Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

Old April 17th 04, 12:13 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Default Alsgaard signs with... (guess who?)

From the Jenex website:
Marty Hall has got to love this: On Wednesday, April 14, Thomas
Alsgaard signed a contract with the Norwegian National Team. Krister
Soergard said Thomas will be working with us on technique, especially
freestyle. Krister said: "Thomas must have seen how our skiers struggled
last year especially with freestyle technique." So much for the new
Norwegian skating technique.
Old April 18th 04, 04:25 PM

I enjoy your needling a bit Gene, but maybe don't entirely agree.
We've been talking at times about "new skate technique", without
it ever being all that precisely defined. Also the technique tape
from the Trondheim WC's from 7 years ago (not terribly new!) have
sometimes come up in these conversations. But the phrase you use,
namely, "new Norwegian skating technique" I don't recall, but maybe
others have used it (Have I???) Anyway it will be fun to see how
the Norwegians do in the skate races next year. My very indirect
impression about Alsgaard is that he's a really "do your own thing"
kind of guy, not the typical coach's personality.

The actual skate results recently by the Norwegians are of course
way better than those of skiers coached by some of the names of
US coaches you've brought up, e.g. Marty Hall and Borowski, I suspect.
So are you judging the value of the technique on the basis of
the self-satisfaction it induces in skiers, rather than the actual
speed they get in races? The Norwegians are expressing a low level
of self-satisfaction, from that quote, but that's probably an
ominous sign for their competitors!

Best, Peter
Old April 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Greg Fangel

You're absolutely right, Peter about Alsgaard being a "do your own thing"
skier. He admitted that when we saw him here in the Twin Cities last fall.
In fact he said that the Norwegian coaches were quite upset with him, not
following their regime. It will be interesting to see how he does as a
coach.

Greg Fangel

Old April 18th 04, 07:05 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

At the highest levels of sport, the role of a coach can be helping the
athlete find what works for him/her, not just imparting standardized
knowledge.

JT
Old April 18th 04, 07:59 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Earth to Peter...
That little paragraph was copied (and referenced) directly from the
Jenex website, written by Len Johnson. That was easily verifiable (a
little jumpy, eh?). While I also noted (to myself) Alsgaard's earlier
claim about being an independent sort, when it came to technique I
didn't entirely believe it. Whether he was or not, he had to have
learned a few things along the way that will be of great value to the
Norwegian team members.

Gene

Old April 19th 04, 03:37 PM

OK, Gene, NEWSKATE has touched down, over and out (or whatever they say).
Sorry for assuming you were the author of the clever dig about "so
much for the new Norwegian skate technique"! I guess one shouldn't
even assume a quote with no accompanying comment implies tacit
agreement with the quote.

Best, Peter
Old April 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

No, just an FYI about Alsgaard that wasn't worth rewriting. I don't
really know what Len was referring to.

Old April 20th 04, 06:37 AM
Anders Lustig

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message ...

From the Jenex website:
Marty Hall has got to love this: On Wednesday, April 14, Thomas
Alsgaard signed a contract with the Norwegian National Team. Krister
Soergard said Thomas will be working with us on technique, especially
freestyle. Krister said: "Thomas must have seen how our skiers struggled
last year especially with freestyle technique." So much for the new
Norwegian skating technique.

Apropos of this: there has been some discussion about
the Norwegian skating situation in "Ski Sport": it´s
wondered how technique coaching could go wrong despite
having two great models around years ago; apparently
they were seen as too individual and the coaches wanted
to develop a more "textbook" technique without really
understanding thee free technique and how it´s still
eveolving.

(The biathletes had no such qualms about simply trying
to imitate as best as they could.)

http://www.skisport.no/pdffiles/friteknikk.pdf has a
sequence of photographs and an explanation why Alsgaard
was so great on hills _and_ after them - but I won´t
mangle it by translating...

The most recent issue has an article about the studies
done to compare "padling" and "dobbeltdans" on different
types of hills.

Anders
Old April 20th 04, 01:38 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Thanks! It's a long article, but it sure would be nice if someone in
the US translated it -- or at least the most relevant portions.

Gene

Anders Lustig wrote:

From the Jenex website:

Old April 21st 04, 08:04 PM
Terje Henriksen

"Greg Fangel" skrev i melding
You're absolutely right, Peter about Alsgaard being a "do your own thing"
skier. He admitted that when we saw him here in the Twin Cities last fall.
In fact he said that the Norwegian coaches were quite upset with him, not
following their regime. It will be interesting to see how he does as a
coach.

He will assist the head coach, his friend Krister Sørgaard from Kirkenes.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes