Mixing it up with the high schoolers

Old January 14th 04, 07:26 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default Mixing it up with the high schoolers

With no snow around here, I went out to Trollhaugen (WI) yesterday.
Before leaving, I knew that the HS kids would pack the place as normal
(and my wife said the Roseville bus had just left for Troll). Usually
they're done racing about 5-5:30 (and leave about 6) and I arrive
about 5:30. If I start later, I don't get home until 10 pm with the
hour drive. Last night they seemed to go a little longer than normal.

High HR Day
-----------
Yesterday was a high HR workout day for me, so I did a couple warm up
laps, did two laps (about 2.2 km each) fairly hard, stripped off the
warmups and did 4 laps hard. I wanted to go hard dp'ing, to work my
back, but the climbing then really drove the HR up there. Swix extra
blue was both kicking well and gliding well. You feel pretty
bullet-proof when that happens.

So last night, the racing was going on later than normal and some
parents were out there. They actually had signs up for the
start/finish, so I'm guessing this was a section meet. Basically I was
doing my classic workout while the kids were doing their 2 lap classic
racing. (Unintended overlap.) I stayed out of their way, and when I
saw kids pick up the pace (because I was gaining on them), I'd say,
"I'm not racing you." Good workout. Hardest workout of the year.

Krenz and the Boys
Tommy Krenz lives next to Trollhaugen, so he's out there almost every
night. He arrived about the time I was cooling down. Once the HS
skiers left, the place was almost empty (kind of weird), except for 20
guys doing intervals with Tommy. They were doing a short lap, then a
full lap ending on at the top for about a 3 km interval. When I left,
they were still doing intervals...probably their 4th or 5th. Dan Meyer
said, "Evertime I see him, he's skiing hard." I can vouch that Tom
wasn't going slow.

Jay Wenner