Cog Railways and Top Ski Pass - Jungfrau region

Old August 9th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Default Cog Railways and Top Ski Pass - Jungfrau region

In article ,
Ace wrote:
On 8 Aug 2006 17:02:31 -0700, "Cecilia in Rio"
wrote:
You need extra payment only from KleineSheidegg to the very top of
Jungfrau. It worths every penny.

Except there's no skiing from Jungfraujoch.

Ah, say what?
Maybe if you are a pure Alpine downhiller.
I plan to ski to the Concordia hutte one of these days.

I am also planning to spend a night there at the Observatorium on the Swiss
as another colleague has.

Old August 9th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

In message 44da2246$1@darkstar
(Eugene Miya) wrote:

wrote:
You need extra payment only from KleineSheidegg to the very top of
Jungfrau. It worths every penny.

Except there's no skiing from Jungfraujoch.

Ah, say what?
Maybe if you are a pure Alpine downhiller.
I plan to ski to the Concordia hutte one of these days.

Yes I've visited the Concordia hutte from both directions, skiing down
from the Jungfaujoch (via a night at the Monchjoch Hutte and another
night at the Finsteraarhorn Hutte), and also skinning all the way up
the Aletsch glacier. What takes your breath are the number of steps to
get up to the Concordia Hutte and its also a lesson in glacier retreat
since the dates on which each of the sections were added to the steps is
displayed.

On both occassions we had to beat a hasty retreat out of the Oberland in
very poor weather conditions, thus limiting our ambitions to also climb
some of the higher peaks such as the Finsteraarhorn.

We've discussed another possible trip for a future ski-tour and the
suggestion is to use a helicopter drop off rather than the train next
time.

I am also planning to spend a night there at the Observatorium on the
Swiss as another colleague has.

We caught one of the last trains up for the day and then made our way
across to the Monchjoch Hutte. The views at sunset are truely stunning.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old August 9th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Mike Clark wrote:
Yes I've visited the Concordia hutte from both directions, skiing down
from the Jungfaujoch (via a night at the Monchjoch Hutte and another...
the Aletsch glacier.

Ah see you know.

We caught one of the last trains up for the day and then made our way
across to the Monchjoch Hutte. The views at sunset are truely stunning.

Until I spend the night there, I would not go late in the day.

But I spent 5 nice nights at the train station in Kleine Schidegg.
I like the quiet. Except the night all the Swiss Air pilots had a party
with practically no women blasting Shania Twain over the loudspeakers.

Old August 11th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Cecilia in Rio

Eugene Miya wrote:
In article .com,
Cecilia in Rio wrote:
You need extra payment only from KleineSheidegg to the very top of
Jungfrau. It worths every penny.

If it is clear.
Otherwise treat yourself to a fancy lunch.

--

Yes, last Jan there was a day that it was so bad (very very windy
as well) that you couldn't see almost 2 meters in front of your nose.

Had to go to that tee-pee (SP??) in KleineScheidegg to have lots of
beers !!!!
(and take the train back to Wengen as nobody was crazzy enough to ski
down......)

Old August 11th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

In article . com,
Cecilia in Rio wrote:
You need extra payment only from KleineSheidegg to the very top of
Jungfrau. Its worth every penny.

If it is clear.
Otherwise treat yourself to a fancy lunch.

Yes, last Jan there was a day that it was so bad (very very windy
as well) that you couldn't see almost 2 meters in front of your nose.

Sounds like my December a few years back. Jan. I was based in Zurich
for a week, but it was clear on Leukerbad for 3 days. Then I recall
snow in St Anton....

Had to go to that tee-pee (SP??) in KleineScheidegg to have lots of

yes that's the spelling.
beers !!!!

I remember it well. Very strange. That was merely the first of many
teepees I saw in Europe.

(and take the train back to Wengen as nobody was crazzy enough to ski
down......)

It's only a blue from the train station.
And its mostly in the trees. But you do have to get to the trees first.

Old August 12th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Eugene Miya :
In article . com,
Cecilia in Rio wrote:
(and take the train back to Wengen as nobody was crazzy enough to ski
down......)

It's only a blue from the train station.
And its mostly in the trees. But you do have to get to the trees first.

Only a shortish section between the Bumps and the top of the Innerwengen
chair is in trees. And much of the piste is relatively flat, requiring
a fair bit of pole-pushing/skating, if you're not able to schuss it (as
only an idiot would do in the conditions described). It really is a piste
that is no fun in poor weather.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@