TV documentary on ski lift economics

Old February 19th 10, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Default TV documentary on ski lift economics

On French TV, a few nights ago, and fascoinating because it took the
resort I'm presently in (Montgenevre) as its yardstick.

MG has recently added some new lifts, including a new eight-man gondola,
and the network is pretty good: better than I remember, but then I last
skied it a quarter-century ago.

Anyway, turns out the new investment (24 million euros) has meant a 30%
increase in the l;ift pass price over the last three years and, on a
euro-per-kilometre of piste basis, MG is now costlier than the Three
Valleys and other 'grandes stations'.

So they're promoting Vallee Blanche passes, which for a modest extra
sum, give unlimited access to Claviere, Sestriere and Sauze on the
Italian side. Standard pass gives one day 'away'.

There was also a fascinating look at a French website where discounted
passes can be had, because the guy who runs it (and who was filmed
negotiating with the MG resort director) trades space and publicity on
the site for discounted tickets.

Maddeningly, I didn't get the url. Anyone know it? Savings of 15-20%
were mentioned.

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Triumph Street Triple Honda CB400F
Suzuki TS250 Suzuki GN250 chateaudotmurrayatidnetdotcom
Old February 19th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:32:21 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

So they're promoting Vallee Blanche passes, which for a modest extra
sum, give unlimited access to Claviere, Sestriere and Sauze on the
Italian side. Standard pass gives one day 'away'.

That (the one-day option) has long been the norm in the larger
regions. For example, any of the Tarentaise stations gives a free day
in any other, up to a maximum (last time I checked) of three days
away.

The area pass idea is one that's been around in some places for a
while - chez nous one can get an season ZentralSchweizSchneePass which
covers fifteen resorts. It's about the same price as a year-long
Engelberg liftpass, but we stick with that because a)we use it in the
summer too and b) we get a 33% resident's dicount on it, which is
nice.

There was also a fascinating look at a French website where discounted
passes can be had, because the guy who runs it (and who was filmed
negotiating with the MG resort director) trades space and publicity on
the site for discounted tickets.

Maddeningly, I didn't get the url. Anyone know it?

Forgotten how to use google? First hit is
http://www.skiforfait.com/forfait+ski+discount

Savings of 15-20% were mentioned.

In selected resorts, it seems. Definitely a worthwhile idea, although
in some places (e.g. Tignes) you can get such a reduction yourself
with a Carte de Fidelité.

Oh, and further checking shows that for the most part it's only
offering reductions on one-day passes. Longer ones are only available
in a handful of smaller resorts.
--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old February 20th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Ace wrote:

Forgotten how to use google?

No, I'm just lazy because I knew somebody here would know it :-)

First hit is
http://www.skiforfait.com/forfait+ski+discount

Thanks

Old February 20th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_5_]

Gentleman) wrote:

MG has recently added some new lifts, including a new eight-man gondola,
and the network is pretty good: better than I remember, but then I last
skied it a quarter-century ago.

Anyway, turns out the new investment (24 million euros) has meant a 30%
increase in the l;ift pass price over the last three years and, on a
euro-per-kilometre of piste basis, MG is now costlier than the Three
Valleys and other 'grandes stations'.

So they're promoting Vallee Blanche passes, which for a modest extra
sum, give unlimited access to Claviere, Sestriere and Sauze on the
Italian side. Standard pass gives one day 'away'.

It might get a lot more interesting the current Mayor of Briancon has the mad
dream of linking up to Montgenevre that would join the Milky Way to the Serre
Chevalier system. Placing the fringe ski resort smack bang in the middle of a
mega ski area.

Personally I do not like the links in the Milky Way. It might not seem so bad
if you are staying in San Sicario but I stayed in Sestriere. Too many descents
by lift for a truly linked system. Desecnd by lift from Sauze to Sestriere,
descend by lift from San Sicario to Sestriere, descend by lift (mid station)
from San Sicario to Cessana Torinese, descend by lift from Sagna Longa to
Cessana Torinese.
Old February 20th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Ian Blake wrote:

It might get a lot more interesting the current Mayor of Briancon has the mad
dream of linking up to Montgenevre that would join the Milky Way to the Serre
Chevalier system. Placing the fringe ski resort smack bang in the middle of a
mega ski area.

Some people staying in other Go Montgenevre[1] properties went to SC for
a day's skiing. Said it was incredibly crowded[2] and there were too
many button lifts and not enough chairs.

And as we drove through Briancon, heading down, this morning the queue
for the gondola lift out of the town up to SC looked truly epic. But
that would make for a fabulous system, agreed.

Personally I do not like the links in the Milky Way. It might not seem so
bad if you are staying in San Sicario but I stayed in Sestriere. Too many
descents by lift for a truly linked system. Desecnd by lift from Sauze to
Sestriere, descend by lift from San Sicario to Sestriere, descend by lift
(mid station) from San Sicario to Cessana Torinese, descend by lift from
Sagna Longa to Cessana Torinese.

It was worse 25 years ago :-/

[1] A smallish operation, but very, very good. Might use them again.
[2] OK, so this last week was UK half-term and the Parisian kids' break,
but MG was remarkably crowd-free, except at the weekend when all the
Italians came over. I daresay the new lifts they've put in have helped
here.

Old February 21st 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 16:32:58 +0000, Ian Blake squeezed out the
following:

Personally I do not like the links in the Milky Way. It might not seem so bad
if you are staying in San Sicario but I stayed in Sestriere. Too many descents
by lift for a truly linked system. Desecnd by lift from Sauze to Sestriere,
descend by lift from San Sicario to Sestriere, descend by lift (mid station)
from San Sicario to Cessana Torinese, descend by lift from Sagna Longa to
Cessana Torinese.

ICBA to dig out my piste map, but I'm sure I've skied at least halfway
down from Sauze to Sestriere, and all the way down from Sansicario to
Sestriere. The only slightly tricky link, with no lift option, is
Sansicario to Sauze.

We like to stay in Sauze, and with the right travel agent you get a
day coach to Montgenevre for notta lotta euros.

--
Colin Irvine
Old February 21st 10, 09:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Colin Irvine wrote:

ICBA to dig out my piste map, but I'm sure I've skied at least halfway
down from Sauze to Sestriere, and all the way down from Sansicario to
Sestriere. The only slightly tricky link, with no lift option, is
Sansicario to Sauze.

We like to stay in Sauze, and with the right travel agent you get a
day coach to Montgenevre for notta lotta euros.

I really liked skiing in Sauze because some of those runs through the
woods are really scenic, but the skiing is definitely better in
Montgenevre, so I reckon you've got the equation right.

This was the last season we've had to travel at half-term (both kids
will be at uni next season), so I reckon next year the first week in
February will be perfect.

Old February 21st 10, 10:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_4_]

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in message
news:1je9aoq.1cal8ok13i44ulN%totallydeadmailbox@ya hoo.co.uk...
Colin Irvine wrote:

[...]

We were really impressed with Montgenèvre last season. The weather always
seemed better than just across the border, and the village so much improved
since they buried the through-road. Lunch in Italy is a real bonus (cheaper,
too) we made the most of. Have to admit, though, that one particularly
glacial morning we did drive down to Clavière for a head start. But the link
over, although slow, gets my vote as one of the most amazing I've skied,
scenery-wise.
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...ontgenevre.htm

Oh, and if you want to know about the TV documentary (which might still be
viewable online) the team at the Office de Tourisme in MG will know where it
was aired, as they'd have hosted the film crew visit.

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - and Online Magazine with Altitude