Breckenridge or Killington, end Jan?

Old October 17th 03, 11:24 AM
Steve Pardoe

Default Breckenridge or Killington, end Jan?

Hi, all,

We've coming from (old) England, last week of January '04, with a
three-generation party (two 50+ grandparents, 30+ daughter, and 9yr
grand-daughter who's a complete beginner) and we'd prefer self-catering
accommodation, but catalogue choice seems a bit limited.

Breckenridge & Killington both have what we're looking for, and apparently
reliable snow (it's a bit early for most European resorts). We've also read
that the kids' tuition is good in USA, so it seems worth crossing the pond
for. We'll be mainly skiing rather than boardriding, BTW.

Question is, does Breckenridge offer enough advantage over Killington to
offset the longer journey? What's the weather like, esp considering a 9yr
old? Or are there better alternatives anyway?

Thanks for any pros & cons,

Steve Pardoe
www.pardoes.com

Old October 17th 03, 02:06 PM
Dave Stallard

Steve Pardoe wrote:

Hi, all,

We've coming from (old) England, last week of January '04, with a
three-generation party (two 50+ grandparents, 30+ daughter, and 9yr
grand-daughter who's a complete beginner) and we'd prefer self-catering
accommodation, but catalogue choice seems a bit limited.

Breckenridge & Killington both have what we're looking for, and apparently
reliable snow (it's a bit early for most European resorts). We've also read
that the kids' tuition is good in USA, so it seems worth crossing the pond
for. We'll be mainly skiing rather than boardriding, BTW.

Question is, does Breckenridge offer enough advantage over Killington to
offset the longer journey? What's the weather like, esp considering a 9yr
old? Or are there better alternatives anyway?

This is kind of a funny juxtaposition of resorts, but I've been to both,
so I'll give it a try.

Breckenridge will have lots of advantages over Killington. More
terrain, better snow, more than likely less cold, than Killington. It
also is located in a town that is more or less walkable, and which
(while not my favorite Colorado ski town) is a pretty reasonable place
to spend time. There are free shuttle buses to the mountain of
Breckenridge. For Killington you will need a car to get around, and
lodging and dining options are less extensive.

Another advantage of Breck is that it is in Summit County, and has
Copper, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin as resorts nearby. I believe
Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin are on a common lift ticket, which really
expands your skiing choice.

The only downsides of Breck are that it will be more expensive, and it
is at high altitude: 9,600 ft at the base. So you will have to be
careful to acclimate and take it easy the first day.

I can't really comment on the kid-care aspects of things; perhaps others
can do that.

Dave
Old October 17th 03, 02:11 PM
Robert Scott

Steve,
I would go to Breckenridge. Killington is going to be more crowded and a lot
colder probably. The higher humididty makes it colder!! Colorado is a dry
cold. You don't feel it as bad.
The skiing in Breck is better. NO ICE to worry about and that is tough. The
slopes are wider and longer. If you tire of Breck after a few days you are
very close to Copper Mt, Keystone, and A-Basin.
The town of Breck is much nicer. Killington is quaint but spread out and you
have to drive by car to go anywhere.
The longer trip is well worth it. Killington can be hard to get to unless
you are flying to Vermont.
You will ALL enjoy Breck better.
Good luck,
Rob

Old October 17th 03, 02:21 PM
Chester Bullock

Expand your options a bit and stay elsewhere in Summit County, like
Frisco or Silverthorne. That will save you a lot of money. You will
also be more centrally located to Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, Copper
Mountain, Keystone, Loveland and Vail. You can ski Keystone, A-Basin
and Breckenridge on one ticket, and free buses run to all of them, and
Copper Mountain. The main transfer station for these buses is in
Frisco. Much more convenient than dealing with the parking.

Ski Rental Info: http://www.abskisport.com
Discount Lift Tickets: http://www.abskisport.com
Lodging Options: http://www.lodgingsale.com

You might also consider Winter Park. Brian Lence, a Brit working in
Winter Park, can help you determine if Winter Park is a good option for
you. His email is - tell him Chester sent you.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old October 17th 03, 02:39 PM
Dave Stallard

Chester Bullock wrote:

Expand your options a bit and stay elsewhere in Summit County, like
Frisco or Silverthorne. That will save you a lot of money. You will
also be more centrally located to Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, Copper
Mountain, Keystone, Loveland and Vail. You can ski Keystone, A-Basin
and Breckenridge on one ticket, and free buses run to all of them, and
Copper Mountain. The main transfer station for these buses is in
Frisco. Much more convenient than dealing with the parking.

Yeah, but what kind of places are Frisco or Silverthorne? Do they have
bars, restaurants, etc., in walking distance? I don't know, but I'd bet
not. One thing I hate like hell is to have take a shuttle bus ride back
to the hotel after skiing, clean up and change, and then take *another*
shuttle bus ride back to the nightlife area. That totally sucks.
Staying in West Vail is like that.

Dave
Old October 17th 03, 03:04 PM
Chester Bullock

Dave Stallard wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

[...]

Silverthorne not so much, but Frisco definitely has good food and
drinking within walking distance. For the savings vs. staying in Breck
(unless you are on Mikeys floor), it is well worth it.

Old October 17th 03, 03:17 PM
Steve Pardoe

Hi, Chester, and all, for the various and helpful replies, and...

In particular...

Chester Bullock wrote in message
snip
You might also consider Winter Park.

Indeed, but in the catalogues we looked at, Winter Park didn't have any
condos as part of a package. Otherwise looks brilliant.

Brian Lence, a Brit working in
Winter Park, can help you determine if Winter Park is a good option for
you. His email is - tell him Chester sent you.

That's good of you, thanks.

Steve

Old October 18th 03, 12:49 AM
Richard Walsh

Joe wrote in
:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:11:33 -0400, "Robert Scott"
wrote:

The town of Breck is much nicer. Killington is quaint but spread out
and you have to drive by car to go anywhere.

A car is convenient BUT not necessary, There is a free Shuttle bus
that runs the length of the Access Rd all day and most of the night
and has stops at many of the Inns and Condos off the access road.
Most of the condos and inns also have there own shuttles. There is
also Taxi services on the mountain. I always drive to Killington, but
once there seldom use the car.

The longer trip is well worth it. Killington can be hard to get to
unless you are flying to Vermont.
You will ALL enjoy Breck better.
Good luck,
Rob

I don't know where you got the "flying to Vermont" or "Hard to get to"
from. I have met hundreds of Brits over the years at Killington and
not 1 got there that way. I don't even believe that Rutland Airport
services international flights.The usual gateway is Boston, MA. It's
less then a 3 hour drive from there to Killington with most of it on
Interstate Highways(I91 & I89). Rental cars are often included in the
UK to Boston flights and there is also bus service.

No, no, no. Avoid Logan (Boston) like the plague.

First choice (no kidding) Manchester, NH. An easy
ride up I-89 and Rte 4 to Killington 2 hours.

Second, Hartford (Bradley Field) CT, Up I-91, 89 and
route 4, 2 1/2 hours.

Third, Maybe Albany, maybe Burlington, both in the
3 hour range, Better road from Burlington, I-89,
Vt 107 and 100 directly to Killington Road.

Albany would have a little of the Northway,
NY 149, US 4 to Killington.

Actually Boston is closer to 3.5 hours and you
have to pass Manchester, NH to get here, AND you
have to contend with driving out of Logan.

Oh, sorry, you are coming from the UK, but you
might be able to book direct with one plane change
to any of the other closer airports.

We went to Madrid last April from Syracuse, NY,
hardly a huge metropolis. Our flight took us through
Philadelphia and was most pleasant.

RW
---
Joe
REMOVE "Adds" before e-mailing

Old October 18th 03, 04:43 AM
Richard Henry

"Richard Walsh" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Third, Maybe Albany, maybe Burlington, both in the
3 hour range, Better road from Burlington, I-89,
Vt 107 and 100 directly to Killington Road.

I have found Albany to be a lot cheaper than Burlington.

Old October 18th 03, 10:22 PM
TCS

FWIW, the children's ski school at Breck is excellent.

And with that size party, I would stay in the town of Breckenridge.

My opinions.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 10 days!