April in Colorado?

Old November 4th 13, 02:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default April in Colorado?

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:37:24 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll. He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind. Too bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good advice.

--------------------------

So what happened? It takes him quite a bit of time to rant like he does, and is just a laughing stock. Why does he do it?

He thinks it's some kind of performance art is my guess. Kill files come in handy.
Old November 4th 13, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

There's a back way through Capitol Reef near Bullfrog Marina at Lake Powell too. Great area! Most of it is just dirt road. But there is one switchback section that I wouldn't want to do without 4x4 if wet.

Old November 4th 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:40:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll. He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind. Too bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good advice.

Really? I say not. It was always a poseur that couldn't ski and didn't give any advice or information that wasn't broad, undetailed, worthless. Except maybe on visiting Vietnam, since it'd been there!
Old November 4th 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:37:24 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:

So what happened? It takes him quite a bit of time to rant like he does, and is just a laughing stock. Why does he do it?

We try to call it "it". It's really less than human.

There is an article written by his brother that tells a much more believable story that ties in with it's more recent behavior that we've all witnessed. Someone here has it and can post it.
Old November 4th 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/04/2013 08:42 AM, pigo wrote:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:23:55 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
There's a back way through Capitol Reef near Bullfrog Marina at Lake
Powell too. Great area! Most of it is just dirt road. But there is
one switchback section that I wouldn't want to do without 4x4 if
wet.

I think Moki-Dugway was dirt when we decided NOT to take the motorhome
down; we wanted to do that drive on motorcycles anyway. So there's a
real road that's nastier than that?

I nearly ran out of gas coming back and stopped at the campground where
the road crosses the river/lake to try to buy gas. A boater gave me a
couple of gallons and wouldn't take money for it. Sometimes people are
nice.

Somewhere east of Capitol Reef I remember a real paved road so steep we
had to unload the motorcycles from the trailer and dump the water tanks
on the monsterhome to get to the top. Theretofore I had thought that a
big engine with an automatic could go up anything reasonable, just
slower. I was wrong.

--
Cheers, Bev
---------------------------------
Old November 4th 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:18:24 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:

Moki is different I think. I'm talking about the Burr trail. Not one of the main roads the last time I took it. There is a hiway that goes through the park too.

Old November 4th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/2/2013 4:54 PM, Toller wrote:

Is there anyplace near Denver with decent snow in April.

A Basin and Loveland have base elevations of almost 11,000' and a
13,000' elevation at the top. They are usually the first to open in the
fall (been open for a couple of weeks now) and stay open long past April.

Never skied either of them, but either would be a good bet for April.

--
//Walt
Old November 4th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:18:24 AM UTC-8, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Back in the 80's, I bought a used Chevy delivery van and converted it myself into a pauper's motorhome - sleeping platform (that perfectly fit the mattress from a convertible sofa), a 20-gallon watertank with a handpump over a sink sunk into a butcherboard counter top, but not much else. The walls and ceiling were paneled and insulated, but it didn't cut the winter cold or summer heat much.

On one of our first trips, I took it down to San Felipe in Baja, and while out exploring one day I followed what looked like a well-traveled road - it was actually a section of the Baja off-road race course that year, which soon ran into a sand wallow in a dry creek bed. I spent most of the afternoon digging out of that, in the middle of which I would have given the keys to anyone who gave me a ride back to the border.
Old November 5th 13, 05:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/04/2013 01:30 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

Back in the 80's, I bought a used Chevy delivery van and converted it
myself into a pauper's motorhome - sleeping platform (that perfectly
fit the mattress from a convertible sofa), a 20-gallon watertank with
a handpump over a sink sunk into a butcherboard counter top, but not
much else. The walls and ceiling were paneled and insulated, but it
didn't cut the winter cold or summer heat much.

We still have the 68 Dodge delivery van we used. We bought a lifetime
battery for it from Penney's in 1975 or so. I think we've gotten 3
batteries so far. Firestone bought out the Penney's automotive service
department, so now we have TWO sets of hoops to jump through. Each time
they triy to convince us to trade our lifetime warranty for a "better"
battery with a limited warranty. A couple of times they've wanted to
examine the van's electrical system (sorry, I brought the battery in by
hand -- how are we supposed to get the van there with a dead battery?),
but when I ask them what part of the warranty demands that they give up.
Allen puts the charger on it every once in a while now, but if
necessary we'll get another one -- no way am I losing that paper!

Plywood platform resting on pipe nipples and flanges with a foam
mattress. Milk crates underneath to hold tools, etc. An ice chest,
replaced several times. A shovel and a roll of TP. Sleeping bags,
pillows, etc. Not sure how many times we crossed the country in it.

Next time we'll rent a car. Much less stressful -- if it breaks, you
just phone for a new one.

On one of our first trips, I took it down to San Felipe in Baja, and
while out exploring one day I followed what looked like a
well-traveled road - it was actually a section of the Baja off-road
race course that year, which soon ran into a sand wallow in a dry
creek bed. I spent most of the afternoon digging out of that, in the
middle of which I would have given the keys to anyone who gave me a
ride back to the border.

I've made theoretical bargains like that, but I'm pretty glad there was
nobody there to take me up on them :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding
Old November 6th 13, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Monday, November 4, 2013 2:52:51 AM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:

It dates back to 1999. He thought that somebody had used
inappropriately the free lift tickets he'd given to him/her and it's
gone downhill from there.

Not really what happened. The lift ticket thing was just an excuse which he didn't think of until well into the blowup

What happened was that Schattie had gotten himself set up as a connection to free and discounted lift tickets for the newsgroup. He'd tell mountains that he was some kind of internet writer, and was influential, and that giving out freebies to the newsgroup would be good internet publicity for the mountain. Remember that the web was still a novelty back then. Of course, this arrangement as middleman benefited him. In return for passing "his" so-called "freebies" on to people, which were of course not truly "his", he expected status, reciprocal gift-giving by them, and of course a double helping of freebies for himself as a kind of droit de seigneur.

Back in '99, he helped arrange a modest group discount on Whistler lift tickets (for which some other guy fronted the money; he had none), and in return demanded that he receive his own compliment of the tickets for FREE, which of course cut quite a bit into the discount that others were effectively getting. There was a lot of negative reaction to this, as you can well imagine: it became quite clear that he was exploiting the group in the guise of being a benefactor. He didn't even have his own condo or hotel room; he wanted to sleep on someone else's couch for free! Very tacky guy.

Long story short, his image, or what there was left of it, or what there was left of his illusion of it, was shattered when people decided not to put up with him anymore. His swollen ego exploded in self-righteous fury, and flamers came from all over usenet to torment him. For awhile, he really was a "celebrity", albeit in a negative sense. Now, he's just a shell of himself.

Dave

Where to go mid april 08 JP[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 October 20th 07 05:46 PM
Colorado conditions last week of March, early April blahdoody North American Ski Resorts 1 January 4th 06 12:02 AM
SLC April Jim Strohm Alpine Skiing 1 February 4th 05 02:13 AM
How is S:t Anton around April 1st? Tommy Petersson European Ski Resorts 3 March 10th 04 10:49 AM
In Colorado For A Ski Trip??? Visit Crested Butte Colorado!!!!! PaulC General 0 February 21st 04 07:35 PM