Utah in April?

Old November 2nd 13, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Utah in April?

We are contemplating a trip to Utah in April.
In an earlier post someone suggested skiing in SLC and then driving down to Moab to hike for a few days. That sounds like a great idea.

But where in SLC? Assume I don't know anything.
I have skied a few days in Tahoe a few years back; my wife has never been out of NYS. While I am sure powder is the big attraction, we are looking for groomed trails. I don't know, but they had groomed trails in Tahoe, so I am assuming they have them in SLC also. We don't care anything at all about nightlife or restaurants; just want some nice skiing on something better than NYS ice. (seriously... I've been to Gore twice and the upper half is rock hard ice that seems to have been polished! I had much better luck at Whiteface, but I am told I was extraordinarily lucky.)
I am thinking Snowbird because they claim to have good late season skiing and a good vertical. Do they have groomed trails? I see there is not much easy stuff for my wife, but she skis so darned slowly that she doesn't need much.

Would it make sense to take our boots and rent skis there? I am not all that fussy, but getting something to fit my feet is a real chore.

Any advice (about skiing...) wold be appreciated.
Old November 3rd 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Toller wrote:
[...]

The last time I skied in Utah we were in the Park City area. My impression of
Deer Valley and Park City was that they were "groomed to death". Even really
steep slopes were groomed completely flat. People were skiing REALLY FAST there,
because there was no reason to slow down, I guess. I finally ended up down the
road at the little area that had snowboarders and probaly all the telemarkers in
the area. It had some decent bumps to make things interesting. That area has
changed names a time or 2 since then, so I don't know the name. But if you like
groomers, Park City or Deer Valley are for you.

Renting skis suitable for Utah snow is probably a good idea. First time I went
to Utah was Alta, and my 210 cm Kneissel Red Stars from back east were like
submarines.

Old November 3rd 13, 04:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/2/13 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
[...]

First things first: you always take your boots. (Assuming of course that
you've had them properly fitted and you're not just swimming in
personally owned "rental fit" boots.)

I'd be concerned that April is late for SLC - I wouldn't prepay a
package deal. If you roll your own trip spur of the moment you avoid
being melted out, and you can save money if it is a go. I've many times
just showed up in SLC and arranged everything ad hoc - no problems.

Stay in Sandy, a suburb of SLC at the mouth of the Cottonwood canyons,
featuring inexpensive good lodging. Drive your rental to the slopes.

I'd suggest Solitude over other neighboring resort - lower key, good
slopes and easy location, and satisfying easier slopes.

Have fun.
Old November 3rd 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:15:41 PM UTC-6, Bob F wrote:

Renting skis suitable for Utah snow is probably a good idea. First time I went
to Utah was Alta, and my 210 cm Kneissel Red Stars from back east were like
submarines.

It wasn't the skis.

But anyway, what kind of experience do you want? Stay at a nice resort, skiing out the window, après ski atmosphere 24/7? Or a small "anywhere USA" city, nice enough Holiday Inn Express, lower costs but not much feel?

It's getting down to budget. Like LT says, April could be late. Depends on the winter. Could be that Snowbird is the only place open by then?

For a week long trip I'd think a couple at SB. A few in Moab. A couple more at SB or Alta. Substitute SLValley if the resorts are too expensive. But it will feel more like a business trip while you are down there.
Old November 3rd 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:45:37 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Hey, asshole? I'll be in Utah a couple times this winter.

Taking your duct-taped moped?

I am Iron Man. I live a life of action, adventure and danger. Trunky
fears me. Women find me irresistible. Men find me at the VFW.
Old November 3rd 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:20:32 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Hey, asshole? I'll be in Utah a couple times this winter.

Taking your duct-taped moped?

At least I will be there. You won't.

I'm going to Disneyworld.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old November 4th 13, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/2/2013 3:00 PM, Toller wrote:
We are contemplating a trip to Utah in April.
In an earlier post someone suggested skiing in SLC
But where in SLC? Assume I don't know anything.
Do they have groomed trails?
Would it make sense to take our boots and rent skis there?

SLC in April is a viable choice; early April will be a better bet than
late April.

That late in the season, elevation is your friend. Stick with the
resorts above 8000' (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude) for better
conditions. Those with base elevation in the 6000' range (Park City
resorts, Snowbasin) will be turning to soup - unless you have a
particular affinity for skiing slush, go high.

All the resorts groom some of their runs; usually you can count on all
the blues and greens having seen a groomer lately, plus some of the
blacks. Of course, if it's dumping snow it might be hard to discern that
the trail was groomed a few hours ago. All the resorts will have plenty
of ungroomed terrain too.

That time of year the slopes will probably undergo a freeze-thaw cycle
on a daily basis. You might find rock-hard refrozen snow in the morning
that softens up when the sun hits it. Follow the sun.

Alta and Brighton will have the most easy terrain for your wife - in
particular, the greens at Alta are some of the mellowest terrain to be
found at any resort anywhere. Alta blues are pretty tame as well. In
contrast, I wouldn't take anyone without at least strong intermediate
skills to Snowbird. Blues/greens at Solitude are a bit steeper than
their counterparts at Alta/Brighton, but your wife should find plenty to
ski there.

Renting vs bringing skis is a tossup. Definitely bring your boots. It
is impossible to ski in rental boots - just look at how the people in
rental bots ski. You don't want to ski like that, do you?

--
//Walt
Old November 4th 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/4/2013 2:54 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 11/03/2013 03:03 PM, wrote:
I'm going to Disneyworld.

I just saw an ad for a Disney cruise. I can't imagine a better preview
of Hell.

"It's a small boat, after all.
It's a small boat, after all."

Yeah, I think I'd have to swim for it.

--
//Walt

Where to go mid april 08 JP[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 October 20th 07 05:46 PM
Samoens in April [email protected] European Ski Resorts 3 February 13th 06 10:23 AM
Skiing in April [email protected] North American Ski Resorts 4 December 25th 05 01:45 PM
SLC April Jim Strohm Alpine Skiing 1 February 4th 05 01:13 AM
How is S:t Anton around April 1st? Tommy Petersson European Ski Resorts 3 March 10th 04 09:49 AM