Bindings ... any tips

Old March 29th 05, 04:38 AM

Default Bindings ... any tips

I currently have a pair of Ride bindings and have used them for about 2
seasons now and they seem to be getting pretty flimsy with the buckle
(it's loose so it just flaps there); does anyone have any good
suggestions on kinds of bindings to go for next time?

Old March 29th 05, 05:43 AM
lonerider

I currently have a pair of Ride bindings and have used them for about

2
seasons now and they seem to be getting pretty flimsy with the buckle
(it's loose so it just flaps there); does anyone have any good
suggestions on kinds of bindings to go for next time?

Well if it's just the rachet buckle spring - having it flop back and
forth is more of a "cosmetic" issue assuming you can still strap in and
release as before. If it really bother's you you could probably just
replace the strap for like ~$20. If you mean the whole BINDING is
getting flimsy. Then you might want to get a new binding.

Did you like the Rides? I like the Ride EX's and have heard the
Tomcat's are really good (but haven't tried them myself). I'm currently
riding a pair of Nideckers 800 Pros (
www.nidecker.com, you might be
able get some 30% off at www.sfosnow.com) which have VERY nice wide
straps and excellent and smooth rachet buckles. Far better than my
Burton P1MDs and my Salomon SP4s. That was all in terms of the strap
rachet mechanism and how easy is it to get into and out of the
bindings. The Salomon SP4s and the Ride EX are rather heavy-duty
bindings, maybe geared more towards freeriding. The Burton P1MD have
extremely "squishy" straps that are comfortable and very good for
tweaking in freestyle. I'd have to say that the Nideckers top them all
in terms of securing your foot, giving you excellent reponsiveness, and
yet letting you tweak you grab a little (not as much as the P1MDS, but
more than the Salomon SP4s).

Before I could suggest a particule binding, I would need to know your
riding ability, riding style, and terrain preferences. Women specific
bindings tend have a slightly different highback design because female
legs tend to have longer, slimmer calf muscles, where as mens tend to
be shorter and stockier.

Old March 29th 05, 06:05 AM
Brian

The teeth on the straps wear out after a long season. Two at the most.
Replace the straps and you're good to go.

oups.com...

Old March 29th 05, 12:49 PM

I'm finishing my second season on a pair of Drake LTD bindings. I ride
about 25 days a season and they are just about good as new. Only real
problems were the paste on Drake name on the heel cups are falling off
(they now mold it in the plastic) and I recently had a strap break.
Otherwise, they are as nice and tight as ever.

Old March 29th 05, 09:43 PM
todd

I love the performance of my Burton Mission bindings. I'd recommend
them, but, the ratchets don't seem to last much longer than a season
for me. Burton will replace them free, but its still a drag (the wire
springs break).

Old March 29th 05, 11:49 PM
Rochelle

I can still strap in and out of them, but it seems to be getting more
difficult for them to "click" in. The rest of the binding is in great
condition and I love the cushioning on the Rides I have. Maybe I'll
take your suggestion and get new straps instead.

This is only my second season riding, so I'm still somewhat a
beginner; I can carve pretty well now but nothing crazy

Old March 30th 05, 12:37 AM
lonerider

Rochelle wrote:
I can still strap in and out of them, but it seems to be getting more
difficult for them to "click" in. The rest of the binding is in great
condition and I love the cushioning on the Rides I have. Maybe I'll
take your suggestion and get new straps instead.

This is only my second season riding, so I'm still somewhat a
beginner; I can carve pretty well now but nothing crazy

Definitely replace the straps then. Here is a link I found by
Googling... (http://tinyurl.com/7xe8q) for $20 for a pair of ankle
straps (I don't know anything about the Technine Baltimore toecap
straps myself). I'm sure you can find them elsewhere, including your
local store... obviously price and quality will vary. For top end
straps ($69)... you can get a pair of Nidecker straps at Catek.com -
these straps are super secure yet comfy, and the rachet buckles on them
are top quality (easy to click in, smooth to release). They are my
current favorite straps. Officially the straps are made to be sold with
the Catek Freeride bindings, but I don't see any obvious reason why you
couldn't use them on your own bindings (email them and ask).

Old March 30th 05, 01:24 PM

"That's great. But the original post was in reference to Ride
bindings. "

Yes, and if you bothered to read it, the OP asked for advice on what
kind of bindings people recommended where this wouldn't happen again
next time. That's why I recommended Drake, because they last.

Old March 31st 05, 06:22 PM
John Davison

I highly recommend Drake. They are great bindings and Drake offers
excellent customer service.

~J.

NNN Auto Bindings Author Nordic Skiing 4 December 19th 03 10:13 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM