Bit off-topic question about ski's

Old November 13th 03, 06:22 AM
Marinus

Default Bit off-topic question about ski's

What length of carve ski's should I use?
I can buy a pair of Atomic C 9:18 with a length of 180 cm.
My own length is just a little bit below the 180 cm and I
weigh about 95 Kg.
Are these the right ski's for me?

Kind regards,

Marinus

Old November 13th 03, 07:55 AM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:22:16 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

What length of carve ski's should I use?
I can buy a pair of Atomic C 9:18 with a length of 180 cm.
My own length is just a little bit below the 180 cm and I
weigh about 95 Kg.
Are these the right ski's for me?

You mean, are they the right length? Well, you don't say what level or
type of skier you are, but it's unlikely that you'd need them this
long. My current skis [1] are 186 bandit XXs, which even given my
height (188) and the aggressive nature of my skiing on- I couldn't
_really_ say I need. Before buying them I demoed the 180 length and
was quite happy with it.

So why did I go for the longer one? Not sure really, but I guess there
was still a bit of macho 'longer is better' nonsense in my head at the
time :-} I'll be buying shorter next time.

[1] Note to self: This'll be their third season - must be able to
justify some new ones then :-)
--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 13th 03, 08:09 AM
Paul Schofield

"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:22:16 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

....snipsy...

[1] Note to self: This'll be their third season - must be able to
justify some new ones then :-)

Note to Ace - buy some in Andorra - no VAT

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old November 13th 03, 08:16 AM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:09:25 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:22:16 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

...snipsy...

[1] Note to self: This'll be their third season - must be able to
justify some new ones then :-)

Note to Ace - buy some in Andorra - no VAT

Oddly enough, the thought had occurred to me...

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 13th 03, 09:20 AM
Marinus

You mean, are they the right length? Well, you don't say what level or
type of skier you are, but it's unlikely that you'd need them this

The last time I skied was about 5 years ago, it was then the third time I
skied. I would consider my self as an advanced beginner. I can take the red
slopes safely, but I prefer the blue ones. Never off-piste and speedskiing
is not my game. Not agressive, more smoothly.

long. My current skis [1] are 186 bandit XXs, which even given my
height (188) and the aggressive nature of my skiing on- I couldn't
_really_ say I need. Before buying them I demoed the 180 length and
was quite happy with it.

So you think I shoulnd't but the 180? Well to be completely honest, I
already imagined that they would be too long, but it's a great bargin.

Kind regards,

Marinus

Old November 13th 03, 09:33 AM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:20:05 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

Atomic 9.18

You mean, are they the right length? Well, you don't say what level or
type of skier you are, but it's unlikely that you'd need them this

The last time I skied was about 5 years ago, it was then the third time I
skied. I would consider my self as an advanced beginner. I can take the red
slopes safely, but I prefer the blue ones. Never off-piste and speedskiing
is not my game. Not agressive, more smoothly.

So you think I shoulnd't but the 180? Well to be completely honest, I
already imagined that they would be too long, but it's a great bargin.

I might suggest that both the ski itself and its length are less than
ideal for what you describe. Bargain or no, you may still pay less if
you buy a mid-range ski in the appropriate length, and it should be
much easier for you to ski properly too.

OTOH you may be better off just renting for this season, perhaps
trying various skis/lengths to see for yourself what the differences
are.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 13th 03, 10:02 AM
Ian Spare

wrote:

You mean, are they the right length? Well, you don't say what level or
type of skier you are, but it's unlikely that you'd need them this

The last time I skied was about 5 years ago, it was then the third time I
skied. I would consider my self as an advanced beginner. I can take the red
slopes safely, but I prefer the blue ones. Never off-piste and speedskiing
is not my game. Not agressive, more smoothly.

long. My current skis [1] are 186 bandit XXs, which even given my
height (188) and the aggressive nature of my skiing on- I couldn't
_really_ say I need. Before buying them I demoed the 180 length and
was quite happy with it.

So you think I shoulnd't but the 180? Well to be completely honest, I
already imagined that they would be too long, but it's a great bargin.

That's way too long from what you say. How much was a great bargain
though? I've a pair of Atomic betacarvs at 170 I paid 100euro for,
that sort of proce isn't so unusual around the Alpes. The full list
price for own brand skis in Decathlon's pretty reasonable as well.

Which reminds me, anyone know who makes the Decathlon/Quecha skis for
them ?

Ian

Old November 13th 03, 10:08 AM
Marinus

That's way too long from what you say. How much was a great bargain
though? I've a pair of Atomic betacarvs at 170 I paid 100euro for,
that sort of proce isn't so unusual around the Alpes. The full list
price for own brand skis in Decathlon's pretty reasonable as well.

There at this moment at 60Euro's at a Dutch auction site...
Renting beta carve's will cost me about 100 Euro's in Serfaus. Where did you
pay the 100 Euro's? Normal ski-shop?

Kind regards,

Marinus

Old November 13th 03, 10:11 AM
Marinus

I might suggest that both the ski itself and its length are less than
ideal for what you describe. Bargain or no, you may still pay less if
you buy a mid-range ski in the appropriate length, and it should be
much easier for you to ski properly too.

I agree with you about the lenght, but I thought that the 9:18 was (is) also
a good beginne ski?

OTOH you may be better off just renting for this season, perhaps
trying various skis/lengths to see for yourself what the differences
are.

Yes, good suggestion, trying different ski's. (is it "ski's" or "skis" in
English?)
But on the other hand renting will cost met at least a 100 Euro's...

Kind regards,

Marinus

Old November 13th 03, 10:22 AM
Ian Spare

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:08:03 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

That's way too long from what you say. How much was a great bargain
though? I've a pair of Atomic betacarvs at 170 I paid 100euro for,
that sort of proce isn't so unusual around the Alpes. The full list
price for own brand skis in Decathlon's pretty reasonable as well.

There at this moment at 60Euro's at a Dutch auction site...
Renting beta carve's will cost me about 100 Euro's in Serfaus. Where did you
pay the 100 Euro's? Normal ski-shop?

The intersport in Kaprun, I was up on the glacier in the summer and
it's a good time to buy last years kit. There's still probably some
shops trying to sell last years gear.

Dumb seasonal question - any advice? Tom Snowboarding 3 March 23rd 04 07:49 PM
Intro and question Ken Campbell Snowboarding 6 January 30th 04 06:53 PM
ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 09:25 PM
old skis John General 0 January 6th 04 04:15 AM
Question on new boot fit (off slope) toddjb Snowboarding 1 October 9th 03 03:55 PM