oldest boarder/instructor - Tremblant - 74-

Old February 27th 05, 03:48 PM
Paul

Default oldest boarder/instructor - Tremblant - 74-

Re the old boarder, we have an instructor here who is 73 or 74 and still
teaches every day. He is in great shape...
Pat Cunningham Tremblant Snow School

Paul

Old February 27th 05, 09:02 PM

Hi-ya Paul: Just noticed your post !

I will be 85 on 4/27/05 and have taught many of our 70+ Club Men and
Women Members to both ski and board. (As you know 70+ Club Members
ski/board free of lift ticket prices at many areas including Canada for
many years.)

I've been skiing since 1928 (4/27/20) with my grammar school neighbor
girl classmate who's Norwegian family lived across the hall from us in
an apartmrnt bldg in Chicago. Her Dad made her short skis and
wire-bindings and modified some boots for her but NO poles. He didn't
want her skiing alone so he and my Dad made duplicate equipment for me.

We skied in Ogden Park, Chicago Southside and several frozen snowy golf
courses around Chicago. Problem at 8 yrs old was getting back up the
course mound/hill. No lifts then or now. Same problem at 85.

Been down-hill skiing ever since, taught wife, 4 daughters and 8
Grandkids to ski without poles from Maine to Tahoe. I started them on
skis at 5 with padding but without poles and try to get them on short
boards ASAP and forever more...no skis.

Same with the 70+ folks. Some won't even think "boards" until shown the
differences and conveniences of boards.
They will fall, of course, but NEVER from crossed skis. Before we start
I show them several Training Videos and make very sure they're well
padded...fanny, hips, knees and can afford or rent a "must have" helmet.
Encourage 'em, check bindings, shove 'em off, get out-of-the-way and
pick'em up. That's it !

Kind regards to you and Tremblant, a great winter or summer resort.
2/27/05

Old March 2nd 05, 05:06 PM
Eric

I'm 22...30 seems far off to me! Nice to hear your inspiring story,
hope I can still be in good enough shape to ride in my eighties!

Eric

Old March 2nd 05, 05:07 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Eric wrote:
I'm 22...30 seems far off to me!

22 doesn't seem that far behind, and I'm 43. It just kinda sneaks up on
you.

Neil

Old March 2nd 05, 05:31 PM

Eric, my dear young 22 yr old man ! As HOME DEPOT says:
'You can do it.....we can help !"
What's important ?
1 Before hopping on lift, check all eqpt, sunglasses, clothes,
candybar/sandwich, working cell-phone, etc.
2 Board/ski with caution. Take minimum chances.
3 Look both close and way, way ahead for boulders, stopping terrain and
"stopped-in-middle-of-run" skiers.
4 You KNOW when you tire ! Quit before your LAST run. Try it tomorrow
!
5 Let's hope you might even join the 70+ Club and board/ski FREE....I
said FREE !

"You can do it !" Paul 3/2/05

Old March 2nd 05, 07:23 PM
Champ

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:07:46 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
wrote:

Eric wrote:
I'm 22...30 seems far off to me!

22 doesn't seem that far behind, and I'm 43. It just kinda sneaks up on
you.

Heh - it always looks closer looking back than looking forward.
--
Champ
Old March 2nd 05, 08:24 PM
mindpowerz

This has been posted before, but the oldest I've heard about is 90!!!

There's something about it in Focus magazine (out now in the UK).

George Blair ('Banana George' apparently) based in Winter Haven,
Florida. Still boards 45-60 days a year and is also the world's oldest
barefoot waterskier!