Engelberg - snow still amazingly good

Old April 16th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Engelberg - snow still amazingly good

As per subject, conditions in Engelberg this weekend were amazing.

Saturday morning didn't auger well for me, waking up with a hangover
and much pain from my still-not-100% mended back as well as the
haematoma on the left elbow and aching right shoulder sustained the
previous weekend in a chairlift incident, so I really wasn't looking
forward to the day, but the sun was shining, and I'd promised, so let
the OH drive me to Engelberg while I caught up on my sleep in the car.

Arrived around 10:15, so were up the mountain and sitting on a
chairlift aroubd 10:45, looking at largely empty pristine pisted
slopes. One of the main runs dwon from Stand wasn't yet open,
presumably as it was still rock solid from freezing overnight, but the
rest were all open, although I must confess I didn't expect much from
them except for boilerplate and sheet ice.

How wrong could I be? Sure, they'd frozen overnight, but even though
they're north facing they must have had just enough sun to soften the
surface, and they were great. We skiied a few runs over that way,
briefly trying the off-piste (still much too hard) before heading over
Trubsee to the Jochpass area. This was, probably just as a function of
being later in the day, even better, with still barely a soul around,
such that much high-speed radical carving was the order of the day.
Great fun.

A bit later, we went up the Jochstock lift and tested the off-piste at
the top, but with my various aches and pains decided it was still a
bit too hard and not worth the risk, so we cruised down again, then
trotted back across the Trubsee and up to the top of Titlis, where the
glacier runs were just superb. Again, not many people around, so
several carvy blasts were undertaken, before heading down the black,
thence down to Trubsee and the cablecar down to the village (the run
down had been open the previous weekend, but the sun had finally done
for it - the village is at only 1000m, after all).

Sunday was something of a repeat, the only variation being that the
softening effect seemed to be happening about an hour or two earlier,
which opened up some of the off-piste areas with some glorious, though
occasionally heavy, spring snow. I'm afraid I couldn't resist the
temptation to show off in front of the chairlift occupants and show
them what Freeride really means;-)

Again we finished early, this time around three, and headed off home
very happy. So, once again, a great end to the season. Of course, we
_could_ go again next weekend, but frankly I'm not sure my body can
take it :-}

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)