Thanks for the snow smarts

Old January 6th 04, 05:07 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Thanks for the snow smarts

Thanks to everyone in the group for all the excellent reponses to my
"Snowboarding or skiing?" query. The ideas and suggestions were very
helpful. I've decided that my son and I will try boarding first. After some
lessons and practice days on the slopes, if it's definitely not working for
us (or one of us), we may give skiing a try, but I don't think it will come
to that. And I will certainly consider step-in bindings when I'm ready to
purchase equipment.

I went ice skating tonight and when I came out, there were light flurries
falling. Finally some wintry weather in Pittsburgh! Now I'm wondering if we
might be able to take our first snowboarding lesson this weekend. I don't
usually think this way, but bring on the white stuff!

Joe Ramirez

Old January 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Mike T

I don't
usually think this way, but bring on the white stuff!

If you like snowboarding half as much as I do, your way of thinking is
about to change, my friend.

-Mike T

Old January 6th 04, 03:31 PM
Baretta

You'll have fun - especially if you're going with your kids.

I just came back from a week with my kids. Both my kids ski pretty good, but
this year they wanted to get a taste of snowboarding. This is my third
season of snowboarding - being a previous skiier myself. I still go back to
the skiis or snowblades on icier days.

For peace of mind, I make it a rule to not "teach" the kids the first time.
Sometimes they take instructions from others better than their parents so I
signed them both up with lessons. I will chime in with "tips" and "hints"
after their lessons as long as it doesn't come across as "telling" them how
;-). Child psychology at work again - LOL.

My 14 year old son stayed for the lessons and spent the rest of the day just
half-heartedly trying. He couldn't handle the falling down all the time and
went back to his skiis. He may give it a try again if his friends get into
it. Peer pressure can work for good too! But for now, he's just happy skiing
around.

My 11 year old daughter stuck through the first day and grasped the edging
concept down by the end of the day. Next day she spent with me boarding (I
think just to spite her older brother). I gave her a few tips on linking her
turns and she picked it up no problem. Had her going down the green and blue
runs without difficulty. By the end of the day, we managed to do a few runs
down the easier blacks. Told her just to leaf it through the steeper
sections if she wasn't comfortable and work on her speed on the easier part
of the slope. She surprised me with how quickly she picked it up. I remember
it took me about half-dozen times out when I started to get through the
turns properly - Yes, at one point I was ready to pitch that snowboard!

btw - don't skimp out on the helmet use for yourself or the kids. Catching
the heelside edge and falling backwards leaves you in an awkward position to
brace your fall, quite often smacking the back of your head. Been there,
done theat - and don't want to do it again. The kids are more resilient, but
you may want to atleast wear some wrist guards, knee pads until you get over
the falling part.

Have fun. If you can persevere through the falls, bumps, aches and pains,
you're in for a great time this winter.

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message
[...]

Snow Skate questions Doug Kanter Snowboarding 2 December 30th 03 09:37 PM
It's Dumping Snow All Over !!!!!!! Greg Snowboarding 0 November 19th 03 07:13 PM
December snow ? Richard Snowboarding 21 October 24th 03 02:28 PM
LLBean Snow Boots for Sale RR Snowboarding 0 October 18th 03 08:48 PM
Whistler snow! VIP Mountain Holidays Snowboarding 1 September 16th 03 09:08 PM