Boston Ski Show

Old November 12th 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Boston Ski Show

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:27:39 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 11/11/2013 06:33 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

One more - avoid the lard-free refried beans.

Why? I can't tell the difference between the original and the no-fat
variety. Besides, they're just a base for other good things.

I make my own refried beans, senorita.

Trunky fears me.
Old November 12th 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/12/2013 07:46 AM, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:25:12 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

I saw once that the original recipe for Oreo filling was lard and
powdered sugar.

Oreos aren't worth the calories used to feed them down the garbage disposal.

Decorative frosting for cakes is Crisco and powdered sugar. When my
friend took a cake-decorating class and told me that I never ate the
stuff again. Fortunately it's not difficult to scrape off.

Crisco? Crisco is vegetable grease. I wouldn't use that stuff to
grease the axles on my mountain bike. Real frosting is made with lard
and powdered sugar.

Grandma would NEVER have made crappy frosting like that. Our favorite
was 7-minute icing made with brown sugar, which developed a slightly
crunchy crust after a few hours. Christ, I haven't had that for 45
years. My mom could cook too, but a lot of my grandma's recipes were in
her head. Mom tried for at least a decade to recreate her baked rice
pudding and got it almost right once.

ObSki: Just canceled a ski trip. Snow not expected by December 1.
We'll get 'em next year..

--
Cheers, Bev
Bender: And so I ask you this one question: Have you ever tried simply
Old November 13th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:07:22 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

I saw once that the original recipe for Oreo filling was lard and
powdered sugar.

Crisco? Crisco is vegetable grease. I wouldn't use that stuff to
grease the axles on my mountain bike. Real frosting is made with lard
and powdered sugar.

Grandma would NEVER have made crappy frosting like that.

Like what? The Crisco and powered sugar? Or the lard and powdered
sugar?

Our favorite
was 7-minute icing made with brown sugar, which developed a slightly
crunchy crust after a few hours.

Brown sugar? That's just regular sugar with molasses added.

Christ, I haven't had that for 45
years. My mom could cook too, but a lot of my grandma's recipes were in
her head. Mom tried for at least a decade to recreate her baked rice
pudding and got it almost right once.

ObSki: Just canceled a ski trip. Snow not expected by December 1.
We'll get 'em next year..

I thought you lived is SoCal. It never snows there. We just had our
first snowfall. I heard Cleveland got six inches.

Trunky fears me. Women find me irresistible. Men find me at the VFW.
There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old November 14th 13, 05:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

I saw once that the original recipe for Oreo filling was lard
and powdered sugar.

Crisco? Crisco is vegetable grease. I wouldn't use that stuff
to grease the axles on my mountain bike. Real frosting is made
with lard and powdered sugar.

Grandma would NEVER have made crappy frosting like that.

Like what? The Crisco and powered sugar? Or the lard and powdered
sugar?

Either. She might have used butter and vanilla and sugar and chocolate,
though. Decorative frosting is pure garbage. Pretty, but rotten. I
think she felt guilty about making pie crust with lard and used Crisco,
but maybe not. Her pie crust was perfect.

Our favorite was 7-minute icing made with brown sugar, which
developed a slightly crunchy crust after a few hours.

Brown sugar? That's just regular sugar with molasses added.

I know, but I like it better. It probably costs more if you buy the
real stuff that doesn't have the molasses removed and then replaced and
is probably no different. There was a deadly molasses flood in Boston a
while back, and I think I read about a more recent one somewhere --
within the last 2 months, maybe. How terrible to drown in molasses or
have it smash your house down.

We own some C&H stock. Buy more cane sugar from Hawaii.

Christ, I haven't had that for 45 years. My mom could cook too,
but a lot of my grandma's recipes were in her head. Mom tried for
at least a decade to recreate her baked rice pudding and got it
almost right once.

ObSki: Just canceled a ski trip. Snow not expected by December
1. We'll get 'em next year..

I thought you lived is SoCal. It never snows there. We just had our
first snowfall. I heard Cleveland got six inches.

We get snow in the mountains ~86 miles away, but we were going to go to
Brian Head for a week. That's what we canceled. Local is a day trip.
There was enough man-made snow there for a few runs on Nov 15 last year,
but it hasn't been cold enough to make snow here yet.

--
Cheers, Bev
"A friend is someone who puts the needs of others above their own.
Old November 14th 13, 11:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:36:33 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Brown sugar? That's just regular sugar with molasses added.

I know, but I like it better. It probably costs more if you buy the
real stuff that doesn't have the molasses removed and then replaced and
is probably no different. There was a deadly molasses flood in Boston a
while back, and I think I read about a more recent one somewhere --
within the last 2 months, maybe. How terrible to drown in molasses or
have it smash your house down.

I only use molasses for my famous baked beans. If you used my recipe
for baked beans you would never by Campbell's or Bush's again. I use
a lot of molasses, brown sugar, and I use two ham hocks to make it
meatier.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old November 14th 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

Brown sugar? That's just regular sugar with molasses added.

I know, but I like it better. It probably costs more if you buy the

real stuff that doesn't have the molasses removed and then replaced and

is probably no different. There was a deadly molasses flood in Boston a

while back, and I think I read about a more recent one somewhere --

within the last 2 months, maybe. How terrible to drown in molasses or

have it smash your house down.

I only use molasses for my famous baked beans. If you used my recipe

for baked beans you would never by Campbell's or Bush's again. I use

a lot of molasses, brown sugar, and I use two ham hocks to make it

meatier.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

Pigs used to be bred and raised to produce more fat for lard priduction. Within the last few decades, the fashion has been to breed and raise them for lean bacon and ham. I don't know of any program to breed them for more hamhocks.
Old November 15th 13, 05:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/14/2013 11:36 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

wrote:

I only use molasses for my famous baked beans. If you used my
recipe for baked beans you would never by Campbell's or Bush's
again. I use a lot of molasses, brown sugar, and I use two ham
hocks to make it meatier.

My mom made her own too. She was disgusted with the recent quality of
ham hocks and used bacon instead. She started with cheap "pork and
beans" and added molasses, brown sugar and onions along with the bacon
and cooked it in the crock pot.

Pigs used to be bred and raised to produce more fat for lard
priduction. Within the last few decades, the fashion has been to
breed and raise them for lean bacon and ham. I don't know of any
program to breed them for more hamhocks.

The Burns Institute in Springfield did a bang-up job of producing 3-eyed
fish, perhaps they can work on the problem.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The federal government has taken too much tax money from the
Old November 15th 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:

I only use molasses for my famous baked beans. If you used my
recipe for baked beans you would never by Campbell's or Bush's
again. I use a lot of molasses, brown sugar, and I use two ham
hocks to make it meatier.

My mom made her own too. She was disgusted with the recent quality of
ham hocks and used bacon instead. She started with cheap "pork and
beans" and added molasses, brown sugar and onions along with the bacon
and cooked it in the crock pot.

I beg your pardon. First, I start with navy beans, not some canned
product. And I only use the finest ham hocks. Much better than
bacon. And I only use white onions, not yellow. If you ate mine you
would never go back.

The Burns Institute in Springfield did a bang-up job of producing 3-eyed
fish, perhaps they can work on the problem.

You do know that is a cartoon show? don't you? Montgomery Burns is
not real.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old November 16th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:

I only use molasses for my famous baked beans. If you used my
recipe for baked beans you would never by Campbell's or Bush's
again. I use a lot of molasses, brown sugar, and I use two ham
hocks to make it meatier.

My mom made her own too. She was disgusted with the recent quality of
ham hocks and used bacon instead. She started with cheap "pork and
beans" and added molasses, brown sugar and onions along with the bacon
and cooked it in the crock pot.

I beg your pardon. First, I start with navy beans, not some canned
product. And I only use the finest ham hocks. Much better than
bacon. And I only use white onions, not yellow. If you ate mine you
would never go back.

My grandma was a fine cook who was not above doing things the easy way
when there was no difference in the result. While she killed, plucked
and dissected chickens, she much preferred buying them cut up in a
package. Her parents may have made their own bacon from their own hogs,
but she bought hers in packages.

BTW, the Hormel pre-cooked microwave bacon from Costco and Sam's is
pretty good, and you can have just a few slices in half a minute instead
of cooking it all because it doesn't take any more time than cooking a
few slices.. Not AS good as home-cooked, but the advantages balance out.

The Burns Institute in Springfield did a bang-up job of producing 3-eyed
fish, perhaps they can work on the problem.

You do know that is a cartoon show? don't you? Montgomery Burns is
not real.

I gather you didn't see the tiny-print 'based on a true story'
disclaimer in the end credits. Get a bigger TV, cheapskate.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old November 16th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:

[...]

Your grandma didn't know fine Hungarian cooking.

BTW, the Hormel pre-cooked microwave bacon from Costco and Sam's is
pretty good, and you can have just a few slices in half a minute instead
of cooking it all because it doesn't take any more time than cooking a
few slices.. Not AS good as home-cooked, but the advantages balance out.

That pre-cooked bacon is garbage. My mother or I would never use it.
If it's not worth cooking it correctly it not worth using it. For one
thing, it's not greasy enough. It's the bacon grease that makes
everything taste better.

The Burns Institute in Springfield did a bang-up job of producing 3-eyed
fish, perhaps they can work on the problem.

You do know that is a cartoon show? don't you? Montgomery Burns is
not real.

I gather you didn't see the tiny-print 'based on a true story'
disclaimer in the end credits. Get a bigger TV, cheapskate.

I don't have time to read the credits on a cartoon show. I'm a busy
person. I live a life of action, adventure and danger. I am Iron
Man. I have my own Superhero room. Quickly! To the Vathcave.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

boston ski show down_hill Alpine Skiing 52 November 5th 11 01:41 PM
Ski rentals in Boston? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 2 October 31st 06 11:11 PM
Boston Rob Snowboarding 6 October 9th 06 02:48 AM
Boston Ski shop? Greg Hilton Alpine Skiing (moderated) 2 March 15th 05 08:24 PM
Snowing in Boston Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 5 November 12th 04 11:55 PM