Trimming skins

Old September 10th 03, 08:07 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

Default Trimming skins

With the uncertainty of the availablity of Tua's in the US
this year, I had to run out and buy some new skis to make
sure I have a pair of Tua's for a long time ;-). Got a sweet
deal on a pair of demo Montours mounted with Targa G3s at
Bent Gate Mountaineering. Of course, this meant I also had
to buy some skins- which brings me to my question- what is
the preferred length to trim your skins at the back of the
skis? I have Ascensions, no tail clip, the booklet just
shows them trimmed with rounded edges about 6 cm from the
end of the ski. The guy selling me the skins suggested leaving
them longer and pulling the excess over to the top side of
the ski?? I don't think I've seen that method before, but
I have an open mind. I'm coming from using the old Ascension
3/4 length skins, so I've never had to deal with glue before,
I'm not sure how well it holds up. Thanks for any opinions-

Tracy Lorraine Smith, who still has my original Tele Savauges
with the original Riva classic bindings... I think it's going
to be interesting being dragged into the 21st century ;-).
But, they WERE the fat skis of their time!

Old September 10th 03, 09:58 PM

Old September 11th 03, 08:19 AM
Peter Clinch

Tracy Lorraine Smith wrote:

end of the ski. The guy selling me the skins suggested leaving
them longer and pulling the excess over to the top side of
the ski?? I don't think I've seen that method before

I have, and I've seen it come unstuck too. Without any pressure on the
top of the ski, the skin tends to work its way off so you have a flap
trailing behind you, which then seems to help the back of the under-ski
skin come unstuck, which then gets covered in ice crystals, and so on
until the skin is regularly falling off.

It doesn't *always* do that, especially with new glue, but I see it
happening more than on skins cut a few cm short of the back (what I do,
with Coll-tex and Montana skins).

3/4 length skins, so I've never had to deal with glue before,
I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Depends on amount of use and how clean you can keep the skins, but you
should get at least one and usually more seasons out of a layer of glue
IME, and if it's still clean you just add more after that, rather than
dissolve the old and completely reapply. I've never done that, but
everyone I know that has says I want to keep it that way... ;-)

Tracy Lorraine Smith, who still has my original Tele Savauges
with the original Riva classic bindings... I think it's going
to be interesting being dragged into the 21st century ;-).
But, they WERE the fat skis of their time!

Some people still use the old Tua Cirques with metal top-plates as "fat
skis"! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old September 11th 03, 06:04 PM

Old September 11th 03, 08:04 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

Thanks for the info, and the links- the Rat tail looks pretty
interesting, I might be able to use the hardware from my 3/4 length
setup to use as the attachment place on the ski for the tail.

Most of my skiing is pretty laid back- Colorado backcountry with
the dogs, with a few hut trips (hence the need for skins) and
forays to Eldora or some other ski area to practice my turns in
the moguls. I'm also pretty easy on my gear- which is why I'm
still skiing on those lovely black and chartreuse Tele Sauvages
and Rivas. I did get T3s a few years ago, after breaking an
ankle and not being able to fit in my old leather boots anymore.

Now all I need is some SNOW!
Tracy Lorraine Smith

lac.stanford.edu wrote:

_ It works okay and then you have enough skin left to cobble
together one of the various homemade tail strap solutions[1]
when it stops being okay. This is one of those things that's
really dependent on where/how you ski. Some lucky people use
glue only skins for years without problems.

Old September 11th 03, 08:35 PM
Hal Murray

_ This is my problem, I'm just not unfumble fingered enough to
never drop my skins. When BC skiing I'm a belt and suspenders
kind of guy.

How do you use a belt or suspenders to keep your skins on?

I thought duct tape was what most people used to keep skins on
when the glue wasn't working. I remember helping do it once. It
took more tape than I expected.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old September 11th 03, 09:02 PM
lal_truckee

Hal Murray wrote:

_ This is my problem, I'm just not unfumble fingered enough to
never drop my skins. When BC skiing I'm a belt and suspenders
kind of guy.

How do you use a belt or suspenders to keep your skins on?

I thought duct tape was what most people used to keep skins on
when the glue wasn't working. I remember helping do it once. It
took more tape than I expected.

Well, the glue is the belt. The tail clips are suspenders. The duct tape
is another suspender. And the firstaid kit adhesive tape is tha last
suspender - Used them all, and they all failed, on a trip last season -
EXCEPT the firstaid kit adhesive tape, which saved the day. Who woulda
thunk?

I like belts AND suspenders.

Old September 12th 03, 03:50 PM