is the only way to go.
I went on a trip with a guy with a sled. He bonked, vomited, and ended up
leaving the sled on the trail.

On all of my previous backcountry ski trips, my friends and I have always
carried everything on our backs. Here is the type of trip during which I am
considering using a sled instead of a big backpack:

a. Colorado 10th Mountain Hut system
b. Trips into some of the easier huts to reach, less steep and less distance
c. Spending several nights at the same hut and returning, no hut-to-hut
skiing
d. Relatively heavy load, perhaps 50 to 80 pounds (traveling with spouse
with neck/back problems precluding her from carrying all of her own gear, me
sort of acting as guide to several less experienced people so that I'll be
carrying more of the safety/emergency gear, desire to haul the weight of
fresh food, wine, etc.)

I have read that if it is clear that the trip will involve breaking trail in
fresh, deep, soft snow, then it is best to leave the sled at home. Of
course, this is not always predictable and sometimes one can end up breaking
trail in deep snow in bad weather when it was not anticipated.

I considering buying the pulk sled made by Granite Gear.

Any comments, suggestions?

BobT

Old December 3rd 05, 04:28 PM

BobT wrote:
[...]

My info tells me that a pulk is the way to go.
They are also easy to make. For good information
go here
http://www.skipulk.com/
VtSkier
Old December 5th 05, 06:00 AM

BobT wrote:
I considering buying the pulk sled made by Granite Gear.

From what I have heard, they have stopped making them.

VtSkier wrote:
My info tells me that a pulk is the way to go.

I've only used them a couple times with skis but it was nice both
times. One time was with a foot of powder on an easy slope and it didn't
pull hard at all. The other trip was spring snow with me breaking
through about 6 inches. The spring trip was off trail through the Vail
type woods and the sled seemed to actual help me make turns on the way down.
I also used them on my trip to Jellystone last year with snowshoes
and loved them.

They are also easy to make. For good information
go here
http://www.skipulk.com/

I tried a Xmart sled with that pole system and the sled started
tearing after a couple of trips with snowshoes. The Paris sled on that
page is much stronger. It looks to be bomb proof and is made of
polypropylene instead of fiber glass. I've heard that after they get
scratched up, the poly slides better than the fiberglass.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old December 5th 05, 08:31 PM

"Ed Huesers" wrote in message
BobT wrote:
I considering buying the pulk sled made by Granite Gear.

From what I have heard, they have stopped making them.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Thanks Ed,

Despite Eds Bouffard's web page stating, "Rumors indicate that it is limited
to available stock and that the pulk will no longer be made.", that is not
exactly the case. I spoke with Granite Gear customer service today. They
still make the expedition pulk sled in limited quantities. The made a small
fall production run and all of these pulks are spoken for. They are
considering making a few more in February.

BobT

Old December 6th 05, 12:56 AM

BobT wrote:
I considering buying the pulk sled made by Granite Gear.

Ed Huesers wrote:
From what I have heard, they have stopped making them.

BobT wrote:
Despite Eds Bouffard's web page stating, "Rumors indicate that it is limited
to available stock and that the pulk will no longer be made.", that is not
exactly the case.

Thanks Bob, I'll be sure to pass it on. It wouldn't be good to get a
rumor like that going.

I spoke with Granite Gear customer service today.

I've met and talked to the fellas from Granite gear at the show I go
to in Mpls and they're a good bunch.

They still make the expedition pulk sled in limited quantities. The made a small
fall production run and all of these pulks are spoken for. They are
considering making a few more in February.

They've been around a long time. Although I've never used a high end
pulk, I'd guess their's to be one of the better ones.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com