I am in the STATES!

Old June 5th 04, 06:25 AM
Olaf Timandahaff

Default I am in the STATES!

They let me into the States yesterday!
Good thing I had a name to drop too. The customs guy asked me if I knew any
Americans that'd vouch for me.
[I have no passport because I'm too lazy]
Anyways for some vile reason I blurted out, "Spock Abraham"
This guy says "WHAAAT?
What's your name!? "
I tell him same as on my driver's licence.
He's like "naw what's your nym then?"
"OH,,, Olaf Timandahaff"
He's "Oh yeah, I know you, you're OK, have a good vacation Olie"
I was all sparked up that Spock had that much drag down here.

I am in North Carolina and a bolt of lightning nearly hit me, I could smell
the ozone! I'm gonna put in a complaint about Scott with Environment USA or
North Carilina Tornado watch or whatever they have here. That must've been
his fault!

I have never been this far south before, I was expecting like palm trees and
hula dresses. It's not like that at all.
They have all these big evergreen pine trees.
It's goddam hot and humid too, I don't think I'd like it in mid July, I sure
hope the weather stays cloudy or I'll really be in the ****.

I had grits too, we call that porridge, eh?
I threw a bunch of my rags away and bought some new duds today, what else?
Golfers would probably know about this place, it's called Pinehurst and I
gather it is like Vail or at least Breck is to skiing. Lucky me, I don't
play golf.

Well I see Scott left, I guess he has found a new home with what's_it's_net.
He should come down here, there's lots of vile freaks!
They are polite and I notice they are good drivers too. I saw a big good ole
boy stick a half a can of tobacco in his mouth. I think I'm going to take
that hobby up.

Thanks for letting me in your country, you'll be happy to know I haven't
wrecked anything [yet] and have spent a load of dough too.
OT

Old June 5th 04, 01:12 PM
Dick Gozinya

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 06:25:15 GMT, "Olaf Timandahaff" wrote:

[...]

Spock is about to be "beamed" into your area, and while you are at the tee blocks on number 7, he will creep up behind you (like a Navy seal pumped up on napalm)......
Old June 5th 04, 02:45 PM
jvwalker51

On 6/5/04 3:15 AM, in article , "Ted
Waldron" wrote:

On 4/6/04 23:25, in article ,
"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote:

I have never been this far south before, I was expecting like palm trees and
hula dresses. It's not like that at all.
They have all these big evergreen pine trees.
It's goddam hot and humid too, I don't think I'd like it in mid July, I sure
hope the weather stays cloudy or I'll really be in the ****.

Compare to the Humidity in DC or god forbid, Parris Island, South
Carolina, NC is pretty tolerable in the summer. If one likes golf, there is
always Pinehurst and I think the fable No.3 course. It is a great place to
grow a summer garden. Chapel Hill is not a bad place to hang out. There
are the Smokies, the Biltmore, Thomas Wolfe's boyhood home. If one like
steak houses, then the place is true paradise, with it seems like frequency
of steak houses as much as there are Espresso stands in the Pacific
Northwest.

Ted
Drinking ice tea from a Mason Jar...

Actually Ted, It's Course No. 2. Outside of myself and my wife, our entire
family lives there as does my wife's. I lived there for 10 years and both my
kids were born there. The state has several micro climates - the eastern
side of the state is far different than the mountains. Chapel
Hill/Raleigh/Durham in the summer actually can be quite humid and hot and
nasty. Last week it was in the mid-90's with some rather intense thunder
storms. I had to spend some time visiting my parents and daughter. In the
south eastern you have all the snakes, alligators - There are some huge ones
in the Cape Fear River around Wilmington. Spring (March and April) are
wonderful. The demarcation for the weather is roughly around where I-85
intersects the state. Charlotte/Greensboro corridor is much less humid. The
mountains are called the Smokies and they are gorgeous. Most people don't
realize that the Appalachians are at their highest level in NC. Mt.
Mitchell is the highest peak in the whole chain. In the summer, temps
rarely get out of the lower 80's and it's frequently cooler than that. The
Blue Ridge Parkway is gorgeous. The Great Smokie National Park is the most
popular national park in the country (measured by tourist visits). My great
(x4 or 5 times) grandfather was a Methodist circuit rider in the late 18th
century in Western NC and started several churches in the rural areas, one
of which is listed as a national historical site. If any one wants more
info, feel free to contact me but I think you will find a vacation to your
liking there (We're heading to the Outer Banks in July not far from Kitty
Hawk) and I will be spending some time in Newland in the mountains playing
golf.

Regards

Vince

PS Be careful about that iced tea, if you don't request unsweetened tea
you'll get iced tea that has more sugar in it than 10 gallons of Coca Cola.
This time of year the peaches are coming in South Carolina and they are
amazing (To Georgia's consternation, SC produces a helluva lot more peaches
than Georgia).

Old June 9th 04, 06:40 AM
Ted Waldron

On 6/5/04 7:45 AM, in article ,
"jvwalker51" wrote:

..

Actually Ted, It's Course No. 2.

My mistake, the one they played the PGA a couple years back...

Outside of myself and my wife, our entire
family lives there as does my wife's.

I had relatives that lived in Pinehurst, well at the CCNC, if you know
where that is located... Near the Southern Pines, Pinehurst town line. So I
know the two courses at CCNC better than I will ever know the legendary
courses at Pinehurst..

I lived there for 10 years and both my
kids were born there. The state has several micro climates - the eastern
side of the state is far different than the mountains. Chapel
Hill/Raleigh/Durham in the summer actually can be quite humid and hot and
nasty.

I spent summers in the Sand Hill country, and compare to the times that I
had spent in South Carolina and Virginia near Williamsburg, I thought they
weren't that bad, humidity wise, besides they were plenty of lakes around to
cool off in ...

Last week it was in the mid-90's with some rather intense thunder
storms.

Oh you are so lucky, out here in the Northwest we dream of Thunderstorms.
I remember some of the thunderstorms were so scary, as I scatter from the
golf course as a kid. I don't know what is worst, Southeastern US
thunderstorm or Rocky Mountain Afternoon Thunderstorms...

I remember Lee Trevino, said to wave a one iron during a thunderstorm
because even god couldn't hit a one iron... (IIRC, he was hit by lightening
once)

I had to spend some time visiting my parents and daughter. In the
south eastern you have all the snakes, alligators - There are some huge ones
in the Cape Fear River around Wilmington.

Well in Fayetville, Southern Pines/Aberdeen/Pinehurst areas, I was always
told about the dreaded Water Moccasin/Cottonmouths. I remember Gators in
South Carolina, but at least they are not Salt Water Crocodiles.... And
they keep the poodle population in check....

Spring (March and April) are
wonderful.

The dogwoods blooming and nice cool weather, it can't be beat....
The Crepe Myrles are blooming in Late Spring if IIRC...

[...]

I always get my ice tea brisked and unsweetened, anything else needs an
insulin injection to go along with it.....

Ted

Old June 9th 04, 08:38 AM
jvwalker51

On 6/9/04 2:40 AM, in article , "Ted
Waldron" wrote:

snip

I remember that #2 was where Payne Stewart won the US Open just prior to his
death.

My parents have retired to Apex where my sister lives. During the summer
they migrate up to Newland to escape the heat. Newland has a really nice
public course called Mountain Glen - a lot of those courses in the mountains
are exclusive private affairs like Grandfather Mountain. I've always been
intrigued by one called Hound Ears. I've started looking a buying some real
estate around Boone/Blowing Rock (and a couple of other spots outside NC).
If my wife gets ****ed at me, instead of yelling at me she can always drive
to Charlotte to visit her family.

Old June 10th 04, 03:54 AM
TCS

I've always been
intrigued by one called Hound Ears.

Obski: There is/was a "Lost ski area" at Hound Ears.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
The Colorado ski season is temporarily closed.
Old June 10th 04, 06:33 PM
Sam Seiber

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
Geneva basin? Is that what you were thinking of?

Yes, that sounds like it. It's on the right as you drive away from
Georgetown, you could still see lift towers as I recall.

It has been a while since I drove by, but I seem to recall the towers
have been removed. Skied there once, a very long time ago (something
near 20 years).

Sam Seiber

Skiing in Colorado ends this weekend.
Loveland re-opens in about 19 weeks.
Summer Sux.
Old June 10th 04, 06:39 PM
snoig

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
Skiing in Colorado ends this weekend.

For those to lazy to drive or hike maybe.

snoig

Old June 11th 04, 01:49 AM
TCS

What's the one between Georgetown and the highway in Co. called again?
/PRE/HTML

Between Georgetown and what hiway?