Drive from Geneva to Murren/Wengen...

Old November 10th 05, 10:23 AM
Norman

Default Drive from Geneva to Murren/Wengen...

Autoroute says it should take two hours twenty minutes but it looks longer
on the map. The train takes over 4 hours so I'm not sure which to go for.
Has anyone done this drive?

TIA.

Norm.

Old November 10th 05, 01:27 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

Autoroute says it should take two hours twenty minutes but it looks longer
on the map. The train takes over 4 hours so I'm not sure which to go for.

It all depends on the weather. I tend to believe Autoroute, if the roads are
dry and there are no traffic congestions. Things might look a lot worse in
winter if you have to put on chains in the mountains. Your ski resort might
even be snowbound.

Take the train, it is more comfortable and more reliable in winter.

Turan

Old November 10th 05, 06:07 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Turan Fettahoglu turan.fe@invalid:
Take the train, it is more comfortable and more reliable in winter.

Lauterbrunnen, where you'll have to park the car anyway, will not be snowbound,
unless the weather is really, really bad.

The car park will cost you though.

I assume you knew that you can't take a car all the way to either Wengen or
Muerren?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old November 10th 05, 08:59 PM
Norman

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Turan Fettahoglu turan.fe@invalid:
Take the train, it is more comfortable and more reliable in winter.

Lauterbrunnen, where you'll have to park the car anyway, will not be
snowbound,
unless the weather is really, really bad.

The car park will cost you though.

I assume you knew that you can't take a car all the way to either Wengen
or
Muerren?

Um, no actually. I knew they were pedestrianised but thought there'd be a
car park somewhere. Might have to cross them off the list of possibilites.

Adrian

Old November 10th 05, 09:42 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Norman :
I assume you knew that you can't take a car all the way to either Wengen
or
Muerren?

Um, no actually. I knew they were pedestrianised but thought there'd be a
car park somewhere. Might have to cross them off the list of possibilites.

Well, train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is only about 10 minutes, and they
run every 25 minutes or so. To Muerren they run every 15 minutes but it
takes about 30 minutes including a change at the top of the funicular.

But the trains round there are very good and right down to Interlaken is
covered on the ski pass (if you get the whole Jungfrau region one) so
there's not a lot of point in having a car there if you're staying at
Wengen or Muerren.

We stay in Lauterbrunnen and take our own car. But I don't think we'd
hire one if we were flying.

Adrian
Old November 11th 05, 12:23 AM
Ace

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:23:13 GMT, "Norman" wrote:

Autoroute says it should take two hours twenty minutes but it looks longer
on the map. The train takes over 4 hours so I'm not sure which to go for.
Has anyone done this drive?

Not as such, but I've probably done all of the bits of it. I guess
it's taking you along the valley towards Sion then left through the
Lotchberg tunnel, thence down to Thunsee then along to Interlaken. 2.5
hours? Yes, I imagine that's realistic unless there's heavy traffic.
And most of that would be going the other way at peak skiing arrivals
time, as the tunnel connects north and west CH to the Valais resorts.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 11th 05, 09:55 AM
Turan Fettahoglu

... then left through the
Lötschberg tunnel, thence down to Thunsee then along to Interlaken.

One more reason to come by train. You have to put your car on the train
through the Lötschbergtunnel, and the fare is quite high.

IMHO the best ski resort is one where you can put on the skis right at the
hotel door and do not have to drive to the ski lifts.

Turan

Old November 11th 05, 10:28 AM
Norman

"Turan Fettahoglu" turan.fe@invalid wrote in message
... then left through the
Lötschberg tunnel, thence down to Thunsee then along to Interlaken.

One more reason to come by train. You have to put your car on the train
through the Lötschbergtunnel, and the fare is quite high.

IMHO the best ski resort is one where you can put on the skis right at the
hotel door and do not have to drive to the ski lifts.

Turan

The problem with the train, and I love trains, is that our return flight is
10.20 from Geneva and there doesn't seem to be one that will get us back
that early. We might have to settle for somewhere nearer Geneva. Anyone have
any experience of Villars, Verbier, Gstaad, Saas Fee or Megeve?

TIA

Norm.

Old November 11th 05, 12:17 PM
Johannes

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:55:38 +0100, "Turan Fettahoglu"
turan.fe@invalid wrote:

... then left through the
Lötschberg tunnel, thence down to Thunsee then along to Interlaken.

One more reason to come by train. You have to put your car on the train
through the Lötschbergtunnel, and the fare is quite high.

Imho this route is rubish. The Rhone Valley is LONG from Lake Geneva
up to Goppenstein. You go better over the Freeway: Geneva - Lausanne -
Berne - Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen.

Johannes
Old November 12th 05, 07:47 AM
Johannes

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:23:13 GMT, "Norman" wrote:

Autoroute says it should take two hours twenty minutes but it looks longer
on the map. The train takes over 4 hours so I'm not sure which to go for.
Has anyone done this drive?

If you go to Wengen is the Euro Airpot at Basel the better choice.
Easy Jet and BA fly to Basel from UK.

Johannes

No more EasyCar at Geneva gronski European Ski Resorts 0 April 27th 04 08:18 PM
Transfer from Geneva to Les Arcs and back!! Lewis Barclay European Ski Resorts 8 December 23rd 03 02:52 PM
Transfer from Geneva to Les Arcs and back ... Lewis Barclay Snowboarding 0 December 19th 03 09:55 AM
geneva SJ European Ski Resorts 4 December 13th 03 06:46 AM
cheap 'n' cheerful hotel, close to Geneva? Steve European Ski Resorts 1 November 5th 03 12:45 PM