bX "high end" board

Old January 11th 04, 08:50 PM
Chiono

Default bX "high end" board

Hi everybody!
I am a newbie of this newsgroup, and i have some questions about bX boards.
I am italian, so my english could not be perfect... seal your ears Oxford
people, OK?

I want to buy a bX board, no matter how expensive, but good and reliable.

i wanna do bX, so it doesn't matter if i can't go riding park or jumps.

i've got some ideas about some boards, but i would know your opinion, too.

Burton
Dragon: very stiff but also good pop: allround, but not specific for bX
T6: the best bX burton board; i tried this board and i found it superb,
something like the glorious Johan 163 but a bit lighter

Nitro
Shogun: very good for me; stiff but not as extreme as the F2 Eliminator; too
soft for high-end bX?
Naturals: the board i like most; it has got the right balance (towards bX,
of course) i am looking for
Supra Team: i found it very similar to the Shogun; what do you think about
it?

F2
Eliminator; the natural born bX board; stiff as hell, very difficult to
ride... long radius carve turns and striking control at high speed...
Eliminator LTD: the LTD version is even stiffer then the base version;
extreme board, how can a people land in a bX jump using such a monster?

My favourite are the Natural and the Eliminator LTD (that has got a very
cool graphic in the 2002 version ahaha ) ).

I prefer to buy a 63,38 inches (161 cm) board, although i am 6 feet tall
(182 cm) and my weight is about 250 pounds (82 kg).
Do you think i need a 64,17 inches feet (163 cm)?

Thank you very much for every advice/insult )

Keep on riding!

Old January 11th 04, 09:29 PM
Mike T

Hi everybody!
I am a newbie of this newsgroup, and i have some questions about bX

boards.
I am italian, so my english could not be perfect... seal your ears

Oxford
people, OK?

I want to buy a bX board, no matter how expensive, but good and

reliable.

i wanna do bX, so it doesn't matter if i can't go riding park or

jumps.

i've got some ideas about some boards, but i would know your opinion,

too.

I don't compete in BX but I enjoy running a course when I can, and I
like the way BX -type boards ride for freeriding. BX boards typically
have a large sidecut radius (in other words, a mellow sidecut) so that
you can hide hard, on edge, without having the tendency to turn off the
course. They are typically stiff enough to remain stable at high
speeds. They should have enough pop to double-jump a series of rollers
if you're going really fast, but not too much pop, you want them damp to
hold an edge.

Burton
Dragon: very stiff but also good pop: allround, but not specific for

bX
T6: the best bX burton board; i tried this board and i found it

superb,
something like the glorious Johan 163 but a bit lighter

The Dragon is a halfpipe board, too tight a sidecut and probablt too
much pop. The T6 might also have too much sidecut.

Nitro
Shogun: very good for me; stiff but not as extreme as the F2

Eliminator; too
soft for high-end bX?
Naturals: the board i like most; it has got the right balance (towards

bX,
of course) i am looking for
Supra Team: i found it very similar to the Shogun; what do you think

about
it?

I don't know anything about these particular models...

F2
Eliminator; the natural born bX board; stiff as hell, very difficult

ride... long radius carve turns and striking control at high speed...
Eliminator LTD: the LTD version is even stiffer then the base version;
extreme board, how can a people land in a bX jump using such a

monster?

I've heard really good things about the eliminator and Eliminator LTD.
If they were available in the US I would try to demo one!

In any case, not sure why landing jumps on a stiff board should be a
problem. I take jumps on my Donek Axis 172 with hard boots and
landings are incredibly stable.

My favourite are the Natural and the Eliminator LTD (that has got a

very
cool graphic in the 2002 version ahaha ) ).

Some other ideas: If you can find one (they don't make them anymore),
the Salomon FRS. I have the 165 - here's a pic:
http://www.tovino.com/frs/topsheet.JPG It's amazing on groomed runs
and I have run it through a BX coarse at Mt Hood. I found it too stiff
to take off-piste in soft boots though... although I did ride it in hard
boots. Unfortunately mine is pretty much trashed.

The Voelkl Cross - I don't think they make it anymore - and I've never
seen one with my own eyes - but I've seen it discussed as favorably as
the Salomon FRS.

You might look at www.blue-tomoato.at for Voelkl.

The larger Donek Inclines (164 and 168) might work well for BX as well.

I prefer to buy a 63,38 inches (161 cm) board, although i am 6 feet

tall
(182 cm) and my weight is about 250 pounds (82 kg).
Do you think i need a 64,17 inches feet (163 cm)?

For racing BX you might want to go a bit longer - depending on the model
of course, and how skilled a rider you are... you want as much stability
as you can get!

Mike T

Old January 12th 04, 08:48 AM
Jason Watkins

The Voelkl Cross - I don't think they make it anymore - and I've never
seen one with my own eyes - but I've seen it discussed as favorably as
the Salomon FRS.

I've been told the Cross is the best BX board made to date, by someone
who's opinion I'd put a good amount of faith in. Unfortunately, it's
replacement, the Downhell aparently isn't so good.

Rad Air makes the Project LSD. I've never ridden it, but the 164 comes
with a 10.5 meter sidecut that should be ideal for BX.
Old January 12th 04, 03:34 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Chiono wrote:

I prefer to buy a 63,38 inches (161 cm) board, although i am 6 feet tall
(182 cm) and my weight is about 250 pounds (82 kg).
Do you think i need a 64,17 inches feet (163 cm)?

If you are 82 kg and 182 cm, you are 180 lbs and a little under 6 feet tall.

In addition to the other boards mentioned here, consider the Prior Men's
Freeride (MFR). Prior also used to make a very highly-regarded
BX-specific board, if you contact Chris Prior I'm sure he could dust off
the molds and build one for you that exactly suits your requirements.

Neil

Fakie board recommendation Skitzo Snowboarding 9 May 13th 04 11:03 PM
Donek Wide too "fast" a board for me? Johnny1 Snowboarding 18 December 6th 03 07:19 AM
Board sizing... Brett Snowboarding 1 October 19th 03 11:07 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
weight of board on life hurts knee Baretta Snowboarding 1 August 21st 03 11:54 PM