Avalanche Center News (and Sale)

Old May 1st 05, 11:55 PM

Default Avalanche Center News (and Sale)

An Update from the Avalanche Center
http://www.csac.org/
April 28, 2005

Online in html: http://www.csac.org/Organization/updates/
Translations: http://world.altavista.com/ (Opens in new window)

(To translate this update enter the URL
"http://www.csac.org/Organization/updates/" and then follow the link on
the translated page to this update. This way the entire page/update is
translated.)

[Not all updates are posted to newsgroups, and some that are are
edited. If you would like to receive full versions of these by email
you can subscribe at:
http://www.csac.org/cgi-bin/csac-md....dates:csac.org ]

Quick Contents:

End of Season Avalanche Store Sale
Glossary Use Acknowledgement
Final Note (Spring Safety Info)

There has not been an update since December 2004 when the fundraising
auction ran. This is a reflection of how overloaded I've become running
the project, and this year was especially difficult since it started
out with a huge loss to our credit card processing system. (See
http://www.csac.org/News/ for more details on that, as well as other
issues which set things back last fall.)

This update is primarily for a couple short but overdue announcements.
When I have time to think again there will need to be an additional
update or two, supplemented by discussions on the forums, in order to
help determine the future of the project. After ten years I can no
longer run a non-profit public service project of this magnitude
without more involvement from others. But more about that later, for
now there are two important things to announce.

End of Season Clearance Sale
============================

As usual we have some inventory we'd like to get rid of for the summer
which is on sale. Your purchase of these sale items also helps our cash
flow for the summer and fall when we have continued basic expenses to
cover and essentially no revenue. There are no beacons (although we may
have an extra F1 arriving). There are a number of shovels and a lot of
probes, as well as snow study kits and items like that. Everything left
is posted on the sale page:

http://www.csac.org/store/sale.html

We can still special-order other items for you, but if its not on the
sale page its not in stock until fall and will take a few days to a
couple weeks to ship if special ordered. (Inquire if time is an issue,
as always.) If it is on the sale page we're anxious to get rid of it
and can ship it within a couple days, at the longest.

If you are a contributor you can log in and use the special sale page
for even lower prices.

I've given some thought to holding a spring auction with a combination
of store inventory and items left from the fall fundraising auction.
For many years we had very little left from the fall auction but
participation last December was very disappointing and there are some
items left on hand. Due to travel for reasons other than the CSAC I've
been unable to make time to run a spring auction so far. I may still
try it but suspect that mid-May will just not draw enough interest.

I've also tried to make use of our eBay account again and did sell one
shovel there. Some items may still be sold that way. But again it can
only be done when I have the time to monitor it, until other people get
involved in an active and reliable manner. There is a link to a list of
our current eBay auctions on the store page. Its currently empty, but
watch it to see what happens in the future. Any internal auction
experiments will also be linked there.

Glossary Use
============

I have meant for a while to recognize the use of our glossary by the
Central Sierra forest service advisory. They are glossing their
bulletins in a way that looks almost like the results of our own
scripts. This is welcome and we're glad to see them using our
resources.

A year or two ago we were asked repeatedly by another US Forest Service
center about using the glossary. I encouraged this, and that request
was the reason a prominent link to return to wherever you came from was
added to each entry. After several reasonable requests they came out
and asked if they could just take a copy of our glossary to use,
without linking to our site. There is no good reason for that, and the
glossary is constantly in progress and being updated.

That center ended up doing something else, since it seems to be agency
policy not to acknowledge anything done outside. Links to the CSAC from
any Forest Service site are rare, and the same can be said about other
nonprofit sector projects.

So I'd like to acknowledge this productive use of our resources by the
Forest Service Central Sierra advisory, as well as a regular link and
reference to our bulletin archives by the Mt Shasta center.

Final Note
==========

Many advisories have ended for the season. The list of links to general
spring condition information is back in place and can be found on the
main Education Section page (http://www.csac.org/Education/). Since
there is no daily bulletin for most areas in spring it is a good use of
a few minutes of your time to review the various pages linked to. These
highlight some of the important things to keep in mind in spring and
early summer.

I hope in another 2 weeks or so to issue another update with a bit more
on the status of the CSAC as a public service project, and how (and
why) people should consider getting involved to ensure that it exists
as a non-profit into the future. Initial information will be in that
update and those that care enough to help out can then discuss ideas
and plans on a forum which will be set up for that purpose.

Have a safe and enjoyable spring skiing season!

Cyberspace Snow and Avalanche Center (CSAC)
131 NW 4th St Suite 397, Corvallis OR 97330

http://www.csac.org