got a video to discuss

Old April 6th 05, 09:00 AM
Dmitry

Default got a video to discuss

Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size down to
something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments about
technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that ride
way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):
http://s87087197.onlinehome.us/canyon.avi

Old April 6th 05, 12:12 PM
Switters

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:00:01 GMT, "Dmitry" null@null allegedly wrote:

Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size
down to something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments
about technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that
ride way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):

I'd recommend converting to WMV, which will give you much smaller file for
the same amount of video etc.

On the carving front, I'll leave that to the experts. My carving is ok
with my soft boots, but I don't know enough to analyse and advise.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old April 6th 05, 02:50 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Dmitry wrote:
Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size down to
something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments about
technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that ride
way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):
http://s87087197.onlinehome.us/canyon.avi

On the positive side - you're very dynamic, your knees are nicely bent,
better turns than 95% of the people I usually see.

On the negative side - you're overworking the board a bit and trying to
force it around with too much steering, as a result the tail is skidding
and it's not really carving. If the intent is to make a bunch of quick
short turns, it's OK but if the intent is to show carving, not quite
there yet.

I note there's a lot of bend at the waist. I'd try to keep the knee
bend but also keep the upper body more vertical. Also your back hand is
whipping back and forth, I think you'd be smoother if you brought it out
front more.

Thanks for posting the video. Hope my comments were helpful.

Neil

Old April 6th 05, 05:39 PM
Chris J.

"Dmitry" null@null wrote in message
Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size down to
something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments about
technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that ride
way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):
http://s87087197.onlinehome.us/canyon.avi

Looks very surf/skate influenced. Very stylish except for the hand waving -
try keeping them more down at your sides like a gunslinger. The up and down
motion is maybe a bit overdone - I think this is called up unweighting and
it's a necessary skill but there's probably some wasted motion in there.
Make your legs do more of the work.

I need to figure out how to post some video so you all can critique me...

Chris

Old April 7th 05, 12:31 AM
lonerider

Dmitry wrote:
Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size

down to
something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments about
technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that ride
way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):
http://s87087197.onlinehome.us/canyon.avi

You have a very nice aggresive style in your turns - attacking each
turn is avery good way to stay dynamic in your turn. However, I think
you maybe a little too aggressive in your turns. You are overusing your
knees and your shoulders to brute force the board to turn and that is
causing you to skid your turns. Try to relax a lot let the board carve
its way through the turn.

My main general suggestion would be working on snowboarding
"bottom-up." That is to say focusing first on your lower body
(ankles/knees/hips) more and how it extension/flexion of those joints
will affect the board - as opposed to all that aggressive shoulder and
arm movements in your upper body. Try focus on rolling the board onto
its edge and driving your weight down into that edge to turn. That edge
pressure will flex the board and the board's sidecut will carve for
you, the more your angle the board and the more you pressure the
edge... the tighter you turn will be.

In the beginning, it is somewhat difficult to identify and prevent
"bad" shoulder and arm movements (especially *while* you are
snowboarding). So I would suggest trying some exercises that take your
upper body "out of the equation" to let you focus on your lower body.
One execise is to put your hands onto your hips (or into your pockets
if you are brave enough). This will still allow your to use your
shoulders (you true source of upper body power) to drive into turns,
but keeps your hands "quiet" It also helps keep you from "closing" your
shoulders and interrupting your own body rotation. Another variation to
this exercise is to put you front hand on the small of your back and
your back hand on your stomach like a butler.

I see you are bending over at the waist and lower back. This is a
generally a bad habit that everyone does when they are trying to be
more aggressive in their riding. In general you want your back to be
more our less perpendicular to the slope (so you body will be more
forward on steeper slopes). You can lean forward at the hips (which is
not the waist/lower back!) but keep your back straight and even arched
a little... this will give you better balance and power.

You might see some photos of slalom racers and be like "but they do it"
but if you look closely, you will see they are bending at the hips and
not the waist, and that they are bending to keep their torso relatively
vertical. That is a point of confusion many people have when they see a
photo of an expert who is "bent at the hips" or has a "twisted torso"
or even "touching the snow." The visual differences are very subtle -
so what you should look for is "why" they are like that. The first case
is when you have the board tipped over so much on a heelside that you
have to do a "situp" to keep you body vertical - it is your legs and
body that are actually moving and an causing your hips to bend, not
your upper body coming down! For the twisted body photos you see
sometimes when people are doing a big carve (often in powder), it's the
board coming around in it's carved turn that causes the hips to rotate
under the shoulders, the shoulders didn't move. Lastly, touching the
snow, you may have seen some snowboarders SO laid out they there
shoulders/arms are sliding on the snow... again, it's the board tipping
over so much that the snow comes close to the hand/shoulder... they
aren't actively reaching for the snow with their hands. I hope these
examples heIn general, you want to have you back be perpendicular to
the slope.lp explain the differences and demonstrate the "bottom-up"
mentality that I was talking about before.

Finally, your head/shoulder seem to be bobbing up and down quite a bit.
If you are trying to do a cross-under, try focusing on sucking your
knees into your body as board carve under you so your upper body
remains relatively still. Jack Michaud explains this much more
eloquently in this following article.
http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/cross_over.cfm

Here are some good equipment-agnostic articles on the basics of
carving.
http://www.bomberonline.com//article..._the_carve.cfm
http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/the_normII.cfm

Also for expert advice from a high level instructor... trying posting
your video on freecarve.com's riding technique's forum. There is a
veteran instructor named PSR that posts to that board regularly and is
extremely responsive to questions.

Good luck

Old April 7th 05, 11:32 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

"lonerider" wrote in news:1112833911.194806.280770
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

some great comments there!

I'm no expert, but as you asked I'll chip too

I wouldn't be surprised if part of your arm movement
is coming from leaning over the board and that lean
is probably the single most important thing to address.

What you are looking for is called angulation- where you
throw the hips out while keeping the upper body in and
straight, perpendicular to the snow and not the board
which keeps your center of gravity in a narrow cone over
the edge. As was mentioned, thinking about arching your
back will help.

A technique I was shown that helps is to look
more up the hill than across or down. Your turns are
not very extended in this video, but if you try thiis on
a run where you traverse a bit more you will find that
you naturally angulate more with your hips. Its a bit
difficult to describe - when I say look 'up' the hill I
mean you *eyes* look at a point maybe 20 or 30 degrees
up hill from the forward direction of the board, not that
you would turn your head back the way you might check for
traffic comming down.

One other thing - on your heel edge you might want to try
to tuck your butt back in towards the board for better
stability.

Good luck

Mike
Old April 8th 05, 04:06 AM
Dmitry

"Switters" wrote

Okay I finally figured out how to compress a video to get the size
down to something reasonable. Mainly my goal is to solicit comments
about technique and learn something, I'm sure there are guys here that
ride way better than I do. Here's the video (~4MB):

I'd recommend converting to WMV, which will give you much smaller file for
the same amount of video etc.

WMV offers much better compression, but I doubt everyone
will have the right codec installed. I'll just do both WMV and
an AVI with some basic mpeg codec next time.

Old April 8th 05, 04:31 AM
Dmitry

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

On the negative side - you're overworking the board a bit and trying to
force it around with too much steering, as a result the tail is skidding
and it's not really carving. If the intent is to make a bunch of quick
short turns, it's OK but if the intent is to show carving, not quite
there yet.

To me it looks like the "meat" of the turn, while quite short,
is not sideslipping. In the initiation phase id does look like
the "attack angle" of the board is too high and is not really
in line with the vector of the actual travel. But it's just because
I'm shoosing that angle knowing that I'll load up the board,
it will gain some positive camber and hook up.

Do I need to be more forward and much more patiend
at the turn initiation?

I really like making short slalom-like turns and don't
care much for "euro-carving", so the idea was to do
just that - short very intense turns.

I note there's a lot of bend at the waist. I'd try to keep the knee
bend but also keep the upper body more vertical.

That I noticed too. Looks like I'm just instinctively trying
to keep my CG as low as possible for stability, should
start paying attention to torso position more.

Also your back hand is
whipping back and forth, I think you'd be smoother if you brought it out
front more.

I'm using symmetrical duckstance (+7/-7), so getting the back arm
up front will probably result in some [more] shoulder rotation. Is that Ok?

Thanks for posting the video. Hope my comments were helpful.

Oh sure, thanks a ton! I wasn't really aware how useful it is to watch
and analyse videos, should start doing it much more.

Old April 8th 05, 04:36 AM
Dmitry

"Chris J." wrote

Looks very surf/skate influenced. Very stylish except for the hand
waving -
try keeping them more down at your sides like a gunslinger. The up and
down
motion is maybe a bit overdone - I think this is called up unweighting and
it's a necessary skill but there's probably some wasted motion in there.
Make your legs do more of the work.

My guess is that I just have to do that because I'm too light to bend that
board. The suggested weight range is something like 150-195lbs, and
I'm only 145. This is somewhat a concious choice, I like that spring
motion.
But on the other hand, I have yet to find a big enough board that's at
the same time not very stiff and snappy. All I see is either dead noodles
or stiff springs.

I need to figure out how to post some video so you all can critique me...

This one's from Canon S1 IS _still_ camera. I was amazed at its
video abilities - can take 640x480 video at 30fps! Get VirtualDub
for editing, and then maybe encode it to WMA with MovieMaker.
Acually this is not a lot of work at all, takes 5 mins once you've
figured out the workflow.

Old April 8th 05, 04:47 AM
Dmitry

"lonerider" wrote

[...]

Right! That's one of the problems I was wondering about - I'm
always "jumping on" the board to coax it into a tighter turn to put
more weight and bend it, and you're saying be patiend and it'll
bend itself from lateral acceleration. I will definitely follow this
advice and try that.

You might see some photos of slalom racers and be like "but they do it"
but if you look closely, you will see they are bending at the hips and
not the waist, and that they are bending to keep their torso relatively
vertical.

I do have a good feel for what you're talking about, but usually
I simply forget about it when the wind starts singing in my ears
Video is such a great learning tool!

Finally, your head/shoulder seem to be bobbing up and down quite a bit.
If you are trying to do a cross-under, try focusing on sucking your
knees into your body as board carve under you so your upper body
remains relatively still.

Well, again, the reason I'm doing that is to collect enough energy in
my upper body to be able to bend the board in a turn. Not enough body
weight (and obviously skill) to make that board do a tighter turn.

Also for expert advice from a high level instructor... trying posting
your video on freecarve.com's riding technique's forum. There is a
veteran instructor named PSR that posts to that board regularly and is
extremely responsive to questions.

Thanks!