got a video to discuss

Old April 15th 05, 01:30 AM
Dmitry

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

In my book, if there's any skid, it ain't a carved turn. That's not
always bad, often you have to skid, but as I said before it's more to what
you're trying to achieve with those turns - if you are wanting to force it
to make shorter turns than it really can, then you're going to have to
skid it.

Ok, on that particular slope I could go for longer turns or even more
speed. On a more gentle slope of course I wouldn't have to work
the board so much to keep the speed reasonable.

But the main point here I guess is that I could still do short turns
but let the edge work for me longer and harder.

I'm using symmetrical duckstance (+7/-7), so getting the back arm
up front will probably result in some [more] shoulder rotation. Is that
Ok?

Why do you ride duck? Do you like to spin, or ride fakie a lot?

Well, carving or generally riding groomed is maybe 10% of my
time on the slope. The rest is bumps, steeps, trees and whatever
interesting natural terrain I can find. It just works much better for
me riding duck, even though I realize I'm loosing some leverage
on groomed.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, pretty useful!

Old April 15th 05, 01:35 AM
Dmitry

"Christopher Cox" wrote

Next step, ride with a Red Bull (or your favorite beverage) in your front
hand. That will force your body to be more stationary, riding more
upright.

Well, I've been known for riding with a $1200 camera in my hand for
quite some time, taking shots on the fly.. It's actually working pretty
well after a bit of practice

After your comfortable doing this, ride down switch. This forces you back
to the basics, removing any 'comfort' bad habits.

I'm fcuking scared man! Each time I try to ride switch I take a
_really_ scary fall and just stop doing it for the day.. Maybe
borrow a soft board from someone, my current one is just too huge
for learning..

After that, I bet you can perform at the same level, and not be worn out.

Carving is nothing compared to steep bumps!

Old April 15th 05, 01:38 AM
Dmitry

"Switters" wrote

WMV offers much better compression, but I doubt everyone
will have the right codec installed. I'll just do both WMV and
an AVI with some basic mpeg codec next time.

I tend to point people at VLC (http://www.videolan.org/), a free multi-
platform, multi-format media player. It's pretty good.

As a comparison, you had 4MB for 10 seconds, my recent one was just over
3MB for 2 minutes. Although the resolution was a lot smaller.

Yeah I know, the same video would be something like 400k in wmv.

But hey, who's gonna go and install and run a whole new piece of
software just to watch 10 seconds of some stupid dude trying to
look cool on the slope?

Old April 15th 05, 05:46 AM
Mike T

Carving is nothing compared to steep bumps!

True.

Good carving skills will automagically increase your ability to handle steep
bumps though. It's the gift that keeps on giving

Old April 15th 05, 01:11 PM
Christopher Cox

After your comfortable doing this, ride down switch. This forces you back
to the basics, removing any 'comfort' bad habits.

I'm fcuking scared man! Each time I try to ride switch I take a
_really_ scary fall and just stop doing it for the day.. Maybe
borrow a soft board from someone, my current one is just too huge
for learning..

So was I (scared and humiliated), actually, I sucked at it! (Riding
switch that is) I am still not all that great. But, go at it slow, just
like you did when you first started learning how to board. That's the
whole point, reinforcing the basics. You will quickly remember to get in
front, bend your knee's, "hold the walker".

It's an exercise. By all means treat it as such. I would not ride all
day switch. That would be down right demeaning and no fun. (for me
anyways) :-)

Later!
Old April 15th 05, 02:40 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Dmitry wrote:

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

Why do you ride duck? Do you like to spin, or ride fakie a lot?

Well, carving or generally riding groomed is maybe 10% of my
time on the slope. The rest is bumps, steeps, trees and whatever
interesting natural terrain I can find. It just works much better for
me riding duck, even though I realize I'm loosing some leverage
on groomed.

I ride all that stuff too, but with a forward stance (45/40, but with
hard boots). It's not leverage - you've probably got more leverage in
duck than you do angled. It's more about a stance that lets your knees
flex more naturally and allows your legs to do the work. That combined
with having your body face more down the hill means you can work those
quick turns better. Which is a good thing for bumps and steeps.

I note that Eric (PSR) answered your question on freecarve.com with some
similar comments to what you've heard here. He's really the guy to
listen to as he's a real live professional instructor and all of us here
are just weekend warriors with keyboards.

Neil

Old April 15th 05, 06:07 PM
Rick Wilson

Dmitry wrote:
"Rick Wilson" wrote

This one's from Canon S1 IS _still_ camera. I was amazed at its
video abilities - can take 640x480 video at 30fps! Get VirtualDub
for editing, and then maybe encode it to WMA with MovieMaker.
Acually this is not a lot of work at all, takes 5 mins once you've
figured out the workflow.

You can encode straight to windows media video straight from VirtualDub if
you get the right codec. Its quite a bit more efficient and allows for
multiple passes to get better quality. I use VirtualDub for almost all my
editing.

But how about codec avaiability on different windows versions?
Say, will it play on a plain vanilla win2k system? I doubt that..

From VirtualDub with the Windows Video codec it encodes to a straight
avi file. As long as the user has a machine with an avi player that has
the Windows Video codec installed it will play. That means that any
version of Windows with a sort-of up to date version of Windows Media
Player will have no problems with it. If you need a codec pack to try
experimenting with, take a look around the web for the K-Lite Mega Codec
pack. Unfortunately, it is a 20 meg file so I can't just e-mail it to
you. With that codec pack you'll never find yourself looking for codecs
again.

Rick