more on "levels", or beginner looking for advice

Old October 11th 04, 04:27 AM
Dmitry

Default more on "levels", or beginner looking for advice

Hi all.
Ok, since the white stuff is still at least a month away and kitesurfing season is
over for me, I thought we can at least have some fun with just words

Here's my situation: I'm a pretty accoumplished [very small print] snowboarder
[/end very small print], had over 30 days on the mountain last season. Decided
to leasn skiing this coming season. Reasons: want to be able to have some
fun on those icy days, on moguls, plus I just like learning new things.

On one of the last days of the last season I rented some ski boots, got
a Volkl G3 from a friend and gave it a shot (it was on Crystal mountain).
By the end of the day I was zipping through blue runs with "surprisingly
good technique" (words of my ski instructor friend, moved out of the city
since then :-/) at mach2 speeds and actually had quite a bit of fun at that.

Goals for this season: be able to handle any terrain on skis, specifically
any moguls including steep ones, steep chutes (Couloire at Whistler!),
maybe banked slalom at Baker

The reason I'm posting here is because I'd like to figure out what are
the best ways to speed up the learning curve and what techniques/equipment
I should try that might help me get the most out of my stronger sides.

I'm a skinny tall guy (155-165 lbs, 5'11") and what I have on the positive
side is a very good body coordination, balance and quickness of
reactions. Negatives are lack of raw strength and unwillingless to work
too hard while on the mountain . But I'm pretty well fit these days
nevertheless.

I was told by some of my friends in the know that what I'll probably
be better off with stiffer boots and very stiff short slalom or skicross
skis. So I got Tecnica Icon Alu boots (with Intuition liners, very comfy!),
and Atomic SX:9 skis in 170cm. Both off eBay in the end of last
season, ridiculously cheap (AFAIR, $210 for the boots, $230 for skis
and $130 for SX:614 bindings, all brand new). Skis are not the stiffest
out there, but I thought they should be enough for me for at least 10-15
days out. Also got Nordica Beast skis in 177 for powder days (92mm
waist!), $250 with bindings, used in very good condition.

Now to the questions.
- Boots have flex index 85. Stiffest Tecnica boots (Icon Comp) are at 99,
which is quite a bit lower than what other companies are rating their top boots at.
Are these considered to be pretty stiff? I also got a pair of Nordica Dobermann
Soft (almost full-on race boots, flex 150, race lo-volume last and liners) for
free that fit my narrow feet pretty well, but still require custom fitting work.
I'm thinking they are way over my head for the coming season and I should
leave them alone for now, is that about right?

- Lowest din setting on my bindings is 6, looking at the chart that's about what
I should be setting them at (6.5 or 7 at best). Is this a problem?

- Are there any good known ways to speed up the learning curve from
high intermediate to advanced? I've heard that skiing is known to have
quite level learning curve once you're past beginner level (unlike
snowboarding), this bothers me quite a bit. Any clinics/books/videos
recommendations? I've read "The Athletic Skier" and "Complete Skier:
a Pracical Guide for Skiers" so far, Complete Skier seemed to be much
more informative and to the point to me, but I'm afraid it's quite outdated.

- What's this "magic berm turn" thing you're talking about?

- What ski properties are desirable for which conditions? I.e. what are
the skis to have for moguls? Is deeper sidecut an obstacle for handling
steeps and chutes? How about stiffness for the same purpose? Length?
What about jumps - stiff skis and boots a problem?

- Any other suggestions/advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dmitry

Old October 11th 04, 10:22 AM
peter.creagh

Hi

I was a bit like you when learning in that I wanted
to ski on the most advanced gear I could get. I ended
up buying Volkl P50 GS race carvers. Once you master
a race ski it is like having an instructor with you everyday
as the skis let you know if you are not skiing them right that is you will
be thrown off balance if not centred. I have
semi race boots and would not want boots too stiff as
I would loose my balance especially off piste. Most semi
race boots have adjustable flex for you to experiment with.
Take a lesson and get the instructor to show you what you have to do to ski
like an expert.

Good Luck

Peter

Old October 11th 04, 10:50 AM
Ed

"Dmitry" wrote in message
> [...]
snip
- Are there any good known ways to speed up the learning curve from
high intermediate to advanced? I've heard that skiing is known to have
quite level learning curve once you're past beginner level (unlike
snowboarding), this bothers me quite a bit. Any clinics/books/videos
recommendations? I've read "The Athletic Skier" and "Complete Skier:
a Pracical Guide for Skiers" so far, Complete Skier seemed to be much
more informative and to the point to me, but I'm afraid it's quite

outdated.

You seem to be aware of what you need, so now listen to your own body and
stop listening to others (except good instructors). When you start a turn,
how did the edge engagement feel TO YOU? Does the tail follow the tip
through the turn or do you use the tail as a speed brake? ARE YOU ENJOYING
EACH RUN? If you ever answer no, then it is YOU, not us here in ug, that can
tell you best how to improve. A true advanced skier wanna-be knows the
basics well enough to tweak his/her skill blending to achieve the desired
results. YOU LISTEN TO YOU.

--
Ed C.
(remove eight caps to reply)

Old October 11th 04, 04:46 PM
klaus

Dmitry wrote:
Goals for this season: be able to handle any terrain on skis, specifically
any moguls including steep ones, steep chutes (Couloire at Whistler!),
maybe banked slalom at Baker

That's a lofty goal for your first seaon on skis. Be careful.

-klaus

Old October 11th 04, 05:26 PM
foot2foot

"Dmitry" wrote in message

The reason I'm posting here is because I'd like to figure out what are
the best ways to speed up the learning curve and what techniques/equipment
I should try that might help me get the most out of my stronger sides.

Dmitry

There are only eight or so basic things a person does to make
the ski do what they want it to. The question is, can you and
are you doing all these things? What differentiates an expert
from a novice is the ability to blend these things. But you can't
blend them all until you have them all.

If you want help with your *skiing* in this group, you need to
be able to verbalize what you do when you ski. If you're able
to do that, then one might ask, what are your stronger sides?

Old October 12th 04, 01:10 AM
Jiyang Chen

"klaus" wrote in message
Dmitry wrote:
Goals for this season: be able to handle any terrain on skis,

specifically
any moguls including steep ones, steep chutes (Couloire at Whistler!),
maybe banked slalom at Baker

That's a lofty goal for your first seaon on skis. Be careful.

-klaus

I rememembered I was on black diamonds the 3rd day I was on skis.

Old October 12th 04, 05:52 AM
Dmitry

"foot2foot" wrote

There are only eight or so basic things a person does to make
the ski do what they want it to. The question is, can you and
are you doing all these things? What differentiates an expert
from a novice is the ability to blend these things. But you can't
blend them all until you have them all.

Are you referring to some well-established formal program?
If so, any pointers? It looks like PSIA monthly journal
has quite a few very good articles on technique, but I'm
at loss with figuring out where can I get my hands on the
subscription archive..

Old October 12th 04, 06:57 AM
Dmitry

"Dmitry" wrote

If so, any pointers? It looks like PSIA monthly journal
has quite a few very good articles on technique, but I'm
at loss with figuring out where can I get my hands on the
subscription archive..

Actually, they do have a bunch of articles on their site:
http://www.psia.org/psia_2002/educat...e=tps_archives

Old October 12th 04, 07:02 AM
BrritSki

What ? I thought it was seven ! **** me, are they breeding ?
Old October 12th 04, 07:44 AM
BrritSki

BrritSki wrote:

foot2foot wrote:

"Dmitry" wrote in message

The reason I'm posting here is because I'd like to figure out what are
the best ways to speed up the learning curve and what
techniques/equipment
I should try that might help me get the most out of my stronger sides.

Dmitry

There are only eight or so basic things

What ? I thought it was seven ! **** me, are they breeding ?

Sorry to follow up to self, but it occurs to me that PSIA must stand for
Professional Spanish Inquisition of America