A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Getting all clogged up on a downhill

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 8th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Getting all clogged up on a downhill

Where I rollerski, there’s this long downhill after this same uphill (not too steep; on good days, I manage to V-2 up most of it). After coming down, I often find it difficult to go up the next hill (again, not terribly steep) even though I’ve tackled a pretty difficult climb just minutes before.. The breathing is off and the legs are wooden. Trying to accelerate in V-2 on the flat before the climb (which actually feels OK, probably because I'm not flexing the muscles too much at that point) doesn't seem to help. It almost makes me wish I didn't have this forced rest on the downhill. Takes a few minutes and a few hundred feet up the hill to get back to normal. I suspect it’s acid accumulating in the muscles, though I don’t feel the characteristic burn when climbing before that downhill – I guess these climbs are not long enough for that. Could it be that my static posture on downhill (for fear of falling) causes the acid to accumulate? How then to use downhills for recovery without getting all clogged up?

Thanks!