Paycheck

Old December 22nd 03, 06:41 AM
Dingus Milktoast

Default Paycheck

So I was gonna go skiing this morning, but when the alarm went off at 4 am I
just turned it off, reassuring myself that the promised snow had not fallen.
Later, I checked the snowcast and saw that as much as 5 inches had fallen.
Not enough to get excited about, but not so little that you'd turn your nose
at it, know what I mean?

So I didn't even decide to leave until 9. A call to Angus left the options
door open, I had my bouldering shoes and my skis. Either would work today.
Californication. Angus told me to f-off.... er, I mean he suggested skiing
was the better option.

I had to scruff around and stop 3 times before I scored a Sno Park pass at
Kays Resort. I got to the parking area at Carson Pass at noon, way too late
to start a tour. I decided to do tele today, lugging the Mountain Surfs
along as a good luck charm.

So I did anyway. I figgered I could just skin up 500' feet or so and see
what gives. My skins started balling up pretty badly and I got demoralized.
I keep forgetting to buy skin wax. Then I got a brilliant idea and smeared
the last of my sunblock on the skins. It worked! They didn't stick once
after that.

Reenergized I did the hard push to the summit. I was really hoping for
powder down in the north bowls so I traversed below the summit bocks. The
deep chutes down the north side were spectacular! Pristine, brilliant powder
lurked on fantastically steep slopes, firmly anchored to the ground beneath.
I linked golden turn after golden turn.

I did one solitary faceplant and bent my thumb back pretty bad in the
process, when I broke through slush on a shoulder then stopped dead on a
rock beneath. That sucks.

Down at the highway it took a while to thumb a ride. An unbelievable number
or cars and trucks passed me by. Must be my scruffy looks. Finally a dude
with a camper shell stopped. When I put my gear in the back I took note of
his telly gear. Same poles as mine too.

Turned out he'd left his snowboard at Kirkwood, in the snowbank where he
parked. He gave me a ride to earn karma points. I hoped he doubled up!

It was a great run, spur of the moment. Very steep powder shots on a
protected north face. I could see way out over the Pine Nut Range in Nevada
and clear down to the Swee****ers. Tahoe flitted into and out of view behind
puffy clouds. A legendary day. Made all those training days, the hundreds of
falls and the dozen upon dozens of grudge runs, somehow worth it. This is
where I'd wanted to be all along. It all came to a head today and I cruised
where once I would have flailed.

Cheers
DMT