Whiteface versus Sugarbush?

Old September 9th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Default Whiteface versus Sugarbush?

I have skied three times in the Adirondacks; twice at Gore and once at
Whiteface. Gore was solid ice both times, while Whiteface was beautifully
groomed snow. However, I am told that I got really lucky at Whiteface; that
it is normally like what I had at Gore.

This winter we are thinking of driving an extra hour to go to Sugarbush
because it is reputed to have better conditions than the Adirondacks. It is
a long drive and an expensive trip, so I would really like good conditions!!

I would appreciate comments (preferably informed...) about any of this.
Thanks.

Old September 9th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

"kevin" wrote in message
I have skied three times in the Adirondacks; twice at Gore and once at
Whiteface. Gore was solid ice both times, while Whiteface was beautifully
groomed snow. However, I am told that I got really lucky at Whiteface;
that it is normally like what I had at Gore.

This winter we are thinking of driving an extra hour to go to Sugarbush
because it is reputed to have better conditions than the Adirondacks. It
is a long drive and an expensive trip, so I would really like good
conditions!!

I would appreciate comments (preferably informed...) about any of this.
Thanks.

Kevin,
What part of the east are you driving from? I drive up from S.Jersey...
When conditions are good Gore is really nice and when I skied both Gore &
Whiteface on the same weekend normally Gore was better. Both can get icy
and you would need to watch the weather and wind reports. What are you
looking for; groomer, moguls, trees, terrain parks, black diamond runs? Are
you or your group skiers, boarders or mix. My favorite place is Sunday
River, ME (1500-2600' vert) is 9 hrs from me. Wild Cat, NH (2200' vert) is
nice 8 hrs, Killington & Pico, VT (1400-2800 verts) can be very nice 7 hrs
( look up VTSkier), Magic Mountain, VT (1000-1500' verts) 6 hrs, small but
nice skier mountain but they were supposed to install a terrain park. I
hope this helps...

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old September 9th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 8, 9:48*pm, "kevin" wrote:
I have skied three times in the Adirondacks; twice at Gore and once at
Whiteface. *Gore was solid ice both times, while Whiteface was beautifully
groomed snow. *However, I am told that I got really lucky at Whiteface; that
it is normally like what I had at Gore.

This winter we are thinking of driving an extra hour to go to Sugarbush
because it is reputed to have better conditions than the Adirondacks. *It is
a long drive and an expensive trip, so I would really like good conditions!!

I would appreciate comments (preferably informed...) about any of this.
Thanks.

There's a reason they call it iceface. Of all the times I've skied
the Adirondacks, I really only had one day that I would say had great
conditions. It was always icey every other time but on the plus side,
it made me a better skier.

Back in my college days, I skied Sugarbush quite a bit. As far as
conditions go, it's always hit or miss. About two thirds of the time
they were good to great and about one third of the time they were
terrible including some of the worst conditions I've ever skied. But
even in the worst conditions, Sugarbush had snowmaking and grooming
going full blast on at least one trail which was pretty good.

So I would spend the extra time and go to Sugarbush unless it hasn't
snowed in awhile and they are reporting 'packed powder' aka ice. Then
it's not worth driving the extra miles for the same conditions.
Fortunately these days you can check the web cams and get a good idea
of what's going on.

Sugarbush Still Open Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 4 May 7th 08 03:44 PM
Sugarbush Ron - NY Alpine Skiing 4 March 3rd 05 10:20 PM
Sugarbush Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 0 July 11th 04 06:20 PM
shoulder twist in skating? Swenson versus Alsgard versus [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 December 10th 03 05:37 PM
shoulder twist in skating? Swenson versus Alsgard versus Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 December 10th 03 12:23 PM